Quantcast
Why no veggies and fruit? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Why no veggies and fruit?

Default Why no veggies and fruit?

Old man yelling at the clouds again with another shit quality thread but I'll ask why so many just do not eat veggies and fruit?

Our kids, they'll eat anything under the sun but that's probably because my wife and I are the same way and my parents were as well when I was a youngster many decades ago. But our two sort of adopted kids, hell the one is just carrots, asparagus and broccoli and the other, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and potatoes. Those two are also always just carb loading, chips, cereal, rice and yet they can't figure out why they feel unwell so much of the time and have weight issues.

Hell, I joke that out two Guinea pigs eat better than those two. Most of the people we know, fruit sand veggies are a rarity as well - my SIL's place is just apples and bananas and bananas are quite rare as well. Veggies are scarce too. My eldest nephew is strictly a meat and potatoes guy, when he was a youngster it was just hotdogs and KD and his parents indulged him to the point that they'd bring warmed up hotdogs and KD to family get togethers and restaurants. Yeah, that's lazy parenting in my books but lazy parenting just seems to be all too common when it comes to fruit and veggies.

As a final example, who the hell doesn't like a slice of good watermelon on a warm summer day and I know plenty of kids and young adults who'll turn their nose up at that. Our rule of thumb with our kids was they had to try something once and with an open mind as well but because we had done this with them as soon as they eating regular foods it never became a game to them.

In the end, I think the health and wellness of the general population would be quite a bit better off if people just ate more fruit and veggies and especially so in their uncooked forms. Otherwise, they'll be my SIL's family who catch every cold/flu and run to the doctor/pharmacy at the drop of the hat and now my SIL is fairly immunity challenged in her 50's - so much so that people won't go visit them if they have the sniffles themselves because she'll probably get quite sick.

You beyond members, do you or your kids eat fresh fruit and veggies as a regular daily part of your diet? If not, why?
    Will fuck off, again.

few reasons:

1) getting a bad one.
    2) convenience.
    3) taste buds

1: getting a bad one turned me off from that particular thing for awhile. You get more consistency with shit food. It's not that I disliked stuff when I was young, but it was pretty random. also, IMO in canada, a lot of our fruit is complete shit. it was picked 6000 years before it should have been so it can survive a boat ride and sit in a store for 2 months before it ripens. Go eat a grape fruit off a tree in california and then go eat one of our sad sacks of shit we get sold in a grocery store.
    2: its easier to grab something from the cubboard that's already prepared, so it comes down to laziness/time. who wants to spend 5 minutes preparing somethign when they could grab something in 3 seconds (this is why the fruit i eat is generally just bite in to it fruit, like apples). Plus you need to buy it frequently to keep it fresh. Now growing up in bc we had a yard full of fruit trees, and there pretty much was raspberry bushes all around, so i ate that stuff when u could just walk up to a tree or bush, likewise when i viisted my grandparents farm here in alberta, i ate veggies from their garden all the time. pull a carrot out of the ground and go was pretty good, but no thx if its in a fridge cuz u gotta do something with it usually.
    3: tastebuds. well, the older i get the more I like this stuff i guess. I'll have an apple or 2 a day lately, or some random asian grapefruit or pear. I have a cousin that hates candy, and his idea of desert from age 4-5 was fruit, and to this day still has that same hatrid of candy and like of fruit. his brother was pretty much normal. so some people are just different.

also, what is wrong with apples and bananas? what is wrong with carrots and asparagus and broccoli? dont tell me you're advocating its not real fruits and vegs if its not some hipster niche market thing no one's ever heard of, like a variety of kale only found in east timor, and some sorta purple brocolli thing.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I can't eat most vegetables or foods due to taste buds.

I don't eat mustard, mayo, miracle whip etc. Texture also plays a huge role for foods to be eaten but I also grew up forced to eat foods I didn't like as well.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Because everything was better when you were younger. People were smarter, healthier, and generally better.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    NC1

Do you lift bro

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Vegetarian for 5 months, vegan for 2 weeks ... Will get back into bodybuilding in the spring as a vegan, you absolutely do not need meat to do it. We have the technology to extract vitamin B12 from things like grass now, iron and protein will come from stuff like oatmeal, spinach, tofu, nuts, the list goes on. There is a growing body of evidence that meat of any kind along with dairy products do more harm than good.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

^ lol

I eat a serving of blueberries/raspberries and oats with my greek yogurt every day, as well as an apple or banana. Every meal comes with a portion of veggies.

I've observed that in order to facilitate my dietary habits, we need to be in the grocery store at least twice per week. Fresh fruit/veg doesn't last much longer than a few days, and I've learned the hard way that buying "bulk" to last a week to ten days just results in mouldy food.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Sounds like too many people who have never been genuinely hungry in their lives.

My wife's sisters are like this and apparently refuse to eat pretty well anything. When they were here in December I made a real dinner for adults and put it in front of them and told them idgaf if they eat it or not but that's what's for dinner.

They ate it

People just need to get off their high horse about trendy California diets and get used to eating vegetables that actually grow in Canada and you don't have issues with freshness.

At the same time I really just dgaf what people eat, more for me.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Sounds like too many people who have never been genuinely hungry in their lives.

My wife's sisters are like this and apparently refuse to eat pretty well anything. When they were here in December I made a real dinner for adults and put it in front of them and told them idgaf if they eat it or not but that's what's for dinner.

They ate it

People just need to get off their high horse about trendy California diets and get used to eating vegetables that actually grow in Canada and you don't have issues with freshness.

At the same time I really just dgaf what people eat, more for me.
    I have been on the receiving end of getting food from food banks and having no food at all. You can still be picky and find ways to eat what you want on little to nothing.

No matter how hungry I would get you could not get me to eat a sandwich with mayo on it.

My Ride
    NC1

Benefits of growing up poor, you eat or you die lol

My Ride
    X5

Maybe its me, but I find the quality of diet differs amongst economic/social classes. Poor people don't tend to eat as much fruits/veggies/overall balanced diet and gear towards breads/grains/meat, as well as eating out alot. I find richer people tend to eat more fruits/veggies/balanced and eat more at home than out. Just an observation of viewing friends/family/coworkers/customers etc.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh View Post
    Maybe its me, but I find the quality of diet differs amongst economic/social classes. Poor people don't tend to eat as much fruits/veggies/overall balanced diet and gear towards breads/grains/meat, as well as eating out alot. I find richer people tend to eat more fruits/veggies/balanced and eat more at home than out. Just an observation of viewing friends/family/coworkers/customers etc.
    Thats because poor people can't afford fresh. When 6 apples costs you almost $7 thats crazy.

I grew up Ukrainian and we ate everything... Almost nothing got wasted. My mom was of the "if you don't want it, don't eat it, but you sure as hell aren't getting anything else" school. We always had veggies and salads as part of our meals, and I ate it all.

There were a few things growing up that I could stand, but even then as I grew up I outgrew my distaste for them.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I travel a lot (upwards of 200 days a year) and I always try to grab some fresh fruit at the airport or if I’m in a hurry I’ll chug a V8. (Lots of sodium but I don’t give a shit, drink more water.)

Does avocado toast count as a veggie?
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Thats because poor people can't afford fresh. When 6 apples costs you almost $7 thats crazy.
    Yah this about sums it up. Rich people have someone at home usually to make nicer dinners, can afford fresh/organic/out of season veggies. etc.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

We eat fresh food almost daily.

My son eats a lunch every day that consists of, 1 apple , 1 orange, a cucumber, snap peas, handful of carrots, grape tomatoes, along with a turkey sandwich on multi grain, a granola bar & some sesame snaps.

For breakfast he usually has oats or some sort of multi grain cereal.

For dinner we usually have chicken, or fish with two sides of fresh vegetables and a starch.

My son only drinks water or milk.

The rest of us try to eat just as well.

I’m guilty of lots of booze on the weekend haha.

We don’t consume much sugar in our family.

We also stay away from processed and fried foods.

Meat is essential in a healthy diet, Vegans are idiots, seriously.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    We eat fresh food almost daily.

My son eats a lunch every day that consists of, 1 apple , 1 orange, a cucumber, snap peas, handful of carrots, grape tomatoes, along with a turkey sandwich on multi grain, a granola bar & some sesame snaps.

For breakfast he usually has oats or some sort of multi grain cereal.

For dinner we usually have chicken, or fish with two sides of fresh vegetables and a starch.

My son only drinks water or milk.

The rest of us try to eat just as well.

I’m guilty of lots of booze on the weekend haha.

We don’t consume much sugar in our family.

We also stay away from processed and fried foods.

Meat is essential in a healthy diet, Vegans are idiots, seriously.
    Really? I can get everything you get in your meat (and more) from non-meat.... Explain that.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by NissanFanBoy View Post
    Really? I can get everything you get in your meat (and more) from non-meat.... Explain that.
    Vitamin B12?

(Not knocking your dietary choices, just wondering where you get B12 when there are no natural, plant-based sources)

My Ride
    G37X

I couldn't live without oranges, avocados, bananas, carrots, potatoes, grapes, peppers and so forth. I can't recall a recent day where I haven't had at least 2-3 of them.

I think this is an AB thing. Or maybe a Calgary thing. Back home (Vancouver Island - Lotus Land) we used to go to the farmer's market at least twice a week.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast