Quantcast
How to deal with rolled back odometer? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How to deal with rolled back odometer?

Default How to deal with rolled back odometer?

Hi guys,
    It's been a while since I posted here.

I come to you guys asking for some help and guidance with an issue I encountered after purchasing a truck.

On December 23 I bought a truck from some one. He has advertised with 228,000 kms on it. The bill of sale that we signed had a blank where the kms go. I didn't think too much of it.

Fast forward a couple of weeks where a friend had a carproof to burn so we ran it on my truck and discovered that the truck has had it's mileage roller back.

I confronted the previous owner and he said that he doesn't remember anything about that. Later he tells me that when he bought it from the auction, his bill of sale said 170,000 kms and "mileage unknown". The car proof shows that it had 350,000 just before it went to auction.

I asked him if we can reverse the sale and now he refused. His argument is that he didn't know that the mileage was rolled back.

I called AMVIC and they said that they don't deal with private sales.

I am now pursuing filing a report with the police.

Does anyone have any advice on what course of action I can follow to recover my money and give this guy his truck back? I have never experienced such a thing and I don't really know how to deal with this.

Thanks in advance.

My Ride
    G37X

It's super shitty but I'd be surprised if you could do anything without being able to prove he knew it was rolled back.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

You’d most likely have to prove that he either rolled it back himself or knowingly misrepresented it, neither of which you can really do. The Carproof isn’t really proof, especially since mileage reporting isn’t mandatory and can get typo’d atbthe registry.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Sorry but youre SOL. The police will tell you that its a civil matter as its a he said, she said situation without proof. Mileage reporting is suspect at best.

Its also frighteningly easy in many vehicles to modify the odo. I would be performing a mechanical inspection (including compression/leakdown) on a vehicle if its worth more than a few K.

are you absolutely sure it’s been rolled back? Pretty much impossible on newer cars.

Keep in mind carproof sometimes has screwups where mileage is entered as miles and carproof does a conversion to kms when the mileage was actually in kms. So it looks like it has been rolled back but it actually hasn’t

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    are you absolutely sure it’s been rolled back? Pretty much impossible on newer cars.

Keep in mind carproof sometimes has screwups where mileage is entered as miles and carproof does a conversion to kms when the mileage was actually in kms. So it looks like it has been rolled back but it actually hasn’t
    It isn't pretty much impossible. In fact, from what I have seen, it is very easy do do apparently thought the OBDII port with a specific piece of equipment.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBDPROG-MT4...-/152698048744
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    It isn't pretty much impossible. In fact, from what I have seen, it is very easy do do apparently thought the OBDII port with a specific piece of equipment.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBDPROG-MT4...-/152698048744
    I have never seen anyone successfully do it. Especially with just an off the shelf Ebay tool. For most cars it’s harder than people think. Dealer even requires specific software and in some cases physically replacing chips.

That aside think about it who is going to roll back an old truck from 350k to 228k to make an extra $400? No one....

350k kms is 219k miles. My guess is the mileage at the auction sale was 219k kms and was accidentally converted. Guy drove the truck for 9k and then sold it to OP. That to me is much more plausible. Ive dealt with this twice before where carproof made it look like the odometer had been rolledback but if you backed off 1.6x on several of the entries everything lined up perfectly
    Last edited by J-hop; 01-12-2018 at 06:25 AM.

My Ride
    Silverado

Jhop csi to the rescue.

I just thought to clarify the odometer timeline a bit better. In the car proof there are only 3 records that cover the mileage.

Jun 2008 200,000 KM
    Dec 2008 224,000KM
    Aug 2011 353,000 KM (At the auction "announced as accident repair")

2011 Previous owner told me, after pushing him for answers, that he remembers saying that the bill of sale had said (170,000 KM "Mileage Unknown"). I had the presence of mine to record the audio from our phone conversation (Not sure if it will help)

And when I bought the truck in December, it had 228,000 KM.

The truck is an 05 so it's not as new and it has been in Canada the entire time.

I called the auction, they said they do have records of everything they sell but they won't release it to me. But if the cops come knocking they will. If I can get my hands on that original bill of sale from the auction, I can prove that he knew that the odometer was rolled.

My Ride
    Blue boy

I have never seen anyone successfully do it. Especially with just an off the shelf Ebay tool. For most cars it’s harder than people think. Dealer even requires specific software and in some cases physically replacing chips.

That aside think about it who is going to roll back an old truck from 350k to 228k to make an extra $400? No one....

350k kms is 219k miles. My guess is the mileage at the auction sale was 219k kms and was accidentally converted. Guy drove the truck for 9k and then sold it to OP. That to me is much more plausible. Ive dealt with this twice before where carproof made it look like the odometer had been rolledback but if you backed off 1.6x on several of the entries everything lined up perfectly

If there's a will - there's a way. Last year I sold an '06 SUV with 250k to some shady curber, turned up on Kijiji a week later with ~120k. CPS wasn't interested in having anything to do with it

My Ride
    V8s

Maybe I'm missing something, but what's stopping someone from swapping out the cluster with one that has lower miles on it? Doesn't matter how hard it is to "roll it back" if you just put a different cluster in

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but what's stopping someone from swapping out the cluster with one that has lower miles on it? Doesn't matter how hard it is to "roll it back" if you just put a different cluster in
    Not that easy, most newer vehicles with digital odometers store the mileage in the ECM, BCM etc. So when you swap the cluster it'll just show the correct mileage. on 90's vehicle with manual odometers it is possible

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Anyone who buys a vehicle and does carproof later is a moron.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    You are correct. GM trucks and I'm sure others store mileage in the cluster so swapping out is a change in mileage and peopke charge stupid amounts to correct it.

I agree, it was pretty moronic of me to cheap out on a carproof.

And yes, this truck has the odometer "brain" on the cluster. I verified this with a dealership

Quote Originally Posted by soccernut View Post
    I agree, it was pretty moronic of me to cheap out on a carproof.

And yes, this truck has the odometer "brain" on the cluster. I verified this with a dealership
    How old is it? Many newer vehicles the clusters are ‘paired’ to the ECM so swapping the cluster doesn’t work until the new ones been paired to the ECM.

But again if you’re going to the trouble to do that you aren’t rolling it back from 350 to 228k that would be wasted effort.

How long did the previous owner have the truck?

How old is it? Many newer vehicles the clusters are ‘paired’ to the ECM so swapping the cluster doesn’t work until the new ones been paired to the ECM.

But again if you’re going to the trouble to do that you aren’t rolling it back from 350 to 228k that would be wasted effort.

How long did the previous owner have the truck?
    It's an 05.
    The odo was rolled back in 2011 from 350 and now is at 229. I am not sure what it was rolled back to. The previous owner said it had 170 when he bought it in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by soccernut View Post
    It's an 05.
    The odo was rolled back in 2011 from 350 and now is at 229. I am not sure what it was rolled back to. The previous owner said it had 170 when he bought it in 2011
    Does it have any previous records of odometer readings?

Sorry I’m being sceptical I’ve just dealt with this exact problem twice and it was on carproof’s end.

Not sure if you considered this but 350k in 6 years is almost 60,000k/year. Although possible if it’s a work truck it would most likely be leased back/sold after a couple years. Extremely unlikely someone would own a truck and put 60k/year for 6 years on. For comparison the guy you bought it off put 60k in 6 years.

Plus that would mean the truck now has over 400k on it. Unless it was taken extremely good care of you can tell a 400k truck from a 230k truck.

Everything is leading me to think the odometer reporting in carproof is wrong. 170x1.6x1.6=358k just a thought.

Does it have any previous records of odometer readings?

Sorry I’m being sceptical I’ve just dealt with this exact problem twice and it was on carproof’s end.

Not sure if you considered this but 350k in 6 years is almost 60,000k/year. Although possible if it’s a work truck it would most likely be leased back/sold after a couple years. Extremely unlikely someone would own a truck and put 60k/year for 6 years on. For comparison the guy you bought it off put 60k in 6 years.

Plus that would mean the truck now has over 400k on it. Unless it was taken extremely good care of you can tell a 400k truck from a 230k truck.

Everything is leading me to think the odometer reporting in carproof is wrong. 170x1.6x1.6=358k just a thought.
    It doesn't have any KM readings other than the 3 I have listed in the post above. I am not sure why the mileage would be misconstrued to be in miles on a Canadian truck that has never left Canada.

I do agree that the amount of kms put on the truck is ridiculously high to the point that it's not possible. (24,000 KM in 6 months?). I will get in touch with carproof and see what they have to say about it. I didn't question carproof since they have three records a few years apart all saying similar things.

So because you "personally" havent seen anyone roll back a newer vehicle you think its pretty much impossible? I would be willing to bet its as easy as getting a phone unlocked if have a guy who knows what hes doing lol
    If the guy rolled it back it wasnt purely for the money(120k is going to be worth more than $400 anyways), it was to help sell the vehicle. I would also bet you op wouldn't have thought twice if the truck was listed with over 300k kms.

I also agree that the mileage doesnt make sense

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast