Quantcast
Your go-to hardware store - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your go-to hardware store

Default Your go-to hardware store

So I'm wondering what would be everyone's go-to hardware store - I'm talking Home Depot, Lowes, Reno Depot and Rona as they are the four major chains in Calgary, I've listed Rona as separate from Lowes because there is still quite a difference between the two even though Lowes bought Rona.

Rona on Edmonton Trail is the closest hardware store to my home but I've just about given up on Rona as their selection is abysmal at best and often they just don't have stock. Tried to get both a 3 foot and 4 foot ruler at the Signal Hill Rona this morning, yeah that was pointless.

Thus I find myself just going to Home Depot, they seem to have a great variety of options and everything is usually in stock. Lowes, I just can't seem to like them as much as Home Depot, can't put my finger on it, possibly the store layouts, dunno. Reno Depot, ugh, 'nuf said.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    KTM

Rona(Totem) for wood, Home Depot for almost everything else.

There is a Home Hardware in Airdrie. Ended up buying my composite decking from there, they were insane with customer service, pricing and suggestions at their contractors desk (although I am not a contractor).
    Last edited by craigcd; 01-05-2018 at 12:50 PM.

I wish there was a Home Hardware in Calgary, I don't mind shopping at the ones in Airdrie, Cochrane and Okotoks when I'm working in those towns.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Grimace

Home Depot for most things. Lowes if neat if I am out near Balzac and sometimes Renodepot depending on sale or if I need something quick as it is closest.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So I'm wondering what would be everyone's go-to hardware store - I'm talking Home Depot, Lowes, Reno Depot and Rona as they are the four major chains in Calgary, I've listed Rona as separate from Lowes because there is still quite a difference between the two even though Lowes bought Rona.

Rona on Edmonton Trail is the closest hardware store to my home but I've just about given up on Rona as their selection is abysmal at best and often they just don't have stock. Tried to get both a 3 foot and 4 foot ruler at the Signal Hill Rona this morning, yeah that was pointless.

Thus I find myself just going to Home Depot, they seem to have a great variety of options and everything is usually in stock. Lowes, I just can't seem to like them as much as Home Depot, can't put my finger on it, possibly the store layouts, dunno. Reno Depot, ugh, 'nuf said.
    The signal hill rona is terrible - and the lowes is not that much better. The lowes should be better because the store is massive but they still dont seem to stock too much more. I prefer Home Depot although Lowes is sometimes better for pricing. I like the Home Depot near tuscany
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    The signal hill rona is terrible - and the lowes is not that much better. The lowes should be better because the store is massive but they still dont seem to stock too much more. I prefer Home Depot although Lowes is sometimes better for pricing. I like the Home Depot near tuscany
    Signal Hill Lowes is like 80% appliances.

Rona because it’s the closest hardware store to me and usually has whatever I need when I go there. Home Depot has a bit better selection than Rona, closest one to me is the one by Chinook so it’s my second choice. Hardly ever go to Lowe’s and I have never been to Reno Depot.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Like above, Home Depot because it's closest to me. Rona isn't too far either, so sometimes I go there. Lowes only if I'm going on my lunch break at work.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Home depot. I just turn right. Too much hassle turning left at the lights into Rona..

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

My go to used to be Rona as it was literally a minute drive from my house. They've now converted it to a Lowes store and although now the layout is much cleaner, they don't carry the brands Rona used to have for small repair items and have their in-house brands which are a few bucks more.

But with pricematching these days, dont really matter what store. Whatever store has the item in stock and can price-match really.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I pretty much exclusively use the Country Hills Home Depot. It is the closest to my house, and I get the best service there through the pro-desk. They know me by name, and have my phone number memorized. The guys there are super knowledgable and friendly, and if time allows, we will even grab a coffee together. having said that, if they lose Danny and Russ there, I would probably stop going.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Home depot. I just turn right. Too much hassle turning left at the lights into Rona..
    I got a Home Depot across the street from Lowes pretty much, so if it's something small I just go to Lowes, but for everything else, Home Depot, aside from screws by the pound, for that I go to the old Totem converted Rona stores. All 3 are close enough to me that it doesn't really matter, but I prefer Home Depot the most, don't know why.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The old totem locations are much different from the rest of the Rona locations. Good for lumber or projects, but not nearly as much selection as the big ronas.

Lowes seems to have the best selection of things. That was certainly true for the last few plumbing projects I've done.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I seem to regularly be at Home Depot. But there is a place called AMRE Supply near my work, and jeez that place is awesome. It's like a store more meant for rental and commercial property owners. You can find all the parts and pieces to repair various household type equipment or more industrial cleaning supplies... hard to describe. They also sell lots of plumbing related equipment. Basically they sell everything except wood related products. You don't go there for new construction, but they have lots of reno/cleaning/plumbing/electrical bits and bobs that are so hard to find.

Walked in there, they had IN STOCK the adapters for portable dishwasher to tapset fittings. How awesome is that? The guy even explained the difference as they had a couple (I just bought all 3, didn't know which one I needed).

And the guys there are super knowledgeable. The new place has commercial vinyl flooring and it was in BAD shape. Dude walked me through what to use, what mops/brushes to use for the different applications, everything (he used to be the lead janitor at a large commercial building for years).

country hills Home Depot as my go-to since it's closest, but if i'm doing a big project i'll shop around and drive out to Lowes or Rona if necessary. Last year i did some patio stones and same stones ended up being about 30% cheaper after a promo that Lowes had running.

Lowes and HD have very little product overlap (other than appliances). Lowes runs sales like mad though so it's almost always worth buying from there if you can. Lowes selection of thinset sucks, but they sell various charcoals if you don't want to bother going to BBQs Galore.

Rona mostly just sucks now except for wood.

Always Home Depot. Worked at Rona for 4-5 years and hated that place. Selection, prices, and staff (after my departure ) are average at best IMO.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Lowes's web sales are better.

But the goto for me is Beacon Hills HD.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

AMRE is awesome. Wish it was closer to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Lowes in Westhills for me. While Home Depot generally has a better selection it's rare that they have something that I need that Lowes doesn't. Getting to and from Home Depot by Chinook is such a shit show traffic debacle so I only go there if desperate for that reason alone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast