Quantcast
Your go-to hardware store - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Your go-to hardware store

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lowes in Westhills for me. While Home Depot generally has a better selection it's rare that they have something that I need that Lowes doesn't. Getting to and from Home Depot by Chinook is such a shit show traffic debacle so I only go there if desperate for that reason alone.
    Country Hills HD isn't far from Westhills

My Ride
    Blue boy

It's a half hour trek from Westhills to country hills

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Country Hills HD isn't far from Westhills
    By what, helicopter?!? You must be mistaken.

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Old man topic, op is speeddog. Checks out.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    It's a half hour trek from Westhills to country hills
    Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    By what, helicopter?!? You must be mistaken.
    Sorry meant Nose Hill

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    The signal hill rona is terrible - and the lowes is not that much better. The lowes should be better because the store is massive but they still dont seem to stock too much more. I prefer Home Depot although Lowes is sometimes better for pricing. I like the Home Depot near tuscany
    That Lowes should be better now that the NW has their own.

ROFL, I went to that Lowes and me and another guy completely cleaned out the subway tiles.

Jelly?

I've got lots more yet to post and seeing as many beyond members think they're so old, these tips of threads will be rite up their alley.

And hey, aren't you close to me in age?
    Will fuck off, again.

If its something they stock I usually head for Timber Town esp for lumbar, laminate etc. If not I go where the price is best and then closeness. No loyalty to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    No loyalty to anyone.
    This kind of describes me, too.

Living in Hidden Valley NW, the Home Depot in Country Hills and the Reno Depot are both pretty close. Next closest are the Home Depot at Beacon Hill NW or the Lowes in Balzac, and to some degree the Home Hardware in Airdrie.

I used to like Totem before Rona took them over, but from here, both the Edmonton Trail and the 16th Ave NW are kind of far.

Timber Town and Windsor Plywood have been pretty good sources for some projects, and also the Home Improvement Warehouse (Barlow and Centre Ave NE). Reliable Parts for appliance parts has their big distribution centre not far away on 72 Ave NE and Ecco Supply for those HVAC-type jobs is on 65 Ave NE which is also pretty close.

My girlfriend lives in the far south (McKenzie Towne area) and I'll be moving there in the next couple of months, so it will be either Home Depot or Lowes on 130th Ave for me. The Rona in Douglasdale is tiny and a bit of a joke, so I likely will never go there -- if necessary, the Rona in Midnapore is likely a better bet of the two.

Side note: anyone remember when Aikenhead's was briefly at the now-Home Depot location just off Memorial and 36th St NE, around 2000 or 2001?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    I seem to regularly be at Home Depot. But there is a place called AMRE Supply near my work, and jeez that place is awesome. It's like a store more meant for rental and commercial property owners. You can find all the parts and pieces to repair various household type equipment or more industrial cleaning supplies... hard to describe. They also sell lots of plumbing related equipment. Basically they sell everything except wood related products. You don't go there for new construction, but they have lots of reno/cleaning/plumbing/electrical bits and bobs that are so hard to find.

Walked in there, they had IN STOCK the adapters for portable dishwasher to tapset fittings. How awesome is that? The guy even explained the difference as they had a couple (I just bought all 3, didn't know which one I needed).

And the guys there are super knowledgeable. The new place has commercial vinyl flooring and it was in BAD shape. Dude walked me through what to use, what mops/brushes to use for the different applications, everything (he used to be the lead janitor at a large commercial building for years).
    AMRE is awesome, only been there once, but they had the gas valve i needed for my furnace last winter. I originally ordered it online and it say about a week delivery, but later on they called and said "backordered at the manufacturer". I had no heat in the house, but it was a warm couple of weeks so I was mostly okay, but when they told me it would be months, I asked if I could cancel, which is against their online policy for special order. The lady on the phone understood my situation and said she would call me in a little bit after talking to the manager. When she called me back, she said they found the valve at another supplier and will have it for me in the store the following morning! Amazing service. $125 and my furnace was fixed from a sticking valve. I spoke with the guy who finally called me to say it's ready for pickup, and he was really nice and really wanted me to come back some other time for anything else I need. I will definitely check them out later, noticed they had UPS batteries there which is great for when mine take a dump.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Lowes for almost everything as their prices consistently blow Home Depot out of the water. I always compare the two stores as they are right across from each other on 130th so its really easy and Home Depot has never been cheaper. That being said, they do have a "we will beat any competitors advertised price by 10%" policy that I've taken advantage of to beat a Lowes price. Home Depot wanted $2300 for the lumber, concrete and hardware to build my deck. I took that quote to Lowes which priced it out at $1600 for me. Took that quote back to Home Depot and they beat it by 10% so in those cases it has worked out for me but that's still a $700 difference for the same product right off the bat.

Two weeks ago I bought $500.84 worth of maple 1x2, 1x4 and 1x8 from Lowes and it would have been $616.56 at Home Depot. Any specialty wood I go to Windsor even though they aren't very price competitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    AMRE is awesome, only been there once, but they had the gas valve i needed for my furnace last winter. I originally ordered it online and it say about a week delivery, but later on they called and said "backordered at the manufacturer". I had no heat in the house, but it was a warm couple of weeks so I was mostly okay, but when they told me it would be months, I asked if I could cancel, which is against their online policy for special order. The lady on the phone understood my situation and said she would call me in a little bit after talking to the manager. When she called me back, she said they found the valve at another supplier and will have it for me in the store the following morning! Amazing service. $125 and my furnace was fixed from a sticking valve. I spoke with the guy who finally called me to say it's ready for pickup, and he was really nice and really wanted me to come back some other time for anything else I need. I will definitely check them out later, noticed they had UPS batteries there which is great for when mine take a dump.
    I really try and go there for everything now because of this exact reason. They are SUPER helpful with real, honest to god customer service. And as you found out, they have everything listed on their website. Its a bit janky, but honestly the website is better than Home depots or Lowes, and it shows stock for all their stores.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

AMRE is my go-to for furnace, humidifier, A/C parts. Some stuff is overpriced, other stuff is fine.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
    AMRE is my go-to for furnace, humidifier, A/C parts. Some stuff is overpriced, other stuff is fine.
    Word. Got a furnace control board from them when no companies could overnight one since it was holidays. Also bought a knob for a old circa 2000 Whirlpool washing machine. Was using pliers as a quick fix
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Lowes for almost everything as their prices consistently blow Home Depot out of the water.
    Went out on boxing day needing a single piece of insulation, and since it's boxing day and Home Depot is in the same parking lot as Best Buy, I just stopped at Lowes. Cost me $15 for a single 2x16x48 piece, which is expensive, but that's all I needed. Figured it would be the same at home depot and I wouldn't have to deal with traffic. Well a few weeks later and I need more insulation, so dropped by home depot...same sized piece by a different manufacturer, $7.77, fml, that's like half price.I tried to check online ahead of time by Home Depot site was being retarded so couldn't check.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2