Quantcast
Office Chairs - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Office Chairs

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Default Office Chairs

I'm looking to upgrade the home office, and was wondering what everyone is using for a nice office chair? Going to check out a few places tomorrow, but hoping to stay under $1000(so no Aeron, unless someone has the hookup...). Any places to avoid or check out?

My Ride
    ute

just spend the extra and get an embody

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Do you have one? I was looking at that and the Steelcase Gesture as the two "money no object" chairs on the top of my list. Any recommendation on where to shop for that chair?

Last edited by know1edge; 08-16-2018 at 09:47 PM.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by know1edge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can usually find Aerons on kijiji starting at $300
    I can't expense Kijiji purchases! But I'm not a fan of the mesh seat/back on them anyways. My boss has one, and while it's comfortable, it's not for me.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

https://m.staples.ca/en/serta-smartl...0001?sk_test=a

I bought this on sale, dont think I got the "big and tall" one though. Oh man, its like a vacation for my ass. Chair is amazing.

I came to the realization with the slowdown Id be in the office a lot, and compared to the corporate "good posture" bullshit minimalist things, this is like heaven.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    Do you have one? I was looking at that and the Steelcase Gesture as the two "money no object" chairs on the top of my list. Any recommendation on where to shop for that chair?
    Unfortunately you just missed the big Herman Miller annual sale. They might do it twice. Price is essentially controlled, so you can get it anywhere. EQ3 sells them. I love it. I sit in my desk chair for hours, and hours. I have no budget for a chair. But this one has been perfect.

Walk into RGO and test drive a leap or a Gesture. They normally will work on a price with you. I have a leather Leap and love it.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

I work as a designer in the contract furniture industry. I've worked for Haworth, Herman Miller and Steelcase either at the dealer level or the manufacturer level. I was the design director at both COI and HBI. Also did some work for Allsteel and Knoll. In my opinion these are the chair to look at:

Premium Chairs:
    Gesture - Steelcase
    Leap - steelcase
    Aeron (its cool looking but a bit long in the teeth in terms of ergonomic design) Herman Miller
    Zody - Haworth
    Very Desk - Haworth
    Freedom - Humanscale

Mid Level:
    Mirra2 - Herman Miller
    Series One -Steelcase
    Think - Steelcase
    Relate - Allsteel

Some of the things to consider is how long in the day you are sitting in it. Sizing is very important. Some chairs fit the 95th percentile while others come in A, B and C sizes. Always look for a chair that has an adjustable seat pan depth. This is especially important if you have long legs. Having a mesh chair over a fabric one is no benefit like it used to be. Today's fabrics breathe very well and you don;t get hot sitting in the chair. Mesh is more for looks or if it is a supportive mesh it is part of the back lumbar support design. Also consider function. If you are straight up a data entry warrior you need to have arms that support you while typing and ones that don;t pull away from the worksurface when you tilt back. That is usually a sign of a cheaper syncro mechanism.

I have my favorites over others. I've sat in all of them for good periods of time and owned most of them. Above all just go and sit in them. For example I know some people don't like the Mirra but others swear it is the best chair they have sat in. Most of the dealers in town have a used section where you can get a good deal on a chair that is essentially new. Sometimes chairs get ordered with the wrong options or a client doesn't pay their bill and the chairs come back.

Back support designs vary greatly. They all work but in different ways. If you have back problems some will feel better than others so it is best to try them out.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't ever buy anything Herman Miller from EQ3. They are a retail outlet. Go to the contract furniture dealer Contemporary Office interiors and you will always get a better price.

- - - Updated - - -

If you want a name for a person at RGO or COI let me know. Personally I think the Embody is an over priced piece of shit. When I was at COI we never pushed to sell them.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

I went to RGO last week and looked at the Gesture and Leap v2. I love the look of the Gesture more, as well as the arms, but the upright positioning wasn't as comfortable as the Leap. The only downside of the Leap was the arms did not have the same range of movement compared to the Gesture but the seat pan moving was much more natural compared to the Gesture.

The Aeron is also ruled out now, as I tested it out further and it's not comfortable unless you are in the 'perfect' seating position. If you want to tuck a leg underneath you, or sit cross legged, the chair is far from ideal. The Embody was a nice chair but I didn't immediately love it. Especially after finding out it's nearly 2x the money as the Steelcase chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex350 View Post
    Personally I think the Embody is an over priced piece of shit. When I was at COI we never pushed to sell them.
    I redesigned my office a couple years ago and was dead set on a blue embody but when i went to get it i was told the same thing lol

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    The Aeron is also ruled out now, as I tested it out further and it's not comfortable unless you are in the 'perfect' seating position. If you want to tuck a leg underneath you, or sit cross legged, the chair is far from ideal. The Embody was a nice chair but I didn't immediately love it.
    I ended up getting the A Aeron(key and peele joke lol) a few years ago and i totally agree with you about the perfect seating position. When i first got it i thought i fucked up huge because i was used to being able to just sit literally half assed on my old chair but because of the front frame support you cant on the aeron. I was told it was a very good chair and luckily i stuck with it because im very happy with it now, my only other complaint is it looks just like any other chair and no where near as nice as the embody FWP

My Ride
    ute

If you're using the terms "overpriced" and "premium office chair" in the same sentence then you're doing it wrong. But I've had serious seat time in a lot of premium chairs, and I question anyone who would put an Aeron ahead of the Embody. Still, all of those recommendations are solid. The Embody might be more than a person wants to spend...but a piece of shit? Hardly.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Just a quick update, I ended up getting a Leap V2 from RGO after trying out all the major contenders. If you need a contact for RGO, Kirsten was great throughout the whole process.

My Ride
    This and that.

I have no idea about chairs but this thread makes me want to get a new comfy one for my office. Where do I start looking?

Ideally, I'd like something comfortable with in-built massage features if possible. Didn't realize it was possible to get massage features in something that's not a super huge recliner but came across this and thought I wouldn't mind it.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Year-Sal...9a5&rmvSB=true

been working from home a lot more lately, so looking to invest in a better chair. Found this on kijiji, anyone ever deal with this guy? seems like a good deal at $350

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-chair-reclin...irs/1323179760

- - - Updated - - -

also, does anyone know if you can write off an office chair on your personal taxes somehow? I have heard of people writing off their steel toed boots and other work-related items but not sure if something like this would qualify?

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Id be careful with the older Aeron chairs.. prices are ridiculous for parts. Likely the guy bought a ton of used and scavenged the parts.
    (My office has a bunch of them that are breaking down..makes more sense to replace then to repair)

i actually ended up picking one up from this guy last night. His garage is full of brand new parts which he buys in bulk then refurbishes them himself. he's got all the sizes (A, B, C)

It looks pretty much brand new and operates perfectly (was mostly concerned about the hydraulic part), and he said to give him a call any time if something doesn't work. For 1/3 of the cost of brand new it's great value.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Coi quite often has some used Aerons hanging around. At least if you buy through them you get a warranty on it. Aeron's have a tendency for the pneumatic cylinder to fail. Also there are two types of lumbar support for the Aeron. Regular and Posture fit (Posture fit is about a $100 upgrade but it makes the chair feel completely different).
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Whatever chair you decide, make sure you sit in it first and can return it after a week if you find you don't like it. There are a lot of good chairs out there but whereas you may like an Aeron, many people will also do not like the chair because of where the posture fit lumbar hits their back. Same thing with a Herman Miller Mirra chair. I've never seen such a polarising chair. People either love it or hate it.

If anybody is looking for a high quality ergonomic chair, these are typically the models that get evaluated side by side on large tenders.

Herman Miller - Aeron, Mirra (cheper price point) and sometime Embody. (When I was at the Herman Miller dealer we almost never sold these because of the price and warranty issues.)

Haworth - Very Desk and X99 and Zody

Humanscale - This chair is a bit different because the seat is gel filled. It definitely "sits" different from the other chairs on this list. Again, a kind of love it/hate it type of chair. I personally like this chair with the head rest.

Steelcase - The top of the line chair is Gesture. Imperial Oil standardised on this chair at their Calgary campus and now throughout NA. There are some innovative features on this chair but I'm not going to get in to it. The leap chair is still Steelcase's most popular chair. There is a new chair out called the Series One. It has all the ergonomic features of the Think chair but at a price point closer to what Global chairs sell for.

If you are looking for one of these chairs I can probably give you a name of a person to talk to at the prospective dealerships. Remember also that every one of the major dealerships have a used department. It is much better to buy a used chair though them because you get the full warranty. Very handy if the pneumatic cylinder should crap out. Also, in times like now when companies go under, quite often we get their furniture back and then sell it off at a discounted price. One more thing, if you are buying a used Herman Miller chair make sure you know which size it is. HM chairs come in A,B and C size. Most people need a B size chair. For the Aeron you can tell by running your finger on the underside of the top of the chair back frame. There are either 1,2 or 3 nubs there which tell you the size.

My Ride
    95B

I am doing a home office reno and ended up getting a Gesture chair from RGO. Got a very good price. I guess they ordered some for a client in color Bluejay and the client didn't take them so they want to get rid of it
    Last edited by ganesh; 06-06-2018 at 08:03 PM.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast