Quantcast
Ford's new hot-rod SUV - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ford's new hot-rod SUV

Default Ford's new hot-rod SUV

Ford's new hot-rod SUV, link, - quote from this news story ""We shredded a lot of race tracks with this vehicle," Jonathan Crocker, the Edge's chief engineer, told reporters ahead of the reveal."

Maybe it's just me but has the definition of what it takes to shred a track changed because IMO one does not shred a track in a SUV no matter how much power it has - the shredding of tracks is done by sport cars, no? Unless of course the SUV was towing a plow or some similar farm implement, then I could understand some track shredding may have taken place.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Performance aside...fucking hideous.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hyperbole in advertising. I am shook.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

Not saying it's the case with this Ford, but it is possible for SUVs to be quick on a track. I'm pretty sure a couple years back on American Top Gear the X6M lapped the track in the same time as an M3. Take it with a grain of salt of course (because Top Gear), but if it's even close to M3 track times, I'd say that's proof SUVs can be quick on a track.

Back on topic - there's very few Fords I would actually consider, but it's a smart move for them to get into the performance SUV category. Now that I'm expecting a kid, I want more space/practicality but still enjoy driving fun vehicles. Given that my wife hates wagons, I'll be looking at performance hatchbacks/SUVs for my next car... and obviously I'm not the only one that thinks this way. There's obviously a market for these, looking at the Germans (GLC43, GLC63, GLE63, GLS63, G63, SQ5, X5M, X6M, Cayenne, Macan... have I missed any?), so it only makes sense that American companies will want to offer some more affordable options and try and break into that market.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Not saying it's the case with this Ford, but it is possible for SUVs to be quick on a track. I'm pretty sure a couple years back on American Top Gear the X6M lapped the track in the same time as an M3. Take it with a grain of salt of course (because Top Gear), but if it's even close to M3 track times, I'd say that's proof SUVs can be quick on a track.

Back on topic - there's very few Fords I would actually consider, but it's a smart move for them to get into the performance SUV category. Now that I'm expecting a kid, I want more space/practicality but still enjoy driving fun vehicles. Given that my wife hates wagons, I'll be looking at performance hatchbacks/SUVs for my next car... and obviously I'm not the only one that thinks this way. There's obviously a market for these, looking at the Germans (GLC43, GLC63, GLE63, GLS63, G63, SQ5, X5M, X6M, Cayenne, Macan... have I missed any?), so it only makes sense that American companies will want to offer some more affordable options and try and break into that market.
    Agree. The GLC43 is on my radar in the next year or two. Waiting for the straight six to drop.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    G37X

I don't get the hod rod SUV thing personally. But I suppose that is where the sporty coupe market has moved. It makes sense from a practicality standpoint and a 1 car
    only type deal.

My Ride
    Trucks

335 Hp should only include the words shred, race track, or high performance if it is referencing a 2200lb or less car or anything less than 4 wheels. I do think a supercharged V8 SUV has the potential to tear up a track. There are videos out there of SRT Jeeps lapping with actual ‘race’ cars and blowing their doors off. It’s quite comical.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah, this seems like more of an appearance and handling package.. doesn’t that motor make more power than that in f150 trim?

My Ride
    2012 300C SRT8 /2015 F150 Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowed_point View Post
    I don't get the hod rod SUV thing personally. But I suppose that is where the sporty coupe market has moved. It makes sense from a practicality standpoint and a 1 car
    only type deal.
    eh, I have a had a truck and other vehicle for years. Had the Srt Jeep for a year now and I really like the Hot rod Suv Segment as a second vehicle. If in a postion to get a 3rd vehicle I would definitely get a lower slung sportier car, but as of now I am happy to have an all weather backup 24/7 when needed.
    2014 Jeep SRT, 2015 F150 Platinum , 2013 Keystone Laredo 291TG

[Do][---+---][oD]

And speaking of SUV's, I heard on the news this week that Cadillac is the only luxury car maker in the world that currently sells less SUV's than it's non-SUV models.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by jonnycat View Post
    eh, I have a had a truck and other vehicle for years. Had the Srt Jeep for a year now and I really like the Hot rod Suv Segment as a second vehicle. If in a postion to get a 3rd vehicle I would definitely get a lower slung sportier car, but as of now I am happy to have an all weather backup 24/7 when needed.
    I think the SRT Jeep is the one I'd go for as well. At least it has 8 cylinders and sounds awesome.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

I think this is a good move for Ford. This thing competes with the Hyundai Sante Fe and Nissan Murano and is way more exciting than either of those. The Jeep SRT is impressive, but probably about $20K more expensive so not really in the same class. Assuming this sells in the $50-55K range it won't really have much competition.

The only thing I am not impressed with is I think the interior could have used more of an update. It is looking dated.

Damn...should have waited before buying my wife's CRV this year. Would be a blast with some bolt-ons and a tune. Had a 2011 F-150 with the Eco and bolt-ons/dyno tune, and it was nutty for a half ton. Not a huge fan of the design, but I like the idea of it.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I like the styling of the Ford Explorer a lot better.
    Give me a 400 HP TT Ford Explorer and I might actually buy one.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Fuck yeah. (and also some towing capacity, unlike the first gen Grand Cherokee SRT)

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Ford has the Explorer Sport which has the 3.5 ecoboost V6 with 365 hp (So more power then the Edge ST). And it can tow 6k I think.

I don't know, I think this is just an appearance pack / slight refresh on the current Edge Sport.

My Ride
    4x4 Abarth

The current Edge Sport is pretty good, I don't think I've driven an SUV with steering as direct/instant as that. You could probably put yourself through the driver side window if you crank it to the right hard enough haha so I have high hopes for the Edge ST. Something like 30hp/40ft-lb torque over the current Edge Sport, and Sport already handles pretty darn good. ST will probably be a tad lower with aggressive alignment / different struts and spring rates.

SUV's from factory are very formidable on the track these days. Track Hawk and Durango SRT deserve mentions in here too. A lot of European performance SUV's would wreck nearly every sports car of the past on the track.

An F1 race driver recently took a modded SUV to the track, embarrassed a lot of people, and had tons of fun.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

Ford bronco ST better become a thing..

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Quote Originally Posted by colsankey View Post
    Ford bronco ST better become a thing..
    Are they making a bronco now?

My Ride
    '19 GTI

its really not that bad when you consider comparing this to the idea of what GM did with the HHR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast