Quantcast
How to deal with rolled back odometer? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to deal with rolled back odometer?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by soccernut View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's an 05.
    The odo was rolled back in 2011 from 350 and now is at 229. I am not sure what it was rolled back to. The previous owner said it had 170 when he bought it in 2011
    What type of truck GM/Chevy?

Mileage on new cars is very easy to change all done via OBD2. Especially in the vw / audi world. Couple clicks and someone can make it read what they want. Granted you need the tools to do so but a few thousand for some quality tools and you are good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    What type of truck GM/Chevy?
    Toyota

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    I have never seen anyone successfully do it. Especially with just an off the shelf Ebay tool. For most cars it’s harder than people think. Dealer even requires specific software and in some cases physically replacing chips.

That aside think about it who is going to roll back an old truck from 350k to 228k to make an extra $400? No one....

there, now you have seen it. lol
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Bicycle

What's end game OP? Isn't the difference in price would be around $2000 or less for 100k difference?

It doesn't have any KM readings other than the 3 I have listed in the post above. I am not sure why the mileage would be misconstrued to be in miles on a Canadian truck that has never left Canada.

I do agree that the amount of kms put on the truck is ridiculously high to the point that it's not possible. (24,000 KM in 6 months?). I will get in touch with carproof and see what they have to say about it. I didn't question carproof since they have three records a few years apart all saying similar things.
    Trust me happens all the time. Like I said I’ve dealt with this on two vehicles both had never left Alberta.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    So because you "personally" havent seen anyone roll back a newer vehicle you think its pretty much impossible? I would be willing to bet its as easy as getting a phone unlocked if have a guy who knows what hes doing lol
    If the guy rolled it back it wasnt purely for the money(120k is going to be worth more than $400 anyways), it was to help sell the vehicle. I would also bet you op wouldn't have thought twice if the truck was listed with over 300k kms.

I also agree that the mileage doesnt make sense
    No meaning, joe blow off the street doesn’t have the equipment, and they certainly aren’t buying it to roll back some old truck.

That aside did people actually look at the mileage and think about it? I’m calling BS on the carproof reported mileage.

Guys I called carproof and they backed up the numbers. I called the Toyota dealer and it was brought it for service before it went to auction and the kms correlate with the car proof.

I think this leaves no doubt about the roll back on the odometer.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

I don't know what you gained by figuring out that it was rolled back after the fact. If you did an inspection of the car before the purchase, and found it to be in acceptable condition for the price/mileage, you should be happy that the truck has 'worn' well. If you didn't get an inspection and just gave it the once over in the driveway, then you deserved to get bent over. Live and learn; I honestly don't see why you wouldn't get a CarProof when buying used, it's so quick and easy. Also, there's no way the seller is going to refund the deal, and there's no way you win any sort of small claims court battle either. You need to chalk this up to a 'cheap' lesson since you presumably got a truck you wanted in a condition/price you deemed acceptable.

I agree that I made a mistake in not covering my bases ahead of the buy. But I believe that he should have disclosed the mileage issues to me as that would make the contract we signed ( bill of sale) illegal.
    I have spoken to the police about it and they backed me up on that. I just have to prove that he knew about it.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

On bill of sale, does it say AS IS?
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    On bill of sale, does it say AS IS?

Yes but
    https://www.servicealberta.ca/odometer-fraud.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    No meaning, joe blow off the street doesn’t have the equipment, and they certainly aren’t buying it to roll back some old truck.
    LOL i know its hard to admit you're wrong but cmon man. Sounds like joe blow off the street either has the equipment or more than likely took it to one of the many people that offer this service since op has verified the kms are right. Like i said new or old, rolling back the kms is totally worth it for the shit heads that want to scam.
    Soccernut, would you have bought this truck for $500 less than what you paid if the kms were 325k instead of the 225k kms?

Just typed in odometer correction on kijiji and theres a whole list of guys that can do it(im sure they only do it for legit reasons lol) and the first guy can do cars as new as 2017
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-auto-repair-...ationFlag=true
    Last edited by Rocket1k78; 01-13-2018 at 04:47 PM.

My Ride
    Ford F150

I do agree that the amount of kms put on the truck is ridiculously high to the point that it's not possible. (24,000 KM in 6 months?).

Not only possible, but VERY common on trucks in Alberta. Oil boys do a lot of driving
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

@Rocket I would not have bought the truck at all. The truck had 352k in 2011. God knows what the mileage is now.

My Ride
    bus

Your only solution is to stop driving it and take him to small claims, that process can take months so plan accordingly.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

So Registry agent just free hand inputs whatever the owner at the time spitballs as their mileage during yearly vehicle registration renewal?

Yeah, I can see typos/inaccurate quotes occurring often if that's the case.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    KTM

There is a guy who advertises on Kijiji for mileage correction hahaha

Always wondered if this was a CPS bait add, sounds like they don't really care though.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by craigcd View Post
    There is a guy who advertises on Kijiji for mileage correction hahaha

Always wondered if this was a CPS bait add, sounds like they don't really care though.
    They don't really care, I bought a car years ago that turned out to be rolled back...They told me to take the seller to small claims court lol

Last year, I sold a suv to a guy and he re-listed it a week later with half the mileage. Filed a statement with CPS, "If I happen to be in his area, I will swing by and have a chat with him". Nothing ever came out of it

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by redblack View Post
    Your only solution is to stop driving it and take him to small claims, that process can take months so plan accordingly.
    This is pretty much it. No third party will be interested in getting involved, so it comes down to a civil matter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast