Quantcast
Rental Cars + windshield damage/coverage - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Rental Cars + windshield damage/coverage

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Default Rental Cars + windshield damage/coverage

Hypothetical situation.

- My parked car gets hit and I need a rental.
    - I get a rental and add the $10/day glass coverage.
    - My personal insurance does not have glass coverage as I deal with having a chipped/cracked windshield on my personal car.
    - My personal insurance does not have any rental car coverage (which is odd but that's another story) so their insurance has to cover all the rental costs (which it should, as they hit my parked car).
    - Driver that hit my parked car's insurance company wont pay for any daily damage waiver costs ($14.99/day) or windshield coverage ($9.99/day).
    - Other persons insurance company said I'm on the hook for windshield damage on the rental as if its my personal car (except when I return the rental the windshield has to be mint).
    - Road are covered in gravel, what are the odds that I can last a month+ without any windshield damage on this POS rental?

So am I on the hook for the $10/day glass coverage? How the fuck does that seem like how this process should play out. My insurance company told me to deal with the other insurance company who's only response is that "they do not pay for or include any coverage for anything over and above my existing personal policy coverage".

I've asked my insurance company to figure it out... they've gone silent.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you but I have basically the same question, but for winter tires. Car gets hit and has winter tires, will they add winter tires to your rental? Or do they expect you to drive around in this weather with useless rock-hard all seasons?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The risk of damage to the car is your problem, just as it is with your own personal vehicle. Doesn't seem crazy to me. Although check if your credit card has rental car damage coverage?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Sorry I don't have an answer for you but I have basically the same question, but for winter tires. Car gets hit and has winter tires, will they add winter tires to your rental? Or do they expect you to drive around in this weather with useless rock-hard all seasons?
    Enterprise has "no vehicles with winter tires". POS rental has M&S tires and is all over the road.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    The risk of damage to the car is your problem, just as it is with your own personal vehicle. Doesn't seem crazy to me. Although check if your credit card has rental car damage coverage?
    Credit car rental coverage is only relevant if you are paying for the rental. I'm not paying for the rental, other insurance company is.

And I totally get damage is my problem but I can continue driving my personal vehicle with a small chip on the windshield, the rental needs to be returned mint or else I pay for a new windshield.

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Rental cars just come with the OEM AS tires, but they will gladly charge you 10$ a day and tell you that the car has winters.. The only place in canada where I have saw winter tires on a rental was Quebec where they are mandatory.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    Rental cars just come with the OEM AS tires, but they will gladly charge you 10$ a day and tell you that the car has winters.. The only place in canada where I have saw winter tires on a rental was Quebec where they are mandatory.
    Vehicles with legit snow tires are availible for an extra fee from at least one major rental company in Calgary. Source: I work at a major rental company in Calgary and watched them swap the tires on approx 150 vehicles this fall. Now that's less than 20% of the fleet, but it real.

A few of the trucks and larger SUV's come with snowflake tires from the factory too. Now it's debatable if you feel like those are "legit" winter tires, and you may or may not pay more for those.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    - Road are covered in gravel, what are the odds that I can last a month+ without any windshield damage on this POS rental?
    Good lord, how many windshields do you go through? I think I've had maybe 5 chips in 25 years of driving in Calgary, my current windshield is still the original with one repaired chip after 10 years. I wouldn't think twice about skipping the glass coverage.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    Good lord, how many windshields do you go through? I think I've had maybe 5 chips in 25 years of driving in Calgary, my current windshield is still the original with one repaired chip after 10 years. I wouldn't think twice about skipping the glass coverage.
    In the past 10 years I've gone maybe 1 winter without any major windshield chips (ie: chips bigger then a dime or a chip that ended up cracking). You might not get any if you avoid Deerfoot and any highway. If you frequent Deerfoot you sir are on borrowed time.

My Ride
    is Invisible

Last April, Enterprise tried to use this scare tactic on me, "Sir, if you dont get the windshield coverage and it comes back with a chip/crack, it will be $750 to replace the windshield on this Mercedes."

Dropped it off 3.5 weeks later without any damage.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

If you stay off Deerfoot it's possible to avoid cracks for a long time but if driven daily in the winter there's no way you can avoid slow erosion due to all the sand and little rocks spread all over Calgary roads.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I put just about no faith in the "snowflake symbol" and i don't even know why people talk about it anymore. Pretty well means anything better in the snow than High Perf summers.

I have these on my mustang and they even have the snowflake. Completely useless in all conditions.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

I put just about no faith in the "snowflake symbol" and i don't even know why people talk about it anymore. Pretty well means anything better in the snow than High Perf summers.

I have these on my mustang and they even have the snowflake. Completely useless in all conditions.
    Can confirm. Rental has snowflake tires (which the rental company even highlighted for me, lol) and they are garbage.

My Ride
    13' IS 250AWD 09' MDX

Just decline the windshield insurance

if you get a chip or it breaks get the windshield fixed or replaced. Aren't rock chip repairs like $15 each? some places sell windshields for $200.

Your cost would be $300 for the month if you took the insurance

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by E90_330xi View Post

if you get a chip or it breaks get the windshield fixed or replaced. Aren't rock chip repairs like $15 each? some places sell windshields for $200.

100% this. Just say no to any extra shit rental companies try to toss on you.

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Vehicles with legit snow tires are availible for an extra fee from at least one major rental company in Calgary. Source: I work at a major rental company in Calgary and watched them swap the tires on approx 150 vehicles this fall. Now that's less than 20% of the fleet, but it real.

A few of the trucks and larger SUV's come with snowflake tires from the factory too. Now it's debatable if you feel like those are "legit" winter tires, and you may or may not pay more for those.
    Good to know!

Chips happen, got a new one last week on highway 8 out by Westsprings.
    Will fuck off, again.

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Hypothetical situation.

- My parked car gets hit and I need a rental.
    - I get a rental and add the $10/day glass coverage.
    - My personal insurance does not have glass coverage as I deal with having a chipped/cracked windshield on my personal car.
    - My personal insurance does not have any rental car coverage (which is odd but that's another story) so their insurance has to cover all the rental costs (which it should, as they hit my parked car).
    - Driver that hit my parked car's insurance company wont pay for any daily damage waiver costs ($14.99/day) or windshield coverage ($9.99/day).
    - Other persons insurance company said I'm on the hook for windshield damage on the rental as if its my personal car (except when I return the rental the windshield has to be mint).

So am I on the hook for the $10/day glass coverage? How the fuck does that seem like how this process should play out. My insurance company told me to deal with the other insurance company who's only response is that "they do not pay for or include any coverage for anything over and above my existing personal policy coverage".

I've asked my insurance company to figure it out... they've gone silent.
    Don’t get windshield coverage until you see the vehicle. I rented one over Christmas and declined all insurance and winter tires. When I got to the car it had 4-5 chips in the windshield already with tons of visible minor damage from sand/gravel. These scammers try to sell insurance on damaged windows?

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

one time i got a rock chip in a rental, i called (i think it ws national or enterprise) to find otu what to do, they're like, "dont worry you can pay for the windshield when you return the vehicle" so i went to a shop and got the chip filled for $10 and they never noticed.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Silverado

Not much help. But if you do pay for the coverage you will likely be out near the cost of a windshield on an economy car in 1 month.

If you do damage it, replace it at speedy glass yourself a couple days before you bring it back to avoid them charging you 200%

My Ride
    KTM

Quote Originally Posted by E90_330xi View Post

Agreed. Had a rental a couple weeks back and they were pushing me hard for windshield coverage. Figured I would rather gamble the $200 replacement or $15 repair than pay the daily rate. The wouldnt even notice when returned. They told me rock chips anywhere that windshield wipers sweep must be replaced not repaired. I was able to point out a repaired chip in that area haha..... her reply was "usually"