Quantcast
Evening Haskayne MBA - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Evening Haskayne MBA

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Dean told them to pound sand, if they want to do the other program they are free to drop out and reapply

I have found it all very entertaining. Can’t wait for class tonight to see the result of that shit show.
    Last edited by killramos; 01-18-2018 at 03:44 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    dean told them to pound sand, if they want to do the other program they are free to drop out and reapply

I have found it all very entertaining. Can’t wait for class tonight to see the result of that shit show.
    lololol

My Ride
    X5

I have had some conversations with fellow classmates about this and its definitely an issue.

No interview, no GMAT, No work experience requirements, and half the courseload, and half the cost and you come out with the same MBA as everyone else. My class is full of people taking this route.

Its just a cash cow from Haskayne to sucker their former students to come back and collect a few more letters who otherwise wouldn't, and shouldn't, have bothered. Even the EMBA is a bit suspect, considering all the courses are exactly the same as the regular program ( except the profs have all made a bunch of hints that they make it even easier to pass), you are just paying more for the E and a different course schedule.

Lots of other issues with the program being too easy etc, pretty much impossible to fail anything.

It was actually funny about how dodgy they are about their lax entrance requirements when you have them in the same room about other schools at MBA recruitment conventions etc.

As an MBA grad, I can confirm. The only difference between EMBA and MBA is the E. I've dubbed the E as "Expensive" lol.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Go online and read the course calendar. Courses are exactly the same between the three programs.

You are paying to go to school with fewer mouth breathers in theory. I can see how people would be down with paying double to not have to talk to me, their loss

Doesn’t bother me either way, but GL holding it over my head.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

So thanks to the accelerated program I managed to get my company support to send me for the evening MBA. So looks like I will be starting in September. I guess to be eligible for the waivers you need to have graduated in the last 10 years so this was my last year to waive anyways.

My Ride
    Bicycle

No interview, no GMAT, No work experience requirements, and half the courseload, and half the cost and you come out with the same MBA as everyone else. My class is full of people taking this route.
    Wow, and here I thought MBA were diluted before. This slowly sounds like MCSEs of early 2000s in the tech world.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-19-2018 at 09:53 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by austic View Post
    So thanks to the accelerated program I managed to get my company support to send me for the evening MBA. So looks like I will be starting in September. I guess to be eligible for the waivers you need to have graduated in the last 10 years so this was my last year to waive anyways.
    Used to be that mba's were for people with lots of work experience and a clear path to executive positions. Sounds like this program is exactly the opposite since its limited to people with little work experience.

I know several unemployed MBA's, so I suspect the market is somewhat saturated with the qualification.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Ya, I'm not trying to shit on it or anything. Hell, I didn't even start putting MBA on my business card until a client of mine pointed out that I probably should. I still refuse to put it on my email signature.
    I haven't and have had my MBA for 10 years now.

It baffles me when someone puts: BSc or the like in their signature.

The MBA is the new bachelor degree. You need a PhD to stand out now. haha

My Ride
    ute

I wouldn't put PhD on my business card either

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Used to be that mba's were for people with lots of work experience and a clear path to executive positions. Sounds like this program is exactly the opposite since its limited to people with little work experience.

I know several unemployed MBA's, so I suspect the market is somewhat saturated with the qualification.
    There are a lot of young people (especially in banking) that get their MBAs at a young age. Generally a full-time MBA program is full of younger people who will stream to management consulting or to banking. These people are young enough that the opportunity cost of a couple of years off work is still worth it. They have also spent a year or two or more in a banking environment working their tails off, learning a ton, and probably have generated more "work experience" at 100 hrs/week than a lot of other undergrads (even engineers) who haven't had a lot of advancement by the time they are 23 or 24.

with respect to the people who have MBAs who are out of work - if you divide people with MBAs into "successful" and "unsuccessful", then I don't think you would find too many people that would consider themselves successful because of their MBAs. On the other hand, if you think success in life comes as simple as going and getting a piece of paper that basically anyone can get, then chances are you are you were going to be a potato anyway - these are the people who complain that their MBA "didn't get them anything". Having said that, if someone has a name-brand Canadian or US MBA on their resume (maybe 4-5 schools in Canada), then I take that a little more seriously.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think in a lot of ways these days MBA is the 21st-century education degree.

People who took something in undergrad that isn't really working out for them job wise and the MBA might allow them to monetize it. For example thousands of engineers who took engineering degrees that have no interest in doing engineering, and now that the job market has been squeezed they are left holding a bag of shit, typical Calgary engineering culture.

Plus there are a half dozen places in town where they make it a right of passage to be looked at for senior management for one reason or another ( lots of midstreamers or the big integrated companies in Calgary ) so there is a whole class of people who think they need to have it on their resume in order to advance in their careers..

Combine that with the fact that Haskayne lowers the education standards so much that you can't really fail and it is kind of a perfect storm. Most profs grudgingly admit they can't fail the EMBA's for example.

And even in my program people without a basic understanding of risk-return and time value of money manage to pass their finance classes due to the way the grades are structured with "participation" marks for showing up to class and all assignments being group based, aka there should be at least one person in a group who knows what they are doing.

I just try to make the best of it and learn as much from the program as I can, but I have plenty of classmates who openly admit its just about the letters to them. I don't think they realize how stupid that makes them look to their peers.
    Last edited by killramos; 02-19-2018 at 11:29 AM.

fact.

My Ride
    ute

Except an Ed degree qualifies you to be a teacher...lol

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    You need a PhD to stand out now. haha
    Nothing tells your employer quicker that you are detached from reality than flashing a PhD degree.

Of course, unless your job is in R&D, PhD is pointless.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post

In my case that is why my company is sending me, as I am taking over a VP role as part of our companies succession planning. I am 10 years post grad this year so it was really take it this year and get the exemptions or spend the extra to take the Queens EMBA in the next two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Nothing tells your employer quicker that you are detached from reality than flashing a PhD degree.

Of course, unless your job is in R&D, PhD is pointless.
    Not sure I agree with that. If I'm looking to hire a STEM PhD into a finance/quant role, I don't care that a lot of their previous work is mostly research or theory based. I'm looking to hire them because they are freaking smart and that they fundamentally think differently from the traditional BComm, MBA, CFA, CPA etc grad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2