Quantcast
Where/How to find a small workshop space? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Where/How to find a small workshop space?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Default Where/How to find a small workshop space?

So a few months ago I started a design / 3d printing business and things have been going really well. A few products released and sales are enough to do this full time and keep building things but I'm getting close to the point of out growing our apartment. I don't need a commercial business front as everything is online / mail stuff for the most part but I would like more space and likely looking to move to a dedicated space in late spring.

Unfortunate a lot of the budget friendly co-working spaces wouldn't go well with a few 3d printers making noise 24/7. They're not particularly noisy as I have them in enclosures (like if I close our bedroom door I can only faintly hear it) but its too much for cubicle or small office life with neighbors.

Space wise I'd be fine with as little as 10 x 10 at a bare minimum though a more than that would be preferred.

Option 1:
    Find a garage to rent that is heated and is okay with use for a business (and figure out proper insurance)

Option 2:
    Find a commercial or industrial place that has an extra office or bay that doesn't care about some noise (auto garage or workshop)

Option 3:
    Find a complementary business to work along side in their space?

My Ride
    V8s

Option 4: Move into a bigger apartment/house/condo with an extra bedroom. Run the extra cost through the business, thus paying for it with pre-tax dollars?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Option 4: Move into a bigger apartment/house/condo with an extra bedroom. Run the extra cost through the business, thus paying for it with pre-tax dollars?
    We sort of talked about that but mentally it would be nice having a separate space. As convenient as it is working from home, it often leads to working all the time and not taking proper breaks. Too often its watching netflix and hang on I just wanna switch over some prints between episodes because it's here. As weird as it sounds I miss getting out of the house more frequently and actually enjoyed the commute time.

My Ride
    4x4

There's a new makerspace over in Forest lawn that does some commercial leases... Give you access to some extra tools and or printers if needs exceed your capacity...

My Ride
    TRD Pro

I run a Business Centre downtown, we have inside offices starting at $600/month. Noise could be a concern though...

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's a new makerspace over in Forest lawn that does some commercial leases... Give you access to some extra tools and or printers if needs exceed your capacity...
    I checked them out, I signed up to use their laser cutters but not sure about their commercial spaces. It was only 8x8 space and they weren't able to give me a straight answer if I'd be able to have a few printers of my own running all the time here. Maybe once they've been open a few weeks I'll try and talk to them again once they sort things out.