Quantcast
First time Euro-trip, need suggestions, tips, etc. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First time Euro-trip, need suggestions, tips, etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Definitely lots to research now that I have an idea.

For packing light, I think I'm just gonna go with a traveler's backpack and bring a smaller day pack for day trips.

Coincidentally, I'm actually the only single one in the group but the couples are all doing their own thing for the first few days into Europe, which is why I have the 29th to the 1st to myself. We'll see where I end up I guess.

If it's hot, I'm always in shorts, so how much of a concern is safety of belongings if I'm also Asian? haha.

I didn't realize trips to Greece were that much? Even from Croatia? I think the plan is to just hit the islands and not spend any time in Athens (or wherever our port of entry is) and fly out. Dubrovnik is for sure a destination though, is there a recommended "best way to travel" for such a large group? Bus or rent a car (or big ass van lol).

It's probably a little early to be worrying about smaller details, but for the electronics I plan on bringing, are there any issues with adapters or whatever for charging phones, etc. I plan on bringing a cellphone, battery pack, headphones, and GoPro. Speaking of cellphones, I'm assuming there are kiosks in the airport to pick up a sim card for all of Europe? With unlimited data packages, how much do they normally run?

In terms of security for all my stuff, I've read about money belts. They seem dorky but how much of a concern are pickpockets? I don't plan on carrying that much cash around with me, especially if I get approved for the Home Trust Visa with 0% FX. I also plan on getting mini lock and cable to loop through all the zippers pockets on a backpack I have yet to get haha.

My Ride
    TL

Quote Originally Posted by jltabot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Definitely lots to research now that I have an idea.

For packing light, I think I'm just gonna go with a traveler's backpack and bring a smaller day pack for day trips.

Coincidentally, I'm actually the only single one in the group but the couples are all doing their own thing for the first few days into Europe, which is why I have the 29th to the 1st to myself. We'll see where I end up I guess.

If it's hot, I'm always in shorts, so how much of a concern is safety of belongings if I'm also Asian? haha.

I didn't realize trips to Greece were that much? Even from Croatia? I think the plan is to just hit the islands and not spend any time in Athens (or wherever our port of entry is) and fly out. Dubrovnik is for sure a destination though, is there a recommended "best way to travel" for such a large group? Bus or rent a car (or big ass van lol).

It's probably a little early to be worrying about smaller details, but for the electronics I plan on bringing, are there any issues with adapters or whatever for charging phones, etc. I plan on bringing a cellphone, battery pack, headphones, and GoPro. Speaking of cellphones, I'm assuming there are kiosks in the airport to pick up a sim card for all of Europe? With unlimited data packages, how much do they normally run?

In terms of security for all my stuff, I've read about money belts. They seem dorky but how much of a concern are pickpockets? I don't plan on carrying that much cash around with me, especially if I get approved for the Home Trust Visa with 0% FX. I also plan on getting mini lock and cable to loop through all the zippers pockets on a backpack I have yet to get haha.
    I won't say pickpockets are NOT a concern, but I traveled around europe for 2 months and didn't have anything taken from me. I didn't use a money belt. Travelling around to different cities I'd say it's fair to keep it in a safe place. I'd say play it safe at the beginning, better safe than sorry.

I know people may disagree, but I left majority of my valuables (passport, most of my money) within the hostel, locked away. Brought money and alberta license as I went out and about. If you get into london you can get prepaid cards.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Dont bring any unnecessary expensive electronics with you. Keep everything small and light. I got a 100$ android phone for quick, light, travelling purposes. A simple POS camera as well.

The EU has a wierd thing where each country has their own SIM cards and network proviers. I would just pre-order a SIM card for each through ebay or whatever (but not too far ahead as some SIM cards expire if unsed for too long) - check that your phone also supports the carrier frequencies.

Most wall chargers are 110-220v compatible - you just need to figure out what wall plugs you need for each country. A "world kit" travel charger is like 40$ or less.
    Last edited by revelations; 01-18-2018 at 09:39 AM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I don't know about the sim cards for the whole of Europe. But when you stop in London. DO NOT BUY THE SIM CARDS AT THE AIRPORT. They are rip off.
    You can buy the sim cards from all phone stores from the high street for a few dollars. The airport and the Tube has free wifi.

Are you flying into Heathrow or Gatwick?

My Ride
    G6

I'd do carry on size only for main bag and pack a small day pack. Did that for a month in Europe a couple years back and loved it. Makes navigating airports a breeze, and you really don't need that much stuff. It even fit my Surface Pro.

As for island hopping, you can do that between Italy and Croatia. No need to go to Greece.

What do you need a SIM card for now a days? Just use WIFI. All hotels/hostels will have it, as will most places you sit down to eat. Unless you are on call and need to respond immediately, there is no point to getting a SIM card IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dandia89 View Post
    I won't say pickpockets are NOT a concern, but I traveled around europe for 2 months and didn't have anything taken from me. I didn't use a money belt. Travelling around to different cities I'd say it's fair to keep it in a safe place. I'd say play it safe at the beginning, better safe than sorry.

I know people may disagree, but I left majority of my valuables (passport, most of my money) within the hostel, locked away. Brought money and alberta license as I went out and about. If you get into london you can get prepaid cards.
    I've probably spent ~5 months backpacking Europe, including all the countries you've mentioned and more sketchy ones. This is not the 3rd world you're going to. I would say get a money belt if you wear one here... I just used my regular wallet. If you're a little on alert and don't stand out, you'll be fine. I only had one guy try to pickpocket me and he was so dead obvious.

Also agreed on storing passport somewhere that's locked in a hostel. A lot will have a safe. In my experience, the guys who get their passport (and other things) stolen are the ones who bring it out in public. I tend to store away an emergency CC as well just in case.

Cables and locks on your luggage or backpack is a dead giveaway that there's lots of valuables inside. If anything its becomes more tempting and they'll just slice your bag open.

After being in Europe multiple times now, I honestly find that jumping around with just a day or two here and there, living out of your suitcase, it ends up being a giant pain in the ass and you miss much of the best stuff. I much prefer finding a nice airbnb vacation rental in an area that is central to many things I want to see, rent a car and just day trip. You get to be way more immersed and spend real time experiencing what the areas truly offer. If I was going for the timing you were talking about I would pick three areas and stay for 5 days each.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by jltabot View Post

Money belt on hot days are not good either. Buy a small wallet and keep it in front pocket. Carry essentials and grab some Android phone for travel and leave your iPhone X at home.

No sure Visa got popular now but for a lot of places cash is still essential.

There is nothing you can do about Asian being targeted and it's just something I heard from mainstream media in China/HK/Japan. Just pay attention of your surrounding and watch for random people coming up to you trying to distract you or on crowd area like subways. I think if you look like North American, they may leave you alone, especially with shorts.

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Money belt on hot days are not good either. Buy a small wallet and keep it in front pocket. Carry essentials and grab some Android phone for travel and leave your iPhone X at home.
    I bought a money belt because I was worried about pick pocketing.. Ended up using a small wallet in the front pocket the entire time. I just wore shorts or pants with a zipper pocket.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

So I've been to Italy and Croatia but haven't hit Greece.

Best part of my Eurotrip last year was 3 nights in Levanto, Italy where we rented a villa right on the sea (Italian Riviera) so if you are willing to spend a few days in one place then I highly recommend checking out the Riviera and trying to find a steal on AirBNB. Not much in terms of sights but you can't beat it. It's beautiful, weather is amazing, water is warm. Do it. We did a stopover in Venice too but we went in June and it was just too hot so we didn't enjoy it much. Could be better in September but when I was there there wasn't much that seemed interesting to see. I mean, it's a town on water with canals instead of roads and a ton of tourists. I guess if you haven't seen much old European architecture it might have some appeal. Personally, I have no desire to go back.

When I went to Croatia we went specifically for a music festival so we didn't explore much but we were in Split and the town looked like it could be a great time during summer. Heard great things about others who went too.

One rookie mistake people make when they travel to Europe is try to see as much as possible. I get the appeal and I fell into that trap a couple times but I will never personally spend less than 4 nights in a city. If a city doesn't have 2 days worth of sights (since first and last night don't really count) than it's not that interesting. I hate the feeling of getting to a city, taking a day to cram in as much sights as possible then rushing off to the next place. Chill out. Take your time. Talk to locals or other tourists. It's not just a to-do list. As for pick pockets, well I've been through most of Europe, multiple times and never once had anything stolen. I've had friends get make up bags and wallets stolen but all of that was their own fault, so bottom line is if you're not stupid about it you'll be fine. Don't leave shit lying around. Don't keep stuff in easy to reach pockets and just be a bit vigilant, is someone being overly friendly or walking close to you for no reason? Not a good sign. Personally, I try to pack as many shorts with zip up pockets as possible.
    Last edited by dj_patm; 01-19-2018 at 01:05 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by dj_patm View Post
    Best part of my Eurotrip last year was 3 nights in Levanto, Italy where we rented a villa right on the sea (Italian Riviera) so if you are willing to spend a few days in one place then I highly recommend checking out the Riviera and trying to find a steal on AirBNB. Not much in terms of sights but you can't beat it. It's beautiful, weather is amazing, water is warm. Do it. We did a stopover in Venice too but we went in June and it was just too hot so we didn't enjoy it much. Could be better in September but when I was there there wasn't much that seemed interesting to see. I mean, it's a town on water with canals instead of roads and a ton of tourists. I guess if you haven't seen much old European architecture it might have some appeal. Personally, I have no desire to go back.
    Most people including myself really enjoy that part of Italy. I'm glad I stayed at Cinque Terre area to wind down before flying out from Milan.

I'm probably gonna forget the whole money belt thing. My wallet is already really small as my daily carry, I don't believe in carrying unnecessary cards for the "what if" moment. So I'll probably just do what you've all suggested, leaving the essentials in a safe at the hostel and just carry cash/ID.

I fly into Heathrow, haven't looked into much as far as research goes, since I have a tendency to procrastinate lol.

I only asked about the SIM cards in the event that I wasn't in a wifi area and got lost wandering around or wanted to look something up. I also thought their wireless services were generally MUCH cheaper than they are here, so I thought if its "reasonably cheap" I don't see why not?

We're all still sorta trying to figure out what places/attractions we want to see in each country. Being that we're a large group, is it better to book those cheap flights in advance so that we set hard dates for when we have to be at a certain place by or do you recommend just booking 1-2 days in advance before our next leg of the trip? One of my friends is super neurotic about finding flights beforehand but if I'm having a good time and want to stay another day, I just don't want to be forced to leave right away because we have to? Are accommodations for larger groups going to be an issue? I doubt we'd all want to split up but I also see it as an inevitability lol.

Shorts with zip up pockets are now on the to-buy list.

So I'm about a month out and I'm trying to get all the little things in order. What packs would you guys suggest? I've read the Farpoint 55 was a decent option but I was wondering if there were any similar, maybe cheaper options? The best I could find was $155+ for the Farpoint. From what I read, its 40+15L. I already have a 30L hydration pack that I considered bringing for day trips, but I feel it might be a little overkill.

Other items on the to-buy list:
    - world travel charger adapter kit
    - pack towl (microfiber or polyester? any other alternatives?)

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I got the Farpoint 40. Really handy as a carry on. I took a small Jansport backpack and a manbag for day trips. Each one depending on what I was doing for the day.

I bought the farpoint online from the UK. https://www.trekitt.co.uk.
    I ordered on a Sunday night and it arrived on the Wednesday. With shipping, import tax..it still worked out cheaper and faster than buying it in Canada. Not sure what the price is now, but worth having a look.

Take a yoga towel. Its the same as a microfiber. Its light and dries quickly.

My Ride
    Silverado

https://www.pacsafe.com/venturesafe-.../60321600.html

Is what I have. Clamshell is a big benefit. Also use packing cubes

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    +1..
    Forgot to add in my post. Packing cubes! I got mine from MEC.

@dirtsniffer Nice pack but kind of out of my price range
    @tonytiger55 did you find the 40L to be enough room? I'm on the fence about the farpoint 40 vs the 55 because I could just take my daylite pack. I'm not really a light packer, but one could learn haha. Would also want to leave a little room for random shit that I'll probably buy, etc.

I have a couple of the amazon basics packing cubes but the large ones are too big I find. May need to order a few more medium and small cubes..

My Ride
    rally pig

55L might be too big if you plan on not checking in the luggage. i travel with a 45L Dakine hiking bag and a small camera bag for up to 2 weeks with no problems.

bought this for the wife and in 2 years of using it around the globe, it hasnt die on her yet (have one very similar but its out of stock)
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

packing cubes are great, have a couple small ones that I carry with me to compress clothes.
    have also this to compartmentalize my items in the bag and use the small laundry pouch for toiletry
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i bought a microfibre towel but never nrought it, most places we go to provides towels already.
    Last edited by taemo; 07-31-2018 at 08:31 AM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Packsize depends.
    You can take the 40 as a carry on and if its under a certain weight. I used it for SE Asia, I just took tshirts & shorts. The bulk of my weight came from electronics (laptop, go pro, backup HD, world plug, chargers etc) and my trainers/runners, combat trousers and hoodi. The latter I hardly wore and took a lot of space and weight.

If your not a backpacker then I think the 40L would be too small. That being said, I travelled with a 65L back in 2002. It was too big and i took too much stuff. This time I used the 40 and it was perfect. But I travel super light, wear same clothes etc. I dont buy stuff as it takes up weight. I dont go to the night clubs or stay out late. This alos effects types of clothing I take. Im more of a daytime, site seeing person.
    If your going with a group of guys, then it might be different. Especially if your buying stuff. The clothing is better there. When I go home to London, I usually go with a empty suitcase and buy stuff there.

Go to MEC and Atmosphere across the road. Check out the bags

If you're doing an excursion/ museum, book in advance (pay online) to avoid the usual insane lineups.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast