Quantcast
Condensation in attic - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Condensation in attic

My Ride
    K20A2

Default Condensation in attic

I have Condensation in my attic And it drips down and I have a water stain above my master bedroom. I spoke to my builder and he said that this is normal. It Happened last year and this year as well and this only happens after he gets super cold and then A chinook hits. Is there a solution to fix this any help would be great or anyone that knows a good roofer
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Its not 'normal' and it shouldn't happen.

Its called attic rain and is cause by warm, humid air leaking from your house into the attic and freezing on the underside of the roof sheathing when it really cold. As it stays cold it continues to build up more and more ice. Then when the temperature warms up it melts and rains down through the attic onto the ceiling drywall.

You need to fix all the air (and humidity) leaking from your house into the attic. I bet your bathroom exhaust fan/duct is leaking air into the attic.

My Ride
    K20A2

my builder apparently tape it up good last year but i still have the water stain same spot. anyone you can recommend to look at it as my one year warren-tee expire two years ago from my builder

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Its called attic rain and is cause by warm, humid air leaking from your house into the attic and freezing on the underside of the roof sheathing when it really cold. As it stays cold it continues to build up more and more ice. Then when the temperature warms up it melts and rains down through the attic onto the ceiling drywall.

You need to fix all the air (and humidity) leaking from your house into the attic. I bet your bathroom exhaust fan/duct is leaking air into the attic.
    my builder apparently tape it up good last year but i still have the water stain same spot. anyone you can recommend to look at it as my one year warren-tee expire two years ago from my builder
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    14 ZL1

Is there a roof vent in that location? I had an issue at my last place where the snow blew in through a roof vent during a big snow storm and then melted and caused water mark.
    Mike
    14 ZL1
    07 Mazdaspeed3

My Ride
    K20A2

Quote Originally Posted by mikestypes View Post
    Is there a roof vent in that location? I had an issue at my last place where the snow blew in through a roof vent during a big snow storm and then melted and caused water mark.
    im not sure i can look when i am home but even it there is a roof vent there. how can i prevent it form happening again next years
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    K20A2

any good roofers in mind let me know as i would like to get this addressed asap
    Built with Chopsticks

This. Haha 'normal' I like that.

Im dealing with this right now in one of my homes. Having an attic insulation company come out to figure out where the air from the house is leaking leaking into the attic and how to fix it. I doubt its a roofer issue.

I think more people are seeing this happening this year due to the huge swings in temps we've been seeing.

My Ride
    Ford F150

This.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    K20A2

Quote Originally Posted by mix123 View Post
    This. Haha 'normal' I like that.

Im dealing with this right now in one of my homes. Having an attic insulation company come out to figure out where the air from the house is leaking leaking into the attic and how to fix it. I doubt its a roofer issue.

I think more people are seeing this happening this year due to the huge swings in temps we've been seeing.
    i called roof hospital and it was lack of air flow in my attic so they said i need some intake vent and some air was leaking due to my bathroom fan as well
    Built with Chopsticks

Quote Originally Posted by 95EG6P View Post
    i called roof hospital and it was lack of air flow in my attic so they said i need some intake vent and some air was leaking due to my bathroom fan as well
    Did they come to your house and check or told you over the phone? I just noticed a stain by one of the pot lights in my house.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by ducaudi View Post
    Did they come to your house and check or told you over the phone? I just noticed a stain by one of the pot lights in my house.
    They would need to look at it in person.... or else there just guessing like random internet strangers.

My Ride
    03' B6

Please get this checked out sooner than later. Same thing happened to us and our neighbors, but instead of getting it fixed right away - we dealt with attic mould issues. Apparently it's super common in newer built homes.

We dealt with Epic Roofing on air flow consulting and got them to install new ventilation for us.

My Ride
    Treg/B7

What were the costs you guys got charged to have it inspected and fixed?

My Ride
    K20A2

Quote Originally Posted by Jerms View Post
    Please get this checked out sooner than later. Same thing happened to us and our neighbors, but instead of getting it fixed right away - we dealt with attic mould issues. Apparently it's super common in newer built homes.

We dealt with Epic Roofing on air flow consulting and got them to install new ventilation for us.
    yeah they installed 6 ventilation on my roof so hopefully this fixes it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rarasaurus View Post
    What were the costs you guys got charged to have it inspected and fixed?
    for roof hospital to come look at my roof was 250 then it was 1050 to install the rook ventilation

- - - Updated - - -

when they installed the ventilation did it fix your issues
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    03' B6

Quote Originally Posted by 95EG6P View Post
    yeah they installed 6 ventilation on my roof so hopefully this fixes it

- - - Updated - - -

for roof hospital to come look at my roof was 250 then it was 1050 to install the rook ventilation

- - - Updated - - -

when they installed the ventilation did it fix your issues
    We paid $362 for them to install 2 air intakes, called Weather pro 50. Removed our current whirlybird, patch the hole with proper sheathing and install a new Durflow roof vent at the peak of the attic and installed 2 new vents where necessary

It didn't full eliminate the process. After the cold snap in December, I didn't notice any leaking or "attic rain" per se but i'll have to check it out once the weather gets warmer

My Ride
    K20A2

We paid $362 for them to install 2 air intakes, called Weather pro 50. Removed our current whirlybird, patch the hole with proper sheathing and install a new Durflow roof vent at the peak of the attic and installed 2 new vents where necessary

It didn't full eliminate the process. After the cold snap in December, I didn't notice any leaking or "attic rain" per se but i'll have to check it out once the weather gets warmer
    geez you paid $362 did my roffer overcharge me. i just hope i never see that water stain again or roof hospital will great a call asap
    Built with Chopsticks

Roof Hospital is a total ripoff and they don't have a clue as to what they're doing.

My Ride
    K20A2

[QUOTE=suntan;4707742]Roof Hospital is a total ripoff and they don't have a clue as to what they're doing.[/QUO
    i hope they did a good job guess only time will tell but as for customer service he really was a nice guy and walked me through the whole process.
    Built with Chopsticks

Oh yeah they're nice guys but total fucking idiots.

My Ride
    CBR 929

If you need to remove a water stain from your ceiling mix 50/50 water and bleach in a spray bottle and spray the stain multiple times, letting the stain dry between each application. Actually works very very well.

[url]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast