Quantcast
Road Passing (No Center Lane) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Road Passing (No Center Lane)

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Default Road Passing (No Center Lane)

I know this has been brought up but I can't find anything and I know a lot of people say you can and a lot of people say you can't.

Where in the law books does it state that you can or can not pass and is it up to interpretation?

For example your driving west on 3rd ave and grandma is doing 20km/h and nobody is oncoming in the other lane.

Name:  passing.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  35.7 KB

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Well considering there is a school on that corner and its a playground zone you'd be an idiot for passing regardless of legality.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well considering there is a school on that corner and its a playground zone you'd be an idiot for passing regardless of legality.
    The playground zone ends just further up. But let's not worry about that and just the law/passing part.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Restrictions on overtaking and passing
    23 Notwithstanding anything in this Regulation, a person driving
    a vehicle shall not drive the vehicle so as to overtake and pass or
    attempt to overtake or to pass another vehicle
    (a) by driving off the roadway,
    (b) by driving in a parking lane, or
    (c) when the act of overtaking and passing cannot be made
    safely.
    23 b and 23 c may apply but I don't see anything illegal about that if you pass under speed limit.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    23 b and 23 c may apply but I don't see anything illegal about that if you pass under speed limit.
    Yah that is what I found too.

Even though it might be legal to pass, when an officer pulls you over to discuss what they might perceive as a problem means you're now going to spend more time talking to tbat police officer then you would've spent behind that grandma. The difference in time over that 350 meter section - about 38 seconds. Put the tunes on and chill, fuck there's better stuff to get your knickers all knotted up over.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Even though it might be legal to pass, when an officer pulls you over to discuss what they might perceive as a problem means you're now going to spend more time talking to tbat police officer then you would've spent behind that grandma. The difference in time over that 350 meter section - about 38 seconds. Put the tunes on and chill, fuck there's better stuff to get your knickers all knotted up over.
    Again just an example. There are a ton of roads like this and I would not do it but others would.

Perfectly legal to pass. I argued this with an AMA instructor who marked me wrong on this during the written part of my regular driver training for work. I don’t remember exactly the number of the section in the Alberta TSA but there is a specific section on this and essentially anywhere you can do it safely, there isn’t a double solid line, it’s not in a playground zone and you don’t exceed the speed limit it’s perfectly legal. The AMA instructor said I was legally correct but it’s AMA’s stance that it’s never safe to do that therefore it wouldn’t meet the ‘safely’ requirement.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Perfectly legal to pass. I argued this with an AMA instructor who marked me wrong on this during the written part of my regular driver training for work. I don’t remember exactly the number of the section in the Alberta TSA but there is a specific section on this and essentially anywhere you can do it safely, there isn’t a double solid line, it’s not in a playground zone and you don’t exceed the speed limit it’s perfectly legal. The AMA instructor said I was legally correct but it’s AMA’s stance that it’s never safe to do that therefore it wouldn’t meet the ‘safely’ requirement.
    Just to touch on something it IS legal to pass in a playground zone but only when the hours are not in effect.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Just to touch on something it IS legal to pass in a playground zone but only when the hours are not in effect.
    Which is pretty much never these days.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    G37X

I do it all the time @ 630 am in my neighborhood. Always some fool slogging along at 30 KM hr probably half awake. Mind you, this is not a playground zone.
    Even better when they honk and hi beam you afterwards.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    So many people would pull a left turn into driveway on those streets without looking, passing them on the left is risky.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

So I sent an email off to Transportation and actually got a response back..

Thank you for your provincial government web inquiry.

According to section 1(t) of the Use of Highway and Rules of the Road Regulation, a traffic lane is defined as being of sufficient width to accommodate the passage of a single line of vehicles. Hence, if the roadway in question is of sufficient width for two lines of traffic travelling in the same direction, it would be regarded as such, irrespective of whether lane divider markings exist.

Obviously, care must be taken when attempting to pass another vehicle on roadways where lane and centre line markings are not present. Section 23 of the Use of Highway and Rules of the Road Regulation advises that passing must not be attempted if the act cannot be done so safely.

The Use of Highway and Rules of the Road Regulation may be viewed online at: http://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?pa...1&display=html.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    So many people would pull a left turn into driveway on those streets without looking, passing them on the left is risky.
    Hilariously enough, the fault would lie on the driver turning left into their driveway.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2775380/c...ound-at-fault/
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I've passed people like this before. When someone is driving that far under the speed limit in good conditions, I start to wonder if they are impaired, asleep, or something similar. Or, sometimes people aren't paying attention at all and don't speed back up when a playground zone ends or is outside hours so they keep driving at 25km/h well past the END sign.

I also don't buy the argument that people should always just relax and wait to save 30 seconds, because it's not that simple. Often even being unnecessarily delayed a few seconds can make you miss a light at a 5-min multi-way intersection for example, or delaying you into a route where you miss a bunch of timed lights. That can really start to add up over a longer journey, so if it's in my control to safely pass a car travelling at an unsafe speed, I usually do so.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

So many people ignorant of the actual laws surrounding using the road. The main boulevard going to my street is technically a two lane each way, but people insist on driving in the middle. Have gotten the honk/hi-beam/finger for driving and passing them correctly.

If you really want to enrage people, pass them by crossing a solid yellow line.

Sadly, none of these people have ever gotten out to confront me. Would love to call the police myself and get them a ticket for not maintaining their lane and a primer on how to drive properly.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    So many people ignorant of the actual laws surrounding using the road. The main boulevard going to my street is technically a two lane each way, but people insist on driving in the middle. Have gotten the honk/hi-beam/finger for driving and passing them correctly.
    Wait, how do they not know it's a two-lane roadway? Lane markings covered in snow?

Rocky Ridge Blvd is two lane each way and had no lane markings on it for years. The city put some in a couple of years ago.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    Wait, how do they not know it's a two-lane roadway? Lane markings covered in snow?
    Even in the summer people would drive down the center and and turn left/right from the wrong lane. No lane markings, but it is two lanes in each direction
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Rocky Ridge Blvd is two lane each way and had no lane markings on it for years. The city put some in a couple of years ago.
    Home Road between Bowness and 16th heading South is awesome for it sometimes being 1 lane or 2 lanes southbound depending on drivers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast