Quantcast
Let's Have a Thread About Oil - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Have a Thread About Oil

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default Let's Have a Thread About Oil

Well, not really about oil, but the future of oil.

I was thinking about where I see myself in 30 years (retired). But retirement is intrinsically tied to your location in a lot of cases. Your job/your talent set, your home, your family, etc all can keep you in one place for various reasons. Some people are smart and diversify not only their investments, but also how liquid their assets/savings are so they can relocate. Being invested in 10 properties is great until you move across the country as an example.

So in Alberta, where do you see us in 30 years? Will oil still allow the province to be prosperous? While many are hurting, wages are still quite high for those that have jobs right now. Will they stagnate for the next decade? How about the oil industry itself, will it be dead by 2050? Or like the coal industry is now, or the forestry industry 15 years ago?

You think of places like Detroit and Chicago, going from being the economic engines of the USA to places where literal blocks upon blocks of the city are being torn up and demolished because everyone has left. Can this happen to Calgary and Edmonton?

I figured this was a finance thread as the PRICE of oil will be the largely determinant factor in all of this, combined with how it affects our own personal finances.

My Ride
    NC1

DT Calgary has developed nicely and it would suck for it to turn into a ghost town. I do wonder who is gonna move into all those condo builds tho lol

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

I have a sneaky suspicion that oil, over the next 50-200 years will go up and down depending on which political party is in. Some years we will have booms where people want to live here and other times it will be how can we get out of this damn province.
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    DT Calgary has developed nicely and it would suck for it to turn into a ghost town. I do wonder who is gonna move into all those condo builds tho lol
    http://calgarysun.com/life/homes/new...his-year-santa

With a vacancy rate in the towers in the core at 25 percent, there has been talk about reducing that rate by turning some of the buildings into condo towers, so Santa, perhaps you could drop a note into the Christmas stockings of everyone at CED, asking them to think long and hard about this idea.

At the end of November, there were 1,159 newly built condo apartments sitting empty and unsold in the city, which is a very high number.

Add to that the 6,291 condo apartments under construction in Calgary, including 2,378 in the downtown core and Beltline, and it’s clear we don’t need more condo apartments, particularly downtown.
    As of December, WOW. Did not realize it was that bad. How have prices not tumbled??

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Oil will still be around. I don't buy the scare stories. I remember being in high school in the early 90's and they said would should be running out of oil 2020.
    The price will bump around depending on wars and political parties.

Planes will still need to fly, green peach activists will still use day to day products/vehicles that contain derivatives made from oil (e.g plastics, paint etc). Though I think the economy will be more diversified.

My Ride
    2008 Z06

I plan to stay in the O&G industry as long as possible and as long as I have a good work-life balance. Real estate or some self employment jobs are the only others I can think of that offer similar compensation. I agree that oil will always go up and down.
    Still, I save a lot, always max my RSPs, distribute investments among real estate and shares. I consider that I'll get laid off any time which helps slow down my spending.
    Current Cars:
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Stage 2, 12.44 at 110mph
    1972 Chevy Super Cheyenne C10 Pickup 402 big block, 700R4
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile, moneypit
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST | Cobb Stage 1, catless downpipe
    2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
    2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108mph
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

Quote Originally Posted by KPHMPH View Post
    will go up and down depending on which political party is in.
    This. Waiting for new govt's across the board.
    Right now Canada is getting left in the cold when you see the price differentials between WTI and WCS. People quote $60/bbl. But definitely not in Canada.

My Ride
    08 GSR

I can't see oil going away in my life time. Prices will probably go up and down.

What I would like to see are more companies doing things like this http://www.acceleware.com/press-rele...-to-Test-RF-XL I think this is the proper way to give incentives for "cleaner" energy instead of the carbon tax.

My Ride
    Bicycle

When human are done using coal (if ever) we will probably have used it for 300 years.

I see oil will have the same shelf life, oil is barely 160 years old.

But going forward, oil will be as enticing economically as coal right now.

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Oil will be a low cost and low prestige commodity after one more bull run. Next price spike will be very short lived.

Oil is still basically TINA. As a result it is highly inelastic in terms of demand.

Once the storage surplus is back to normal historical levels oil will spike. And thusly we go.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    http://calgarysun.com/life/homes/new...his-year-santa

As of December, WOW. Did not realize it was that bad. How have prices not tumbled??
    Used condo prices have dropped but some of these new builds are selling like hot cakes!

A gf of mine bought a 650sq.ft unit in the Royal for $450K! LOL

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    A gf of mine bought a 650sq.ft unit in the Royal for $450K! LOL
    Can't get over that Royal used Janice Beaton as attraction clip art and she had totally left the area after the stunt she pulled. Hipster moved in will be sad there is no great cheese shop in area.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

they're planning on redeveloping the back side of the block that faces 17th, or they WERE when I was looking at the plans back in the day. Isn't it supposed to have a massive Loblaw also? The flagship loblaws in Toronto have incredible deli/cheese/meat shops built right in.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by adamc View Post
    they're planning on redeveloping the back side of the block that faces 17th, or they WERE when I was looking at the plans back in the day. Isn't it supposed to have a massive Loblaw also? The flagship loblaws in Toronto have incredible deli/cheese/meat shops built right in.
    I thought that Loblaws is in East Village, not in Mount Royal.

My Ride
    wrx wagon

Fact 1: Oil will continue to be an in-demand product for the next 30 years (and probably much longer)
    Fact 2: Alberta has one of the largest oil reserves in the world

Based on these two facts, there is incredible potential for Alberta to continue to prosper economically from this resource. However, just because there is demand for a product, and a certain region has supply of that product, it doesn't necessarily mean that region will automatically be able to capitalize on the opportunity. A good example is the Democratic Republic of Congo - this country sits on some of the vastest natural resources in the world, yet they are poor as shit. This is because they have an extremely corrupt and incompetent government that is unable to capitalize on that opportunity.

Getting back to Alberta, the real question is therefore, do we have a government that will allow us to capitalize on our opportunity? Currently the answer is no, and if the existing provincial/federal regimes were allowed to continue governing in perpetuity (as corrupt African governments do), my outlook would be extremely pessimistic. However I believe that in a democratic society governments, like most things, are cyclical, and while the government situation is poor right now, I think at some point in the future (hopefully in 2019 when we have both a provincial and federal election) the situation will improve, and thus oil wealth will return. Over the next 30 years there will probably be several peaks/valleys as good/bad governments come and go, but as long as Fact 1 & Fact 2 hold true (which they will for at least the next 30 yrs) then the potential remains, and barring an absolute worst-case scenario on the government front, I don't see Alberta stagnating/dying/becoming a ghost town etc. Actually, I think things are pretty much as bad as they could be (ie worst possible government -> we've hit our economic floor) and yet most people are still doing all right. Things should hopefully only get better from here on (starting in 2019 once Notley and Trudeau get the boot).
    Last edited by a social dsease; 01-15-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    [/url]

They have! My condo assessment was $30,000 less than last year or a 10% drop.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

We used to worry about peak oil production, and now we worry about peak oil demand. Myself, I think peak oil demand is at least 10 years in the future. Really from an Alberta perspective, what we are struggling with instead is peak oil employment.

Western Canada used to sustain a fleet of 800 drilling rigs, now it's down to 623 and still falling. I could absolutely see us getting to a fleet of 450 rigs within 5 years.
    Oil and gas used to employ around 250,000 people in Canada, and based on the recent PetroLMI publication it's down to about 165,000. It's possible that will go back up somewhat, but my money is on it staying pretty stable around there.

In an environment where employment is flat or falling, it makes sense that wage growth would be flat, and the foolishly high salaries and bonuses we saw in the past would not be required.

Anyone still employed, I think there's no reason to run out and quit the business, it's probably sustainable for quite some time. Anyone looking to break into it, I'd encourage you to keep your eyes open to other industries.

Some interesting reading on the topic available from PetroLMI - http://www.careersinoilandgas.com/en/publications
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    G37X

As long as people keep buying V8 GM/Subaru boxer engines, oil consumption will continue to be a thing.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by a social dsease View Post
    Fact 1: Oil will continue to be an in-demand product for the next 30 years (and probably much longer)
    Fact 2: Alberta has one of the largest oil reserves in the world

Based on these two facts, there is incredible potential for Alberta to continue to prosper economically from this resource. However, just because there is demand for a product, and a certain region has supply of that product, it doesn't necessarily mean that region will automatically be able to capitalize on the opportunity. A good example is the Democratic Republic of Congo - this country sits on some of the vastest natural resources in the world, yet they are poor as shit. This is because they have an extremely corrupt and incompetent government that is unable to capitalize on that opportunity.

Getting back to Alberta, the real question is therefore, do we have a government that will allow us to capitalize on our opportunity? Currently the answer is no, and if the existing provincial/federal regimes were allowed to continue governing in perpetuity (as corrupt African governments do), my outlook would be extremely pessimistic. However I believe that in a democratic society governments, like most things, are cyclical, and while the government situation is poor right now, I think at some point in the future (hopefully in 2019 when we have both a provincial and federal election) the situation will improve, and thus oil wealth will return. Over the next 30 years there will probably be several peaks/valleys as good/bad governments come and go, but as long as Fact 1 & Fact 2 hold true (which they will for at least the next 30 yrs) then the potential remains, and barring an absolute worst-case scenario on the government front, I don't see Alberta stagnating/dying/becoming a ghost town etc. Actually, I think things are pretty much as bad as they could be (ie worst possible government -> we've hit our economic floor) and yet most people are still doing all right. Things should hopefully only get better from here on (starting in 2019 once Notley and Trudeau get the boot).
    It's not about we don't need oil. It's about supply and demand trend and ROI that will attract capitals to keep to world's interest in investing in the sector.

Right now the mentality of this town is, we won't invest unless we have to and have to get it out of the ground for $25/bbl or less, regardless where the price is at.

And it's not Alberta government's fault when we can't get pipelines out to tide waters. This is what we need because US is no longer our customer but competitor. We have predicted this even back in 2011-2014 run that if our only customer is US, we will be screwed by 2020. 2019 election won't change anything even if Conservatives retake both governments other than giving a few $ of tax break to the rich and may be cut some costs. They won't magically increase revenue.

We will NEVER be as competitive as US and US now has more oil than us via fracking. Unless fracking is banned in US (I doubt), even if we have more reserve (and most of our reserve isn't accessible anyway), we couldn't compete regardless which government is in play.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast