Quantcast
Best internet provider around Cranston community area? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Best internet provider around Cranston community area?

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Maxima Platinum

Default Best internet provider around Cranston community area?

Hey all. Does anyone here live in or around Cranston in Calgary? I was just wondering about your opinions on either Shaw or Telus for internet? I currently have Telus and it seems to be awful, and since my contract is up I was thinking of switching to Shaw. Any thoughts?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Buddy of mine in riverstone says both Shaw and Telus have fiber to the local hubs there and then copper to the houses. He's on Shaw 150 and no speed complaints.

All I do is watch cat videos so I dint worry about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Maxima Platinum

Maybe trying Shaw would be a good idea than.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Surprised Cranston is not fiber to the home. What is awful about Telus, slow or unreliable? I'm been on Telus for over 9 years now in Evergreen, first couple on ADSL and the last 6-7 years on Fiber. Had a few initial issues with ADSL as the copper pair their used was partially damaged and would drop out, which was fixed by using another pair in the set and was solid after that. Since I went fiber, it has been rock solid, I don't think I had a single internet outage in the last 6-7 years. Fiber is the way to go if you can. My home had a combo cable, where telephone and fiber were in the same bigger cable coming into the home. Should inquire with Telus to see if they do have fiber to your home. I am on 150/150mbps service, so I get 150 up and down, which is fantastic if you upload pictures/videos and stuff online or use cloud backup for things.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I'd have someone come out and check your connections. Telus 150 has been awesome for me and my only complaint is my devices sometimes connect to the 2.4 GHz modem instead of the 5 GHz but that has nothing to do with the internet itself. I chose Telus because I also have cable and I think Shaw's interface for a channel guide is terrible. With either provider its super easy to get either one to match the other company's offers so its really 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Buddy of mine in riverstone says both Shaw and Telus have fiber to the local hubs there and then copper to the houses. He's on Shaw 150 and no speed complaints.

All I do is watch cat videos so I dint worry about it.
    I don't know about that, Riverstone was built after Cranston and the houses are considerably fancier down there so it doesn't make sense that if they run fiber to every house up on the hill in older builds that they wouldn't also run it to all the houses down in Riverstone. It seems like a waste to run fiber to a hub then go out from there when most homes are close to that million dollar range if not more. I live in Cranston and have fiber right to my house and I just live in a starter home (not one of the bigger fancy $800,000 + houses on the ridge). All of my neighbors and friends in the community (newer side, south of Sobeys) all have fiber right to their house as well regardless if they are in starter homes, town houses, or bigger move up homes.
    Last edited by schurchill39; 01-03-2018 at 08:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.