Quantcast
Two yellow spots on the kitchen ceiling - water damage - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Two yellow spots on the kitchen ceiling - water damage

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Default Two yellow spots on the kitchen ceiling - water damage

So i have two little kids who tend to splash water out of the bath and I never really thought much of it because there is tile there. however I guess the previous owner replaced all their moulding themselves and may not of sealed the bathroom stuff properly because now I have two yellow spots near my kitchen pot lights that would correlate to water getting between the moulding and the wall and then dripping onto the drywall above the kitchen (popcorn ceiling)

Anyone ever come across this before.

My steps to isolate it are:

turn off kitchen power
    remove light
    remove pot light (recessed part) and then check for wetness (the ceiling was dry) and then I guess I would need to re popcorn the ceiling in the kitchen to fix the color if there are no issues in the ceiling. Also silicone seal around the moulding upstairs

So I put my nest cam up there and everything is dry so that’s good I also put two paper towels over the old wet spots to test if the water still comes after fixing the silicone. I found that instead of using silicone around the toilet they have used tile grout and there’s a hole right above the spot where the water damage is. There is also a gap in the subfloor above the other spot and between the tile and bath the silicone has a gap.

After ascertaining that I have fixed the issue how do I fix the ceiling?
    Last edited by nzwasp; 12-31-2017 at 02:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    '91 MR2 Turbo + '13 Tacoma

Bleach in spray bottle. Lightly spray it a few times a day over a free days. When the bleach dries the yellow stain will be gone. Be careful not to soak it. Less is more but over a longer period of time.

Get a good quality bottle or dont leave the bleach in the bottle too long or it will eat through it.

Forgot to add 50/50 mix with water. Thanks Cosworth.
    Last edited by TRD_YOTA; 12-31-2017 at 02:55 PM.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

http://www.kilz.com/primer/kilz-original

otherwise it will almost for sure come back. It is easy to over-do it with the bleach and water.
    Cos...

My Ride
    ute

It's difficult to tell where the leak actually happened. Water can travel quite far before announcing itself on the lower floor.

My Ride
    Skateboard

Just how much water are they splashing out? It would have to be a lot for it to leak down, pool and soak through the drywall.

Is it even possible to get a bathroom floor water tight?

I also heard it is not good practice to silicon around a toilet?

My Ride
    changes every year

Not sure about your situation but my house since the cold weather hit, is just a disaster. The hot water stopped working, the windows froze so much that they started leaking and fucked up my trim and my bathroom fan was leaking water too and it left a yellow water stain there.

Fuck sakes.

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    So i have two little kids who tend to splash water out of the bath and I never really thought much of it because there is tile there. however I guess the previous owner replaced all their moulding themselves and may not of sealed the bathroom stuff properly because now I have two yellow spots near my kitchen pot lights that would correlate to water getting between the moulding and the wall and then dripping onto the drywall above the kitchen (popcorn ceiling)

Anyone ever come across this before.

My steps to isolate it are:

turn off kitchen power
    remove light
    remove pot light (recessed part) and then check for wetness (the ceiling was dry) and then I guess I would need to re popcorn the ceiling in the kitchen to fix the color if there are no issues in the ceiling. Also silicone seal around the moulding upstairs

So I put my nest cam up there and everything is dry so that’s good I also put two paper towels over the old wet spots to test if the water still comes after fixing the silicone. I found that instead of using silicone around the toilet they have used tile grout and there’s a hole right above the spot where the water damage is. There is also a gap in the subfloor above the other spot and between the tile and bath the silicone has a gap.

After ascertaining that I have fixed the issue how do I fix the ceiling?
    Depending of type of ceiling you have, first thing I would suggest is to bruch affected area with bleach. It will first of all, kill any fungus and also will reduce discoloration. In my case, there was no need to re-paint. Good luck.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    Not sure about your situation but my house since the cold weather hit, is just a disaster. The hot water stopped working, the windows froze so much that they started leaking and fucked up my trim and my bathroom fan was leaking water too and it left a yellow water stain there.

Fuck sakes.
    Let me guess, a spec home built during the boom?

Screw the bleach. If the ceiling is relatively new and not yellowed from age, go into any Cloverdale location and ask for a spray can of px primer. That stuff is dead flat and blends into most ceilings. Couple of coats a few minutes apart and the spot is gone. Stuff stinks though so you may want to open a window or 2.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Let me guess, a spec home built during the boom?
    Nope. Built last year. Not a spec home.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Waldi View Post
    Depending of type of ceiling you have, first thing I would suggest is to bruch affected area with bleach. It will first of all, kill any fungus and also will reduce discoloration. In my case, there was no need to re-paint. Good luck.
    Brush with bleach inside the ceiling?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by superflychief View Post
    Screw the bleach. If the ceiling is relatively new and not yellowed from age, go into any Cloverdale location and ask for a spray can of px primer. That stuff is dead flat and blends into most ceilings. Couple of coats a few minutes apart and the spot is gone. Stuff stinks though so you may want to open a window or 2.
    Thanks for the tip