Quantcast
Washer leaves film on clothes - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Washer leaves film on clothes

Default Washer leaves film on clothes

Has anyone run into this problem?

We have a basic, newer, He, top load washer with center agitator. It has no filters to clean (according to their website, General Electric stopped using filters in the early 2000's since larger diameter drainage and stronger pumps worked better).

We don't use fabric softener or additives, just bulk Costco "natural" detergent.

I have run an off-the-shelf washing machine cleaner through the machine, but most of those seem to be designed to remove odors which is not the problem. Didn't seem to help.

The washer leaves streaks of white film on some dark clothes and I can't figure out why. I think it's highly compressed lint mixed with detergent residue, since you can kind of scrape it off with your fingernail and a lint roller reduces it. It kind of gets packed into the clothing fibers like a fine powder. It's definitely not permanent, just annoying especially for work clothes.

Anyone come across this before? It's not the greatest washing machine so maybe just an problem inherit to the design, but I thought I'd check. I never had this problem with my old front-load He unit.

Change your laundry detergent. I had to with an old top loader.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

How old is the washer? Probably needs a internal cleaning.

I could try switch the detergent again I guess, can't hurt. We've used Tide, Gain, and now the Kirkland stuff assuming that the natural/biodegradable stuff would have the least additives to build residue.

The washer is probably 6ish years old? Not 100% sure but it is reasonably new and in perfect working order other than this. Maybe it does need to be disassembled and cleaned, that would make sense if it's possible. I believe the manual says it never needs to be cleaned, which may mean it's built in such a way that disassembly is a PITA.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I could try switch the detergent again I guess, can't hurt. We've used Tide, Gain, and now the Kirkland stuff assuming that the natural/biodegradable stuff would have the least additives to build residue.

The washer is probably 6ish years old? Not 100% sure but it is reasonably new and in perfect working order other than this. Maybe it does need to be disassembled and cleaned, that would make sense if it's possible. I believe the manual says it never needs to be cleaned, which may mean it's built in such a way that disassembly is a PITA.
    At the minimal look at the top of the tub and see how much crap is there as well as take out the agitator and clean under it.

What temperature is your water? Many powders don't dissolve completely in cold water.

Also start the water first, add the detergent and then add clothes.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

For darks, maybe try Woolite Dark Liquid. I know it's on the pricy side.

Side note: my buddy uses pods, not sure what kind of machine. This one time the pod must not have dissolved and looked like he had a money shot on his shoulder. Or maybe it actually was... hmmmmmm

My Ride
    Trucks

Just don’t use any powders. Problem solved.

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Washer cleaning cycle with bleach only. Do that every few months.