Quantcast
Nespresso... worth it? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Nespresso... worth it?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Nespresso machines themselves only make coffee. Nothing else. Not even hot water.

However the Aerocino 4 with some hot chcolate mix is a great combo. My in laws were here a few weeks ago and my wife’s sister was drinking 4 hot chocolates a day with the milk foamer since it was so easy and bubbly.

Biggest issue with the original aerocino is it was too small. The 4 is now 4 times the size and you can set it for different sizes etc. Perfect.
    How about this shit?

https://mugpods.com/12-hot-chocolate...sso-compatible

Looks delicious, especially that mint one. I’m willing to pick some up to test, don’t want to blow hundreds of dollars on a machine if this shit tastes like ass.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    How about this shit?

Looks delicious, especially that mint one. I’m willing to pick some up to test, don’t want to blow hundreds of dollars on a machine if this shit tastes like ass.
    Rage... the machine is really a lite espresso machine and the pressure/heat is optimized for that purpose. As to what killramos mentioned, the Aeroccino is the "cats meow" that makes takes the very good espresso and makes it a silky latte/capaccino

That Aeroccino plus/3/4 rocks at making hot chocolate or a steamer or for hot cereals... that said, I saw an exact replica from Salton at Walmart for $50 bucks. So I reckon if you just want something to make you an instant cup of tasty hot coco, give it a try!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

How about this shit?

Those are for the original line, and are unsupported third party. Nespresso doesn't make any themselves.

Orginaline is limited to espresso shots so I am not sure what those will make exactly... Hot chocolate shots?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    FB6

How about this shit?

If you're looking for hot chocolate, Nescafe has another machine that's not as popular but has hot chocolate.

https://www.dolce-gusto.ca/

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

rage2, why don't you just get a good milk frother? It makes amazing hot chocolates.

I only got the Aerocino 3, but I love how quick and easy it heats up milk (like 10-15 seconds?). Remove the spring if you want it less frothy, either way as mentioned by others, it makes amazing hot chocolate even with the powdered version.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I've tried the Nespresso demo coffee when it's at Costco and it tastes awful.
    Ultracrepidarian

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    To each their own, but I've literally never heard anyone else say this.

I would never say awful, but I've had samples at Home Outfitters and the Bay downtown where I wasn't sold...

Then I went to my Brother's place and all night I drank a range of his Intenso coffees including the Arpiggio decaf and I was won over.

So first off, there are 2 lines... Vertuo - One made for North America, where people prefer coffee and coffee sized servings, and the Original Line for the rest of the world that prefers Espresso based drinks.

I have to say though that I'm not nearly as impressed with the Espresso from the Vertuo line, and their coffee though decent... to me isn't anything substantially better than what Tassimo has to offer.

Espresso is what makes Americanos and Lattes taste so damned good and the Original line really does a great job of making single shots of high quality Espressos or Lungos (a long pull Espresso) to mix with hot water, steamed milk or chocolate milk, or better yet Liquor. My father owned a couple cafe's in the day and I can tell you from working there that though you get good at tamping and pulling nice shots of espresso, this is every bit as good if not better because its consistent every time.

I bought a discovery 250 set, and also from sampling at the boutique, I have to say that almost all of their offerings are good, but there are the odd one or two that are too acidic or roasted (almost cigarette tasting) for me.

The wife has a great palate that I can agree with, and for her the espresso/pure origin line: the Rosabaya and the Dulsao are boss. Great tasting espresso shots that mix well as American, Lattes or Cappuccinos that you can drink all day long. Dulsao is pleasant like McDonald's McCafe, and the Rosa has a bit more acidity for a similar yet more entertaining experience.

don't get me wrong, the Livanto and Cost are also very good, just not quite as good when doing a A/B double blind taste test lol

Of the intenso line, I thought the popular Arpeggio was amazing, and yes its good.. until you one up it with the Dharkan. The Dharkan is like the best tasting dark roast espresso I've ever had and to me, the best out of the Intenso line, though the Roma and Kazaar are also good.

Of the Lungos, I've tried the Vivalto, Fortissio and Linizio and all are "good" but surprisingly, you'd think the extra 2 gram and larger portion would be a nicer "coffee like" drink, but quite honestly both were less impressive than when compared to say the Dharkan or Rosabaya for just drinkability. Different strokes right?
    Yes a Lungo is 110ml shot and if you add another lingo shot of water, you basically have a small 8z cup of Americano... but I've had a COSI Americano right next to it (diluted with more water) taste better.

Of the flavours, we stuck with the Caramelito because it just makes a really fun drink and is versatile. Add caramel syrup and pour over the foam and instant caramel macchiato. Its a nice coffee to boot.

Of the Espressos I don't like was surprisingly the Volluto... first off, its supposed to be one of the most popular, next to Cosi, and supposed to be light, low acidity and fruity.
    Well my 10 pack wasn't like this at all. It tastes like Starbucks espresso... sour and charred like a cigarette. It also was darker in colour in a Latte when compared to a similarly mixed Fortissio Lungo I had next to it.
    I dunno if this was "off" but it was gross... and if I had tried this as my first experience I would have been turned off.

Funny though... rather than wasting them, I had some chocolate milk sitting around... tossed in a bit more powder in the steamer and the Volluto makes an excellent cup of Mocca Lattes.

The Ristretto also was unimpressive again giving me notes that didn't work as an espresso or as a mixed beverage.
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 01-03-2018 at 07:52 PM.

If I were to answer my first post... its not gimmicky and its not a bad value.

With all pod coffees you can't measure cost per pound, but also there is a considerable wastage factor when brewing a traditional pot of coffee.

When comparing to tassimo, keurig ete typically you are always compromising on a cup of coffee with those makers. In this case you are not.

The nespresso makes consistent espresso every time and its Aeroccino does a great job of making hot milk in foam. Believe me, my dad owned 3 different cafe's (timothys and second cups) and this machine was superior to my ability to tamp and pull a shot and to use the steamer to froth milk on a 17K machine.

Also, Nestle is a HUGE brand and this is their prestige line... all the product from the Machines, from their accessories and how their capsules are packaged/sealed etc... is Quality
    It is no surprise that the coffees they source and roast is premier.

I've not had a better range of coffees, and this is coming from someone who's drank lots of coffee from varying origins and roasters.

The pricing of the capsules are similar to retail Keurigs, with the exception of the compatible plastic pods...
    The machine is also similarly priced to a Keurig (with discounts)

But the Espresso is just about the best I've ever had.

I can quite literally pour milk into the steamer, hit the button and then load the capsule into the Nespresso and in about 45 seconds be drinking a premium latte... so the convenience is also there.

Now, there are lots of compatible options with the Original line... even I believe Presidents Choice has their own. BUT most are made of plastic and as such may not work well (piercing the cup or falling through) and when say 1 or 2 out of 10 fail... you're not really "saving" money.

The second part is this... after trying many-of Nespresso variations, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything quite as good, so why compromise?

The boutique is nice to be able to get recommendations, as well as to just taste the varieties. I mean heck if I'm shopping at Chinook or Market Mall, why the hell would I ever go to a Starbucks, when I can pop by for a double Dharkan Latte for free

For now my favorites are:

Dharkan
    Rosabaya
    Dulsao
    Carmelito

Also like, but just a bit less:

Vivalto Lungo (larger)
    Cosi
    Arpeggio

40% off select Nespresso machines online and in the boutiques, while quantities last.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    FB6

I have the Delonghi branded Lattisma+ which has the built in milk frother and it's great. I use it every morning and it's better than Starbucks. I like the darker roasts and my go to is the Arpeggio. I usually stop by the stores when they have a seasonal coffee to try it out and restock.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

r3ccOs quality post. Agreed with everything you said.

HOWEVER when I lived with my friend who had a $4,000 prosumer espresso machine (a Rocket, for anyone wondering) we got REALLY good at making killer lattes on that thing. For "I want a great tasting latte in the next 90seconds" the Nespresso systems are very hard to beat.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Thanks r3ccOs, I appreciate the thorough response. Adam I like your take on the device, quick and easy and pretty good for the time/effort put in. Given the feedback here, maybe something was amiss at Costco (and The Bay come to think of it). Each time, the espressos taste burnt, bitter and way over-extracted -- like tea that's steeped for way too long.

I really like espresso but I think I'm pretty particular. P&S, Analog and Monogram all make consistently good espressos (Analog less-so, relatively). Ben (?) at Monogram had his competition espresso and latte available since he had extra beans and it was like Unicorn tears.

I know this will rub some people the wrong way and is only meant to be encouraging to explore better cafes but if Starbucks, Second Cup et al. are used as a reference point, anything is going to taste incredibly better.

Properly calibrating an espresso machine is a skill itself and also uses beans, which means time and money. Any quality cafe will calibrate their machine at least once a day if not more depending on use. P&S is really good at training their staff and view it like a science, which it really is if you want to be consistent.

The various models that Nespresso has on their website is dizzying. I get that some have milk frothers but everything else is really confusing.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

No doubt you could have just gotten a capsule flavour that you didn't like the taste of. Right now on my counter I have:

- Single origin hipster beans from Pilot (Toronto), Dispatch (montreal), and some P&S
    - conical burr grinder
    - breville manual espresso maker
    - a bodum
    - a nespresso Pixie with milk frother
    - a couple dozen Original Line pods

Weekends when I have time I'll make (and drink) an XL bodum of whatever new bean I have, or pull some shots from the breville. Most other days I froth some milk, pop two nespresso pods in one after another, dump my milk and foam in a reusable to-go cup, and I'm out the door.

I'm not a coffee *snob* but I was interested in the art of it to the point where we were debating tamping pressure & how much coffee to use weighed to the gram. I don't have time for it anymore and the nespresso scratches the itch well enough to save me $5 every morning. I still frequent Toronto's MANY amazing coffee shops whenever I can though.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

My advice if you want to try it out: Go on Kijiji, find a brand new Pixie and frother for less than $200 (people are dumping unwanted xmas gifts like crazy right now), and try a few flavours out. If none of them are to your taste sell the machine and you're out $50-60 nbd.
    Last edited by adamc; 01-05-2018 at 05:01 PM.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

I mean if money were no object I would have a Jura GIGA 5, but those are $LOL

Name:  618mBlzQh0L._SY450_.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  27.8 KB

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

I'm looking for a machine for my mom. She just wants plain coffee, no frothing etc. Prob limit of 2cups / day between parents.

Original line? Make espressos then add hot water essentially for a coffee.

Which of the original lines is good for ease of use without too much maintenance (adding water, emptying empty cups every two days)

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

I would go with the "Expert", it's exceptionally simple, one dial for cup size, one for temperature:

Name:  img5c.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  36.5 KB

OR, a even simpler, a Pixie. They would just have to like Americanos to enjoy either machine.
    You run a pod through, then do another cycle without a pod on the Lungo setting for hot water.

Or if they aren't super particular about how their coffee tastes, a Keurig.
    Last edited by adamc; 01-06-2018 at 12:17 AM.

The Cuisinart Keurig SS-10 does meet the Golden Cup standard. There's only like six coffee makers in the world that meet the standard, so everything else sucks.

Thanks r3ccOs, I appreciate the thorough response. Adam I like your take on the device, quick and easy and pretty good for the time/effort put in. Given the feedback here, maybe something was amiss at Costco (and The Bay come to think of it). Each time, the espressos taste burnt, bitter and way over-extracted -- like tea that's steeped for way too long.

I really like espresso but I think I'm pretty particular. P&S, Analog and Monogram all make consistently good espressos (Analog less-so, relatively). Ben (?) at Monogram had his competition espresso and latte available since he had extra beans and it was like Unicorn tears.

I know this will rub some people the wrong way and is only meant to be encouraging to explore better cafes but if Starbucks, Second Cup et al. are used as a reference point, anything is going to taste incredibly better.

Properly calibrating an espresso machine is a skill itself and also uses beans, which means time and money. Any quality cafe will calibrate their machine at least once a day if not more depending on use. P&S is really good at training their staff and view it like a science, which it really is if you want to be consistent.

The various models that Nespresso has on their website is dizzying. I get that some have milk frothers but everything else is really confusing.
    don't worry about it... but Charbucks latte for sure is not for the aficionado, the same way a Monte Cristo #4 isn't for a Cigar aficionado... its just palate pleasing

When my dad owned a Second Cup, I tried alot of varieties but did find that when we purchased from our local roaster Melroast, the quality was very good and consistent... almost boutique brand quality.

Also when we owned Timothys, there was tons of marketing collateral about how they ethically sourced their beans, how each batch was specifically roasted and how they use an industrialized process to ensure consistency... it wasn't until they were bought by and I had to chance to visit the Green Mountain Coffee roasters till I was satisfied beyond of its taste, that they genuinely can ensure a consistent product.

We calibrated our La Pavoni machine often, but man it was a pain even ensuring that the insta read thermometers were accurate first to perform the calibration let alone to trust for steaming milk.

Then the tamping... it literially takes 3+ months on the machine to become somewhat consistent with being able to get the right short or long pulls... with millennials, the turnaround was like a revolving door and often would result in again inconsistent drinks.

that said, very different than P&S, Analog, caffe artigiano... which I frequent for both espressos and drip, the experience certainly varies and sometimes I'm turned off by the product. Once Americano I had from Artigiano tasted like there was a 1/3rd cup soy in it (essence of soy sauce). Not sure if it was the beans, the grind, the calibration or the barista's inability to tamp to the right pressure.

I certainly don't have the most sophisticated palliate but I do know from my own experience that Nespresso's 25+ varieties certainly can appeal at a universal level and the consistency/convenience is probably the best part.

Back to the nespresso
    If you like easy drinking Darkroasts we found the Roma and the Arpeggio capsules very pleasant... I'd say the definition of a "good" universal espresso

However I am still thinking the Dharkan is #1

I really suggest to go to one of the boutiques and get them to make you a double shot of Dharkan as a cappuccino and report back
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 01-07-2018 at 08:07 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast