Quantcast
Office Chairs - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Office Chairs

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have several in a meeting room at work and they're comfy af. Lots of adjustment required to find the sweet spot though.
    Is your office as empty as everyone elses these days? Think they'd notice if one went missing?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Think they'd notice if several went missing?
    I'll pay $80 cash money bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Is your office as empty as everyone elses these days? Think they'd notice if one went missing?
    There are some still showing up at the office, but most are WFH. I'm pretty sure I'll be on the Wanted list if I pull one of those out.

I wanted to take my Mirra 2 home and I got the look of "you might want to double-think that".

For now, I just have a simpleton chair that has height and tilt only.

Name:  FFC53605-6EB1-43E0-B4EA-AC429AE4C46E.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  45.9 KB
    Last edited by flipstah; 03-21-2020 at 11:58 AM.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

I got my Mirra 2 yesterday - thanks again for the info about COI selling them used. It's wonderful to finally have a good chair at home!
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

@msommers you still working on a group buy?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero102 View Post
    I got my Mirra 2 yesterday - thanks again for the info about COI selling them used. It's wonderful to finally have a good chair at home!
    What did that run you if you don’t mind me asking?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

@msommers you still working on a group buy?
    The best they'd do is 10% off. I'm still finding it hard to swallow $550 for a used chair....
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    The best they'd do is 10% off. I'm still finding it hard to swallow $550 for a used chair....
    Ahh fair enough. We are on the same page totally then.

For some reason I thought those weren’t used.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Ahh fair enough. We are on the same page totally then.

For some reason I thought those weren’t used.
    What are they new? I don't mind paying a bit more to have some peace of mind it wasn't used as a fart container for the last few years.
    And also maybe the office chair market will increase due to all the WFH people these days...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    What are they new? I don't mind paying a bit more to have some peace of mind it wasn't used as a fart container for the last few years.
    And also maybe the office chair market will increase due to all the WFH people these days...
    1k++

fact.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    If you gurgle a bit and close your eyes, it's easier to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero102 View Post
    No problemo! I wish I got a finder's fee

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Depending on the chair, you're looking at paying 2-3x more than what they're going for used. So some of the higher end chairs are easily over $1000 after all said and done, especially if you decide you want to put in your own customizations like fabric upgrades. The Herman Miller Embody is like $2000.

I ended up picking up a Steelcase Leap V2 from allsold.ca and I'm with it. It's in pretty good shape, minus a few scuffs here and there that I'd probably end up putting there myself eventually. It might even be in better condition than the one at work. It was a little dusty, but not a big deal cause I went over the chair with some Lysol, vinegar solution, laundry detergent solution, and finally something to mask the smell of the cleaning products haha

If anyone's looking to shop at allsold.ca, try and see if you can arrange a pick up at their warehouse. They have limited space, and therefore limited selection, at their storefront and not all the chairs were in the best shape. The lady there said the last couple of weeks have been pretty crazy for them.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    www.allsold.ca appears to have a lot of used inventory.
    Do you have any experience with these guys?

I am getting to the point where I need to shit or get off the pot with this chair thing and I'm honestly not spending over a G on a chair at this point that will go back to never being used once WFH is done with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    Depending on the chair, you're looking at paying 2-3x more than what they're going for used. So some of the higher end chairs are easily over $1000 after all said and done, especially if you decide you want to put in your own customizations like fabric upgrades. The Herman Miller Embody is like $2000.

I ended up picking up a Steelcase Leap V2 from allsold.ca and I'm with it. It's in pretty good shape, minus a few scuffs here and there that I'd probably end up putting there myself eventually. It might even be in better condition than the one at work. It was a little dusty, but not a big deal cause I went over the chair with some Lysol, vinegar solution, laundry detergent solution, and finally something to mask the smell of the cleaning products haha

If anyone's looking to shop at allsold.ca, try and see if you can arrange a pick up at their warehouse. They have limited space, and therefore limited selection, at their storefront and not all the chairs were in the best shape. The lady there said the last couple of weeks have been pretty crazy for them.
    Where is their warehouse? Selection good enough to bother with?

fact.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Where is their warehouse? Selection good enough to bother with?
    Not too sure, you'll have to give them a call and arrange it. When I went to the store, they had like 2 or 3 of each of the chairs I was looking at, but their website lists the number of units they have in stock as much more than that so you're bound to find something. I know they do allow pickups at their warehouse cause when I was testing the chair, the lady answered a call and told the other person they can but there were some caveats. I wasn't really paying attention, but I think you pretty much had to commit to a purchase and you had to pay with etransfer, which I guess makes sense cause they probably don't want to waste time with people dilly dallying at the warehouse and they don't have anything to process payments there; that's what the store is for.

My suggestion: if you're looking at getting a used Herman Miller, go with COI cause they're reconditioned based on flipstah's post. If you're gonna go with a Leap V2, go with allsold.ca cause there's 1400+ on their website so you're bound to find one that's good enough.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    Not too sure, you'll have to give them a call and arrange it. When I went to the store, they had like 2 or 3 of each of the chairs I was looking at, but their website lists the number of units they have in stock as much more than that so you're bound to find something. I know they do allow pickups at their warehouse cause when I was testing the chair, the lady answered a call and told the other person they can but there were some caveats. I wasn't really paying attention, but I think you pretty much had to commit to a purchase and you had to pay with etransfer, which I guess makes sense cause they probably don't want to waste time with people dilly dallying at the warehouse and they don't have anything to process payments there; that's what the store is for.
    Cool, I might just swing over and see their store first before i commit to a chair I've never seen, I'm not really all that picky.

fact.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Embody's aren't that expensive as long as you don't buy from EQ3 anyway.

I went with upgraded fabric and the upgraded casters

This was me picking it up not delivered, you can spend more if you want some crazy baller fabric from Italy but I just went with a fabric that had a higher "double rub" count

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Cool, I might just swing over and see their store first before i commit to a chair I've never seen, I'm not really all that picky.
    Just a heads up, there's no sign for the store. I drove passed it 4 times before I pulled into the parking lot and found it.

The entrance is in front of the grey pickup here:
    https://goo.gl/maps/yawcXLJTsTYb1pJW8

Call them and let them know what you're looking for so they can pull it out for you before you get there. It's a bit of a mess in there.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

So I work as a designer in the office furniture industry. Been doing this for 28 years. (For reference, I used to be the design director at both the Herman Miller dealer and a Haworth dealer - now at Steelcase) Just some of my recommendations:

1) As far as used goes, all the major dealers have a used inventory. They fluctuate depending on if they do a buy back from a major O & G company or net. There are two advantages I see to going this route. a) cleaning - Dealers aren't allowed to sell their used brand name chairs unless they do a deep clean. b) Warranty - You will still get a warranty on the chair if you buy it from the dealer. The usual warranty issue you might run into is the gas cylinder. Used Aeron chairs are prone to this.

2) I know it is hard to do now, but go try out a bunch of chairs. If you are going to spend $600 - $1000 on a chair, you should go sit in one. What may feel comfortable to you, won't necessarily feel comfortable to someone else. This is especially true when it comes to how the lumbar support is handled. Some have passive lumbar support built into the back others have a way of adjusting it. Using the Aeron as an example again, that chair has two different styles of lumbar support. If you are looking used, you will probably find the original lumbar. There is also the "Posture fit" that came out later which supports your back in a lower position. That's the one I prefer. While on the Aeron. It comes in 3 sizes. A, B and C. B is the size most people. If you want to determine what model you are looking at, there is a lip under the top of the back that will have 1,2 or 3 dots. (A,B or C)

3) No matter which chair you buy, get one with a sliding seat pan. This is particularly important if you have long legs. That way when you slide the pan forward the edge of the seat doesn't impact the circulation to your legs.

4) Chair recommendations. All f the majors make good chairs. I would stay away from Global or some of the other brands you find at Staples. Global (a Canadian company) does make a couple good chairs but they put out so many models and most of them are cheap.

Herman Miller chairs
    Aeron - Obviously a classic chair. Most people buy this for the looks alone. It isn't a bad chair but it is 1994 technology. If you are looking purely for ergonomics then this isn't the best choice. I've had a couple of these over time. The nice thing about them is they wear well.

Mirra 2- When I was specifying these chairs before this was one of those chairs that people either loved or hated. I think it is a great chair and a way better value than the Embody. Larger people probably won;t like this chair.

Embody - I'll admit, I'm not a fan of this chair. Its ergonomics are already dated a bit, its expensive. (the most expensive on my list) and back when I was with the Miller dealer they had warranty issues. I'm sure they have fixed the bugs by now but, if you like the way it sits and you have the money.......

Haworth Chairs
    Zody- this is their most popular chair. It has good ergonomics, comfortable back with a highly functional lumbar support. This is the most common chair they specify in large tenders or corporate clients.

Very - kind of like a base model Zody. Still had lots of features but at a better price point.

Fern - this is their newest offering. I really have no experience with this chair but the back design looks interesting. I imagine it might be their highest price point.

Steelcase chairs.

Gesture - This is Steelcase's top of the line chair. It has great ergonomics which includes a unique arm design that hinges at the back of the chair instead of the sides so it can still support you arms properly if you use a tablet or smart phone a lot. Imperial Oil's campus is standardised on these.
    Leap - Very popular. Has all the ergonomic features too. I sit in this one but I'm not a huge fan. Like I keep saying , some chairs people will like, others won't. This chair always feel's too big for me. I like the way the Gesture forms to your body better. That said it is a good chair and there are lots in the market. If you like all black, you can get a value package version that has all the ergonomic features but is plain looking.

Series One - This is a relatively new chair. It was brought out to compete with the mid market chairs so the price point is much better. Under $600. It still has most of the ergonomic features and you can get it in all sorts of weird colours.

Steelcase as a bunch of chairs in the mid market you could also check out at a better price: Think, Amia mesh (Telus Sky standard)

One more chair. This one is sold at multiple dealers. It is an open like. Freedom chair by Humanscale. Humanscale is primarily an ergonomic company. They don't make panel systems or lateral files. The one feature that sets this one apart is the gel filled seat. It feels totally different. If you are looking at this chair, get the one with the headrest.

So my purpose is not to tell you which chair to buy, but which ones you might want to look at. If you have any questions about any of them or need a contact at one of the dealers I can get that for you. Its a small industry so I still talk with people at other dealers.
    Last edited by Lex350; 03-26-2020 at 12:56 PM.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    V167

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bought 2 of these for our home office. Original intended use was for occasional short duration tasks (finishing paperwork etc). I am now sitting in it 8hrs per day. Super comfortable. If it wears out, I'll buy another. Quality is good for price (I'm actually impressed). Compliments from everyone on their appearance. Lumbar support is what I needed, and these hit the spot. Would definitely recommend.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
    Real wheels and knock off office chairs? tisk tisk.. jk.

Not everyone is interested in the Herman Miller Aluminum Group prices..or the price of finding parts when they break down. (More so vintage ones)

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast