Quantcast
Depression - how to kick it? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Depression - how to kick it?

Hey AndyL,

These are some things that really helped me when i was down and were part of modules of like self esteem building etc. They start in order of ease i guess was the way i saw it.

#1. Create a list of positive qualities that you like about yourself
    - You don't have to leave the comfort of your house or bed or wherever you are comfortable. You just start identifying things that you really like about yourself or appreciate about yourself.
    For example: few of mine is... communication, growth mindset, loyal

#2. Create a positive qualities journal
    - You don't have to be active or social or anything. At this point you are just going about what you can day to day. And trying to actively recognize when you've done something in a situation or an interaction or something that you were able to use your positive quality. It made those moments in the day stick out because i was being true to something that i liked about myself.
    - To start try and use your positive qualities in 3 scenarios in the day
    For example: let's say for today... I read a couple chapters in a book (growth mindset), I worked out with a buddy at goodlife (loyal), I had a conversation with someone at work that was more personal then just work (communication).

#3. Create a gratitude journal
    - Every day at the end of the day or in the morning (i did it in the morning as i needed it to get me out of bed) pick out something or things you are grateful for happening
    - Pick out something bad that happened and forgive yourself and ask what could have you done differently if you could replay it and then let it go
    - This next one was huge for me and was the only thing that really got me out of bed/house some days and that is ask yourself what you are grateful for tomorrow?
    For example:
    Today (Grateful of what I got Today)
    - Called my mom
    - Work went by really quickly
    - Going to the Gym
    What went bad today... how could you have done it differently
    - Swore in a meeting... probably shouldn't swear as much
    Grateful of what you'll get tmr
    - Ping pong (work has ping pong tables really one of the big reasons to show up)
    - The chance to read more
    - Feel like getting Po-ke.

I had to do #1 #2 #3 repetitively for a solid 2 months before i started feeling more social or having the energy to leave the house as ppl would just say "be active", "get out of the house". Once you start feeling more positive you'll naturally want to be more out and about. Then the last module or step is to build an activity journal.

#4. Build an activity journal
    - Every day if you are doing the above the next step is to add what activities you did for the day.
    - For each activity, this is the cool thing is to rank it from a 0-10 for both Achievement you get and Pleasure you get.
    - The goal here is to identify your activities pleasure and achievement and then try and surround yourself with the 10,10 and cut out one's you don't. Or at least identify and make you think of trying other things. Idea here is time is limited you should be doing the most fun and most achieving things you can obviously within reason financially and timewise.
    - Big one here is ppl say TV blah this blah that... but hey if you get a Pleasure 10 and an achievement 1... by all means it's a 10 in one thing right?
    For example:
    - Playing guitar is a pleasure 8, achievement 5 (can only memorize like so many songs and takes forever to get one down with vocals and get it slick)
    - Gym is a pleasure 2, achievement 9 (i hate going to the gym... but after i'm done like serious best feeling ever).
    - Snowboarding is a pleasure 10, achievement 10 (i've always known this so surround myself with as much of this as possible when i can't get out, whether watching vids, reading up on stuff, etc).

Hope that helps... like i said #1, #2, #3 really took me a couple months and then #4 was a month and then i stopped doing the journals because I found i didn't need to.
    Last edited by cmodem; 01-09-2018 at 03:17 AM.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are dealing with stuff that I have zero experience with, so I can’t comment on much

But it sounds like stress is getting the better of you (violent outbursts, etc)

Stress is something I do understand, and for me I can’t really put a finger on the turning point... but what I can say is “not giving a fuck” is a powerful tool. If something is out of your control, then don’t try and control it, you can’t make others do things they don’t want to do. Nor control the actions they make, if it is something in your control then just do it, if not... fuck worrying, let someone else worry about their issues. I rarely get upset about anything anymore, just let people steer their own ships into the ground and focus on #1
    Solid advice right here. That's a big one for me. Look at some of the stupid debates I've gotten into on beyond and real life lol. Let people steer their own ships into the ground and focus on # 1 (within reason.)
    When you're someone that gives a fuck about everything, it is mentally and physically exhausting. Not my circus, not my monkeys. I don't hire them I just fire them are quotes to keep in mind.

I've read that a lot of successful people suffer from severe depression. What you can do about that is keep yourself busy. Boredom leads to depression for me and others in my family. So pick up the guitar and start
    playing again, buy a 20 year old V8 GM to tinker with, checkout a new park in Calgary every weekend, reconnect with old friends who know you through good and bad times. Call your mom. That's what does the trick for me.
    Last edited by Hallowed_point; 01-09-2018 at 09:15 AM.

My Ride
    dumpster trains

First off I don't want to say I know how you feel, or I know what you are going through, because I don't. BUT I empathize with you!

I can say this, everything ebbs and flows, everyone has different ways of processing and overcoming their challenges. Like everything else, this too shall pass.
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

Not sure if it is something worth considering or if it would even be feasible for your current situation, but... drugs...more specifically magic mushrooms/LSD. (I've never tried either but have been reading about experiences both good AND bad and recent articles like the ones below)

http://www.businessinsider.com/when-...ression-2017-1
    https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article...pressed-people

My Ride
    4x4

Yeah I'll pass. No doubt the apprentices mom would demand drug tests.

I'm seriously wondering if I'm nucking futz.

I seriously just got a "we're sorry your feelings are hurt" email from CFS team leader? Like WTF!

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by bleu View Post
    Huge thank you for your bravery in posting this. I can bet there are people reading your thread who are being helped by and through your courage in coming forward.

I have always found keeping a journal to help me through tough times in my life. I still read through my entries from time to time and realize that despite every setback, heart ache, loss, change of direction in my life, there is always a light at the end of every tunnel.

Good luck to you. ��
    Good advice except instead of the journal I count how lucky I am to not be dead lol

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by v2kai View Post
    Not sure if it is something worth considering or if it would even be feasible for your current situation, but... drugs...more specifically magic mushrooms/LSD. (I've never tried either but have been reading about experiences both good AND bad and recent articles like the ones below)

http://www.businessinsider.com/when-...ression-2017-1
    https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article...pressed-people
    Maybe Mushrooms I can see being beneficial in small doses but not LSD. I've done both and LSD can be exhausting physically. I would take a hit on a Friday night and not sleep until Sunday morning. It throws your body off schedule and I can't imagine prolonged use being good for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I don't have your depth of experience with this but I found one thing that helps a tiny bit is to pick something you CAN control every day and take charge of that. Something small. Then make sure that no matter how bad your day is you can take care of that one small thing and say to yourself that yes, you achieved a goal today.

The world needs you buddy. It's not easy, it's not fair, and I don't know the way out, but please don't give up on yourself.

If you want to chat over a coffee or beer or go for a walk or something, I'm game.
    I briefly read over some of the stuff in this thread, it’s all really good.

From my personal experience in the past though, ExtraSlow’s advice was for me the best starting point.

People give you these long lists with really excellent suggestions but if you’re really down it’s stressful in itself just to read the list and think about all the steps you should take to get to happiness.

In my experience daily life becomes a mountain. You spend all day trying to keep it together let along apply a bunch of modifications to improve your state of mind.

Start stupid simple. Like 10 minutes a day where you focus on just yourself - coffee break, meditation, whatever. Or setting a goal you won’t bitch about life for an hour at work. Not that you bottle it up but that you focus on positive things. Just anything stupid simple, pick something and try to see I through for a day, 2 days, a week. Then build on it.

Sorry Not a quick fix or exhaustive list. But starting as simple as possible was a big one for me

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Look into applied breathing techniques such as the Wim Hof method and, meditation too. Daily gratitudes ala Alcoholics Anonymous can't hurt either.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

I read somewhere that depression can be cured in 14 days
    and that is by helping 14 people in any way you can for 14 days
    1 person a day

But, I just read about this and there is no hard evidence on this

My Ride
    4x4

Holy shit! I swear I'm going to loose it.

So MEP called Thursday, they've suspended my driver's license. Lawyer called me in as suicidal because I got seriously pissed she hadn't dealt with this in the weekly demand she deal with this emails since September. When the 90 day stay of enforcement was granted, but never put to paper and wasn't clear enough on the order received dec 6th. (Yes I have custody of the apprentice, I'm not loco parentis of her daughter - but she sicked MEP on me a year ago, and yes they've stolen 7g from my son in the past year)

I spent 4½ hours on hold Friday trying to resolve this (still driving for a living, kinda need license). I'm nearly at 2 hours already today and the phone system keeps dropping me... Press one to continue to hold... Dead air, call disconnects. Thanks MEP.

On the bright side these EMDR & bilateral stimulation videos my therapist recommended are helping a bit.

But I swear to god I'm going to go postal on the government soon...

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Dude! That's brutal! Sorry to hear that Andy, I can see how frustrating that would be for you.

Don't forget to breathe. The box method might help -- 4 seconds in, hold for 4 seconds, 4 seconds out, hold for 4 seconds. Close your eyes while you're doing it.

Happy to hear the new therapist has found something that is working, even if it's just a bit that is something positive
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    4x4

Hahahahahaha

The collections officer "misspoke" is what they told me today. I don't know how one can misspoke and tell a commercial driver that his license is gone by accident. Since court orders haven't come to fix this yet. Let work know...

Well back to the job hunt.

Fml!

I swear the government is out to get me.

My Ride
    4x4

Life still sucks.

Cody the wundermutt went on a rapid downhill slide. And crossed the rainbow bridge. Ex wife made that so much worse, by "not lying to him (5yr old) about it". Of course he can't comprehend these things.

Finally got MEP sorted - thanks to a court order that only took 8 weeks, including a week on a clerks desk who was away, then another week for MEP to process the order....

But I found a reason to get out of bed this weekend.
    Name:  20180228_091846-01.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  31.4 KB

The apprentice is so much happier as am I.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Ok, sorry gonna be a downer thread.

Some of you know my last 15 months have been a major struggle. 9 days is the longest we had managed without a major crisis. (And I don't exaggerate that, minorest being hospitalizations, new diagnosis, deaths, job losses, eviction, having to beg/borrow/etc rent). Last 2 years really, but it's been the last 15 months that really got crazy.

Been hospitalized 3x for a major depressive episode in the last month. Problems are compounding further and further - every time I think I've made progress - something comes along and boots me in the head - sets me back farther. Had court today, got 500$ in tickets for unregistered vehicle / improper use of plate / incorrect address on lic/reg - on my way - because I still dont have paperwork for the September court order for the 90 day stay of enforcement, or the ex saying not loco parentis for her daughter... So I shouldn't be paying a dime, but - still registry privledges suspended until the court order comes, doesn't matter to MEP that they've seen the transcripts - they work on orders. Judge is away on holidays, case management so only that judge can deal with things.

Been working on CBT - trying these radical acceptance techniques... But how the fuck are you supposed to keep positive when the world keeps kicking you farther down?

Spent the afternoon in the woods home Eastside emergency counselling clinic. Because my tempers getting farther and farther out of control. 2 hours and they suggested I "start thinking about ways to look better to the courts and your partner" - how the fuck does that help me keep my emotions and anger under control??? I don't even get what the hell the point was of going there for that kind of useless help.

Anyone have some ideas that work? I'm pretty much at the breaking point, the pros are useless. Go back to the hospital and I'm back under CFS investigations because it's wrong to get help in our system. I'm on enough meds to kill a horse lately - and I don't think they're doing fuck all (225mg effexor, 10mg buspirone, Seroquel and a blood pressure medication at night for ptsd like nightmares).
    sorry about your issues. I know what its like, completely turned my life around a few years ago.

Can I ask are you low one nergy a lot of the time over weight and out of shape? for years i tried the granola positive thinking crap, and its crap. if you are depressed its a mental manifestation of your physical condition.

what change my life was lsoing about 20 pounds and going to the gym at 6am every day to look at girls. I work at 730, so a little exercise has been amazing. I also take 30,000 iu d3 a day on reccomednation of my cancer doctor (long story, it's fine), but everyone shoudl take minimum 10,000 according to him . iherb has the big dose good price. Also take st johns wart. this is a legitimate anti depressent used all over the world, perscribed in europe for it. then there is caffeine. My depression starts to kick in if i ahve eaten poorly and get low on energy. stay away from the quick metabolizing meals. caffeins helps. without a perscirption, uppers are very illegal, but i did try my friends add medication, and holy shit loved it, but my doctor would not give it to me for depression even though it is related to my mood and energy levels. I am doing 1000x better with the exercise and supplements, and eating less shit.

Here's the kicker, being motivated enough to eat right and go to the gym is opposite of what you want when you are depressed. viscious circle. but you have to fight through drink your coffee force yourself to go. a month straight will be enough to make a drstic difference.

good luck.
    Last edited by Gestalt; 02-28-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Life still sucks.
    That's a given, but give more money to...

The so called therapists, delusional, hypocrites, that in one way or another, cry or masturbate themselves to sleep.

Your depression is the acknowledgment of the gulf between the injustice you're experiencing now, and the Utopia you perceive.

Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Seth1968 View Post
    That's a given, but give more money to...

The so called therapists, delusional, hypocrites, that in one way or another, cry or masturbate themselves to sleep.

Your depression is the acknowledgment of the gulf between the injustice you're experiencing now, and the Utopia you perceive.

Correct?
    no, it's a chemcial imbalance in a sick body. You know who should be depressed? A syrian dad that has picked up body pieces of his wife and child.

Not first world problems canadains, yet we have more depression. It's sedentary lifestyle, poor nutrition. we donlt know what stress is compared to many societeis with less depression.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by Seth1968 View Post
    Spoken like a person who has zero idea what mental illness is all about. It did all sound quite eloquent though.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Depending on how much you want to get your life back on track, maybe try an in patient treatment program. The ones in Canada suck but there are many options in the states (although they can cost ALOT of $). They should provide a lot of information on how mental illness can develop and will help you get the tools needed to get through it and get your life on track. Best of luck to you, and always remember that you deserve to be happy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast