Quantcast
Should you still plug in if you use synthetic oil? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Should you still plug in if you use synthetic oil?

My Ride
    G37X

I say yes especially in these frigid temps. I know that my 98 Camaro hated cold starts and would sputter and die unless I held the gas at 1500 rpm until it warmed up a bit
    even running premium synthetic.

*I ran a diesel style oil pan heater and that worked perfectly.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I always plug in my truck if it’s below about -20 (F150 Ecoboost)

I run synthetic, so does it absolutely need it? No. But it’s a hell of a lot easier on the engine so why wouldn’t I?

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He’s partially right though. Although a block heater doesn’t heat the oil directly and very little conduction heat will make it to the pan it absolutely will (indirectly) get the oil up to operating temperature more quickly.

Very true. My car's oil temp gauge starts reading temps above 30C and if I plug the car in, it will read 30C within a few a minutes of idling. If not plugged in, it takes the same few mins of idling, plus several minutes of driving before it registers 30C. I still plug it in despite my car running synthetic.

For fun will take a look at my OBDII temp readings but imagine the sensor location would greatly affect it.
    Last edited by Akagi Redsuns; 12-27-2017 at 09:47 AM.

Ok, thanks for the replies.

For a small engine such as less than 2 liters, I'm thinking about 2 to 3 hours plugged in should suffice. Correct?

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by Seth1968 View Post
    Ok, thanks for the replies.

For a small engine such as less than 2 liters, I'm thinking about 2 to 3 hours plugged in should suffice. Correct?
    You are better off using a block heater, oil pan pad heater, battery blanket and battery tender. That should fire her right up.

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    You are better off using a block heater, oil pan pad heater, battery blanket and battery tender. That should fire her right up.
    Where are you going to plug all that in haha

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    I've got a 2003 Civic and a 2016 econobox Accent. Neither have any issue starting right up, even in the weather we have now.

I'll call the dealerships and find out if the heater is for the coolant, or the oil, but it seems that stock block heaters are for the coolant.

My Ride
    G37X

I've got a 2003 Civic and a 2016 econobox Accent. Neither have any issue starting right up, even in the weather we have now.

I'll call the dealerships and find out if the heater is for the coolant, or the oil, but it seems that stock block heaters are for the coolant.
    A 4 cylinder car with a good battery should start fine. Bigger engine? Not so much

I didn't plug them in yesterday just to see how they started, and they both started without issue. The Accent sounded just fine, but the Civic moaned and groaned for a couple of minutes.
    Last edited by Seth1968; 12-27-2017 at 11:28 AM.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Whatever I have works, plugged it in last night, this morning, no crazy sounds on start up.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Plugging in is good.

Block heater will warm the coolant and the natural circulation will assist in warming the entire block, heads, Intake and oil.

It’s also preferable from an emissions point of view (if you care).

/Nerd:

Aluminum has a higher coefficient or expansion than cast iron /w aluminum alloy (typical piston material), therefore if left cold the aluminum would “shrink” around the cast causing less clearance and potentially more resistance. It’s probably negligible, i’m just spitballing. An all forged internal assembly tends to slap and make noises until it’s warmed up because of this too. More clearance cold.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    G37X

^ Yup Gen 3 LS engines are a little slap happy when cold..nothing to fret about

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Plugging in is good.

Block heater will warm the coolant and the natural circulation will assist in warming the entire block, heads, Intake and oil.

/Nerd:

Aluminum has a higher coefficient or expansion than cast iron /w aluminum alloy (typical piston material), therefore if left cold the aluminum would “shrink” around the cast causing less clearance and potentially more resistance. It’s probably negligible, i’m just spitballing. An all forged internal assembly tends to slap and make noises until it’s warmed up because of this too. More clearance cold.
    Great group IV or V LNG based pure synthetic lubricants at the right viscosity rating should be good for almost even the most frigid Calgary weather... BUT knowing many of the late 2k vehicles all have phaser based variable valve timing that uses oil pressure... Why "not" plug it in, especially on vehicles with known sensitivities in those valve train (1st gen ecoboost engines, VQs, 5.4 triton even with the updated VCT, VANOS failures)

My T5 volvo for instance has no valve train issue, but its known problems with its PCV (a strange and complex version of one) which benefits at operating all the time at normal operating temp, otherwise it gets clogged and results in problems (also seals)
    So whenever I can, I plug it in or keep it in the garage.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Plugging in is good.

/Nerd:

I was also going to mention this. Warm coolant = Warm block = expanded clearances = easier starting.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

You guys are all wrong you should clearly be storing your vehicles in a climate controlled container with positive pressure preventing any external air from getting in and keep both your oil and coolant heated at all times at exactly peak operating temperature, also who doesn’t have separate heaters for their fuel tank and windshield washer fluid reservoir as well.

Even then you probably shouldn’t even take your vehicles outside, if you do you are just a bad vehicle owner.

This is why hipsters ride bikes and take the bus.

This thread

Mountains and molehills people.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

There are so many benefits to plugging in. Reduced wear on engine, better fuel economy, reduced warm up time and window defrost, oil temps likely to get higher on your drive and that helps burning off condensation and other contaminants in the oil, less emissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    There are so many benefits to plugging in. Reduced wear on engine, better fuel economy, reduced warm up time and window defrost, oil temps likely to get higher on your drive and that helps burning off condensation and other contaminants in the oil, less emissions.
    Even though I've always plugged in my vehicles, I began to wonder if it was necessary to do so since the viscosity of the synthetic oil remains unchanged. This of course was under the mistaken belief that the heater heated the oil. Now that I've found out that the stock heater heats the coolant and not the oil, I'll keep plugging in for the exact reasons you and others have posted
    Last edited by Seth1968; 12-28-2017 at 10:27 AM.

Even though I've always plugged in my vehicles, I began to wonder if it was necessary to do so since the viscosity of the synthetic oil remains unchanged. This of course was under the mistaken belief that the heater heated the oil. Now that I've found out that the stock heater heats the coolant and not the oil, I'll keep plugging in for the exact reasons you and others have posted
    I’m seeing a ton of misinformation about synthetic oil in this thread. Not sure if this is what you’re getting at but To be clear new synthetic and conventional oil will have roughly the same viscosity curves.

5w-xx full synthetic is like molasses at -30.

I’m seeing a ton of misinformation about synthetic oil in this thread. Not sure if this is what you’re getting at but To be clear new synthetic and conventional oil will have roughly the same viscosity curves.

5w-xx full synthetic is like molasses at -30.
    Well, I'm clear on the block heater answer, but now confused as to the oil's viscosity at very cold temperatures.

What about this chart that Mitsu posted?

http://highperformancejunkies.com/5w30-oil-comparison/

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Where are you going to plug all that in haha
    Thats the joke

Also, to be clear, if it is -30*c or lower (before windchill) 5w30 oil will be like molasses if it is conventional oil. That is bad. Plug your damn car in.

Many of the groupiv and v synthetic oils pour nicely even at that temperature. There is certainly a reason to run synthetics in our weather.

End of the day, as mentioned due to the way the metal of the engine expands and contracts, it just makes sense to plug a vehicle in. Less wear, quicker heat, and 5*c oil temp difference makes a huge change in viscosity at those temps (a block heater left on overnight brings coolant temp from ambient of -30*c to over 0*c, you can bet your ass some of that heat gets to the oil).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast