Quantcast
Toyota Tacoma Mega Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Tacoma Mega Thread

My Ride
    Tacoma and a motorized toboggan

Default Toyota Tacoma Mega Thread

I'm looking at swapping my CX3 out for a Tacoma as I am starting to really miss the convenience of a truck. I went and checked it out at a dealer and have talked to a few people that have mentioned Toyota rarely deals on the Tacoma is it worth paying the premium for the Tacoma when you can get a half ton for the same price? as well can anyone with a Tacoma give me there opinion on the truck and if they were able to get any discounts.

My Ride
    KTM

Look at the resale compared to other small trucks. In my opinion nothing compares to a Tacoma (Toyota)

I had a 2014 Tacoma and the size of the truck drove me nuts and went back to a Tundra. If you have a need for a full sized truck I would go straight to a Tundra as the fuel savings are minimal.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You pay more per pound for the Toyota, and you can get more capabilities in a half ton, but taco owners really love those trucks.

Very hard to compare against anything else. But if you like the small size, check out the Canyon. Seems to be a nice little package.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Quote Originally Posted by craigcd View Post
    Look at the resale compared to other small trucks. In my opinion nothing compares to a Tacoma (Toyota)

I had a 2014 Tacoma and the size of the truck drove me nuts and went back to a Tundra. If you have a need for a full sized truck I would go straight to a Tundra as the fuel savings are minimal.
    my truck is much better on fuel than the tacoma... and its a half ton.

my opinion, other than resale, the tacoma is better at nothing compared to the big 3 half tons.

My Ride
    KTM

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post

my opinion, other than resale, the tacoma is better at nothing compared to the big 3 half tons.
    I am not disagreeing with you. Aside from the fact that I still wouldnt buy a "big 3" but thats personal preference.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Its also good to note that the taco is really cramped inside, not just shortcomings capability wise but in terms of comfort as well. Plus, I find every toyota I've been in feels "cheaper" inside, just in terms of materials and such. Nissan as well.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

It depends what you want it for, basically. If you have a family of 5, then you should look at a halfton. The tacoma crew cab is large enough for most, but it is a bit cramped for 4/5 adults if you have a tall driver with the seat back. If you want a city-capable fun truck and dont care about max payload, then get the tacoma. Is it expensive? Yes, but it keeps its value longer on the market and they are usually bulletproof with very little issues and they last forever. It's also a strong performer off-road with great clearance.

Id say the quality control is much better on the taco than my friend's f150s that seem to constantly get recalls and issues. But to say its the same price as a half ton is ignoring the fact that you can get a fully loaded tacoma for tens of thousands less than a fully loaded f150 Lariat/Platinum/KRanch.

The MPG is similar, with the 2018 Tacoma 4x4 at 17mpg city/20 hwy. F150 with 5L is 14 city/19 hwy (ecoboost is a bit more). But it is a bigger truck.

Id say this website does a pretty good job explaining the difference:

http://www.tfltruck.com/2016/10/42487/
    Tacoma

Pros:
    -Turning Radius
    -Parking in the city/urban environment
    -Probably an appropriate size vehicle for my needs
    -Anticipated reliability
    -Fun to drive

Cons:
    -Reported transmission issues (including low fluid from the factory and gear hunting) (2016)
    -Reported leaf spring squeaks
    -Reported hood shake issues
    -Gas Mileage is not very good when compared to larger trucks
    -Drum Brakes
    -Cramped back passenger area
    -Seat position and Manual adjustment
    -Unknown gas grade (premium or mid grade – Note Colorado the grades are typically 85, 87 and 91)
    -After market leather on TRD Sport (+$1,000)

F-150

Pros:
    -More truck than I will likely need
    -Familiar with how they handle (I have one as part of the work fleet)
    -EcoBoost is a beast of an engine
    -Promising Gas Mileage
    -Seat position & electronic adjustment
    -Interior comfort for driver and passengers
    -Mid Grade Gas
    -Disc Brakes
    -Leather option on interior

Cons:
    -Parking and Turning Radius
    -Size
    -Reliability questions on EcoBoost
    -Unfamiliar with Turbo engines and maintenance requirements
    -Ford Infotainment is clunky and cumbersome compared to other systems
    -Aluminum body may be costly if repairs are needed

My Ride
    Tacoma and a motorized toboggan

Thanks for the replies guys. before I bought my cx3 I had a 13 F-150 but I sold it as it was a little larger than I needed thus the compromise of going for the Tacoma. I'm hoping to find a leftover 17 TRD sport with a manual transmission as I feel they will be more likely to deal on old stock. I was hoping somebody might know of or have a contact that might be willing to deal a little on a Tacoma.

as well Otown I think that comparison touches on what I was thinking.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Quote Originally Posted by craigcd View Post
    I am not disagreeing with you. Aside from the fact that I still wouldnt buy a "big 3" but thats personal preference.
    Thats fair. to each their own. I just find the options for smaller trucks don't make sense. the price of a tacoma i can get a fairly loaded lariat F150.

Also fuel economy numbers don't make sense. i routinely get 20+ mpg in my 5.0.

Thats fair. to each their own. I just find the options for smaller trucks don't make sense. the price of a tacoma i can get a fairly loaded lariat F150.

Also fuel economy numbers don't make sense. i routinely get 20+ mpg in my 5.0.
    thats why I think the mid-sized market died for a while there...

but that said, a Full sized is quite big these days, and the mid-size is like the size of a full size from a decade back.

a 03' F150 crew cab 4x4 was a 120" wheel base in comparison to a 145 let alone a 156 & was less wide.

Tacoma with the 4.5 foot IMO is useless as a truck BUT is great as a utility vehicle... Even stock, or slight level and tires, its an incredibly capable and dependable vehicle to take gear into the brush.

Whether hunting, backcountry skiing, biking, camping, etc... IMO this is the vehicle you trust, the same way you trust its big brother the landcruiser in the outback or middle east.

My friend had a 4.0L 5 speed that has over 370k on the odo, and it has had nothing but consumables and suspension components replaced, which was aftermarket anyhow.

Would I tow with it? Would I use it as a work truck? nope... maybe as a painter, just enough payload, but anything else its pretty much useless.

Would I take one over a Heep... Anyday
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 01-14-2018 at 11:28 PM.

My Ride
    2016 Tacoma TRD, 87 944 turbo, 06 DL1000

I've put 55,000+ Km's on my 2016 Tacoma. Love the truck. Taken on several trips to the states and lots of camping. Lots of aftermarket support and I have yet to do more then the standard services. I work 1-2 times a week down in crowsnest pass and have done the trip about 40+ times and it's a comfortable ride summer and winter. Just added the remote start from 12V solutions so now it can warm up for me in the winter. The 2017's have a few options I'd like to have like the power rear window but I wouldn't hesitate to buy the truck again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vdubbin View Post
    I've put 55,000+ Km's on my 2016 Tacoma. Love the truck. Taken on several trips to the states and lots of camping. Lots of aftermarket support and I have yet to do more then the standard services. I work 1-2 times a week down in crowsnest pass and have done the trip about 40+ times and it's a comfortable ride summer and winter. Just added the remote start from 12V solutions so now it can warm up for me in the winter. The 2017's have a few options I'd like to have like the power rear window but I wouldn't hesitate to buy the truck again.
    I wish it had more power and a bit more utility, which I reckon is why people are hesitant to spend full size dollars on it. that said, I think thats part of its longevity.

taco axels were always one of the strongest in the game, super strong carriers and low profile is why YJ/TJers swapped them in the day.

I think with the 3.5 the drivetrain remains underburdaned and will be almost always reliable.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

It's better at parking in a tight garage, where those extra few inches matter.

My Ride
    KTM

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post

Tacoma with the 4.5 foot IMO is useless as a truck BUT is great as a utility vehicle... Even stock, or slight level and tires, its an incredibly capable and dependable vehicle to take gear into the brush.
    Thats what I had, might have a better opinion if I had the longer box. I still found the interior cramped and the gas mileage is comparable to a full size.

If the truck was just for me, hauling one dirt bike, no kids in tow, I would likely own one. I actually went to a "old style" Tundra that had one owner and no KM's that super mint so I have a "bigger" truck but still have the V8 and a larger interior.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

I'm into year 4 with my 2014 taco, longbox doublecab... It's definitely the truck for me and what we do. From camping, fishing, iceclimbing, i don't think there is a more capable truck without any modifications out there (with proper tires, and other then the shortbox version). Canopy on the back makes it pretty much the ultimate vehicle for us. Slept in the back ~20+ times from camping to fishing, and it's great. Comfier then a tent other then condensation issues. I'm almost 100k into it, and have had virtually zero hiccups. Compare this to my offices 2016 F150s, where they have all gone in for recalls and multiple issues.

The full size trucks are fancy pants on the inside, but i'd ask how many people actually use their truck to do 'truck' things. The only spot I haven't use the taco for is for hauling dirt or gravel cause of the canopy.

Re: pricing. Hammer out the numbers. I was never a 'buy new' guy, but if you're really wanting a tacoma, you'll be hard pressed to find a used one for much cheaper then new when you factor in the financing (assuming you're financing it..maybe a bad assumption on Beyond). It didn't make sense for me to take a year old, and come out with the same car payment when i could get 1.9% on new. I used Phil Dao @ Heninger and was happy, but think he's moved to charlesglen?

Name:  taco.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  54.3 KB
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 01-15-2018 at 09:13 AM.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Quote Originally Posted by 13TTFX4 View Post
    I'm looking at swapping my CX3 out for a Tacoma as I am starting to really miss the convenience of a truck. I went and checked it out at a dealer and have talked to a few people that have mentioned Toyota rarely deals on the Tacoma is it worth paying the premium for the Tacoma when you can get a half ton for the same price? as well can anyone with a Tacoma give me there opinion on the truck and if they were able to get any discounts.
    When I compared the Tacoma Off Road to Tundra Off Road (2017s), the price difference was around $10,000. There is a dealership in Calgary that will deal on the price. PM me if you are interested and I will give you contact info. I see you're in Edmonton.

I like driving it more than the Tundra as it's way easier around town and in parking lots. It's much more fuel efficient as well. I would suggest trying both Off Road and Sport trims as there is a bit of difference in how they drive. Sport trim will be much more firm in daily driving. My 2 dislikes are the lack of seat adjustment and engine/transmission programing. The engine has good power but has to be revved. Transmission shifts a lot, I assume for Fuel Economy's sake.

The trims in Canada are kind of weird so the bed size depends on what trim you want and what transmission. They are either 5 or 6 foot beds. As pointed out already they have amazing resale. After 4 years they retain about 82% of their value which is best in Canada along with Jeep Wrangler. So buying new makes more sense in my opinion.

The new Ranger will be interesting as well. 2.3 Ecoboost and 10 speed. But that's about a year away.

my wife and i are highly considering getting one. we looked at a 2018 limited, and as quoted just under 51k all-in. not sure if that's a great deal, but they seem to not really budge on pricing.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by nj2Type-S View Post
    my wife and i are highly considering getting one. we looked at a 2018 limited, and as quoted just under 51k all-in. not sure if that's a great deal, but they seem to not really budge on pricing.
    Jesus... I know it's apples to oranges, but my semi-loaded Pro4x frontier was 34K all-in this past fall. I didn't consider a full size because I like a smaller vehicle, but for 51k I'd be looking past a mid size truck

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Depends on the dealer. I'd shop around a bit... Also, are the limited's only in shortbox's now? As much as i'd love a shortbox, the longbox has earned it's dues camping, traveling, sleeping, etc

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

What dealer are you working with?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast