Quantcast
Manual AWD Engagement Question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Manual AWD Engagement Question

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Default Manual AWD Engagement Question

I have a 2002 Honda CRV, Manual Transmission.

Its FWD. When I go into second gear and I am above 3,000 RPM it goes into AWD...the rear wheels kick in. I know this as I can hear the rear wheels kicking into the snow and I can feel the SUV handle differently. It launches forward harder like im going into hyper space. I can also hear the roar from the rear tires.

I believe its designed like this as there is not enough torque to send to the rear wheels unless the engine is above 3,500 RPM ish.
    I can manipulate this in a good way when needing more grip. For example, if I am turning and I can feel the rear swinging out under ice. I drop the clutch, pulled the RPM's above 3,000 and engaged the clutch rear tires kick in, SUV stabilises. It a hell of a lot more control when roads are bad and a lot more fun.

Im not sure if it stays in AWD in 3rd gear. I think it does but cuts off after a certain speed.

In 1st gear it does not go into AWD in high revs. For example when taking off from the lights on ice. On several occasions I recall the front tires spinning above 4,000 rpm, then when going into 2nd gear AWD engages.

So last week I parked just off 14st and there was a lot of snow. The numpty behind me parked right up my ass. Luckily I had left some space in front. As I tried to pull out the front tires kept on spinning. So I went slower and then high revs into 2nd gear to engage the AWD. The AWD did not engage.
    Luckily I got pushed out by three Samaritans.

So my question is, how does the AWD on a manual work and why did it not engage when I was stuck?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Some reading for you https://www.honda.co.nz/technology/engine/4wd/

This should be applicable to the AWD system in your model year.

So basically, its speed differential between the front and rear that engages the awd, and it takes time to kick in as it is a mechanical system. Understand as well, with differentials at the front and rear, if ONE tire in the front and ONE tire in the rear spin, you might as well have 2wd regardless of anything else. You don't have a fulltime awd system, and there are limitations with what you do have.

The Honda AWD system in the CRV is fairly unique. There are multiple other methods for awd. And if you look at newer 2014+ CRV's, apparently their AWD systems don't work AT ALL And I know you are brown, but damn dude, getting an awd vehicle stuck in downtown Calgary takes some serious skills :p