Quantcast
First time Euro-trip, need suggestions, tips, etc. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: First time Euro-trip, need suggestions, tips, etc.

Default First time Euro-trip, need suggestions, tips, etc.

Planning a trip to Europe with a bunch of friends. There’s gonna be 7 of us in total going, dates are gonna be between Sept. 1-19. The countries we plan on visiting are Italy, Croatia and Greece. Not necessarily in that order but we’re all still in the planning phase.

Looking for insights, stuff to see or do, tips on booking flights and reservations, etc.

Anything and everything for suggestions because for a lot of us, it’ll be our first trip to Europe.

Thanks in advance, getting really excited for this trip 8 months out and flights haven’t even been booked yet haha.
    Last edited by jltabot; 01-15-2018 at 10:39 PM.

My Ride
    rally pig

Are you guys backpacking or checking-in?
    What kind of vaation are you guys looking for, cultural/historical or partying?

My Ride
    dumpster trains

If you are hopping flights I would highly recommend Ryan Air. Super cheap with no amenities.
    If you are staying in hostels, I would recommend wombats, clean and fun, had lots of good memories from the bar in the basement.
    I would highly recommend visiting the UK.
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you guys backpacking or checking-in?
    What kind of vaation are you guys looking for, cultural/historical or partying?
    I think a little mix of both? 27/28yo some partying, some sight seeing, museums, food, etc.

We're considering both hostels and Airbnb for the group, depending on what's cheaper and works out better. Straight backpacking might be a little much for everyone. Not knowing what everything is gonna cost, and after reading about a few budget euro trips online, does anyone have a rough estimate of what to budget for? The number in my head for the whole trip is $5k CAD, but again, with no frame of reference, I could be out to lunch on the whole thing.

The plan is to stay a few days in each country without feeling too rushed. My friend came up with tentative dates for each place:

Italy: Sept 2-7
    Croatia: Sept 8-12
    Greece: 13-19

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuStacy View Post
    If you are hopping flights I would highly recommend Ryan Air. Super cheap with no amenities.
    If you are staying in hostels, I would recommend wombats, clean and fun, had lots of good memories from the bar in the basement.
    I would highly recommend visiting the UK.
    Will look into this! thanks. Our port of entry into Europe is through London, but then quick flights out to Italy (assuming that's our starting destination) and going from there.

I've also looked into credit cards with 0% foreign exchange fees, and with the Amazon card getting discontinued, my only option so far is the Home Trust Preferred Visa. (no point getting the Fido/Rogers credit cards for my use). My friend also mentioned a prepaid travel visa offered by CIBC with 0% FX fees, but I was wondering, even if prepaid, do they do a credit check? Or is it available even if you're not a CIBC customer? Can I use the same Visa to withdraw those prepaid funds as cash at any random ATM in europe if need be?

My Ride
    dumpster trains

Quote Originally Posted by jltabot View Post
    I think a little mix of both? 27/28yo some partying, some sight seeing, museums, food, etc.

We're considering both hostels and Airbnb for the group, depending on what's cheaper and works out better. Straight backpacking might be a little much for everyone. Not knowing what everything is gonna cost, and after reading about a few budget euro trips online, does anyone have a rough estimate of what to budget for? The number in my head for the whole trip is $5k CAD, but again, with no frame of reference, I could be out to lunch on the whole thing.

The plan is to stay a few days in each country without feeling too rushed. My friend came up with tentative dates for each place:

Italy: Sept 2-7
    Croatia: Sept 8-12
    Greece: 13-19

Will look into this! thanks. Our port of entry into Europe is through London, but then quick flights out to Italy (assuming that's our starting destination) and going from there.

I've also looked into credit cards with 0% foreign exchange fees, and with the Amazon card getting discontinued, my only option so far is the Home Trust Preferred Visa. (no point getting the Fido/Rogers credit cards for my use). My friend also mentioned a prepaid travel visa offered by CIBC with 0% FX fees, but I was wondering, even if prepaid, do they do a credit check? Or is it available even if you're not a CIBC customer? Can I use the same Visa to withdraw those prepaid funds as cash at any random ATM in europe if need be?

I just use my regular MC and eat the fees. Sometimes, keeping things simple is better than saving money
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

My Ride
    TL

- greece sucks, maybe stay for 0.5-1 day in athens but if you're in greece for that long go on the islands.
    - croatia will probably your most enjoyable, if you like partying check out hvar. Good sight seeing there too
    - can't speak much for italy but you could probably see everything you want in 2-3 days in rome.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Definitely check out Plitvice Lakes national park in Croatia. I went once in April, and even though everything was still brown it was an incredible walk, September would look more like this:

Also lots of stuff to see in Dubrovnik, take a boat tour to an island from there. And you can get cheap (~$25/person per night) waterfront places to stay about 30 mins away in Zaton, people will list them on hostel sites. I've been all over Europe and Croatia takes the cake for me.
    Last edited by Swank; 01-16-2018 at 12:50 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Pack light if you ain't driving or plane hopping on Ryan Air.

Rome is cool but lots of tourist traps. If you see tourists, avoid food in the area. Know your currency and keep an eye on vendor ripping you off on changes or offering upgrades without naming prices. If you have 5-6 days in Italy, you are probably going north into Venice by train. Plan accordingly and make sure there are no issue with train schedules.

Of course, that's a decade ago for me, so many things may have changed.

Ditto on packing light. Every trip I pack less. Plan to do laundry once or twice and you won't need to take much.

Avoid wearing shorts in those countries. Men do not wear shorts in most European places.

That's a big group so you'll be forced to take it slow. Don't try to do or see too much. Just enjoy it at a leisurely pace and if you missed something you can always go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    Ditto on packing light. Every trip I pack less. Plan to do laundry once or twice and you won't need to take much.

Avoid wearing shorts in those countries. Men do not wear shorts in most European places.

That's a big group so you'll be forced to take it slow. Don't try to do or see too much. Just enjoy it at a leisurely pace and if you missed something you can always go back.
    Yeah, I still have to compile a list of travel specific items (ie: travel towel, packing cubes, etc.). That's unfortunate about the shorts things, if I were to pack light, I thought that included packing more shorts than pants haha. Oh well, good to know!

Flights are now booked, August 29-Sept 19. Is Ryan air the best option for cheap flights to neighbouring countries? Or is it wiser to look into a euro-rail pass (I just don't know which one).

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by jltabot View Post
    Yeah, I still have to compile a list of travel specific items (ie: travel towel, packing cubes, etc.). That's unfortunate about the shorts things, if I were to pack light, I thought that included packing more shorts than pants haha. Oh well, good to know!

Flights are now booked, August 29-Sept 19. Is Ryan air the best option for cheap flights to neighbouring countries? Or is it wiser to look into a euro-rail pass (I just don't know which one).
    Ryan air is cheap, there are a number of cheap operators like Easy Jet. just depends on availability and demand.
    You can use Sky scanner for flights too.

How long is your stop in London for?

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Ryan air is cheap, there are a number of cheap operators like Easy Jet. just depends on availability and demand.
    You can use Sky scanner for flights too.

How long is your stop in London for?
    That's sorta open ended. My trip starts a little earlier and we're all gonna meet in Italy around the 2nd (I think). So I can either hang around London for a bit or train/fly elsewhere until then.

My Ride
    Ford F150

The Greek islands are my favorite destination on earth. Mainland is less spectacular. Between them and Croatia, you should have a pretty good time. Hostels are a great way to meet other people. Airbnb will be better for big flats for just your friends.

Italy is cool but I'd only give it a few days compared to the rest.

5k is plenty if you're staying in hostels.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    rally pig

I always wore shorts when in Europe, I may look like a tourist but at least I'm not hot.

My travel gear is 4 shirts, 3 underwear, 1 shorts, 1 pants, 1 swimming trunk and sweater. Then toiletry.
    Usually do laundry every other night.

Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    The Greek islands are my favorite destination on earth. Mainland is less spectacular. Between them and Croatia, you should have a pretty good time. Hostels are a great way to meet other people. Airbnb will be better for big flats for just your friends.

Italy is cool but I'd only give it a few days compared to the rest.

5k is plenty if you're staying in hostels.
    Havent been to Greece yet but we did Split and drove down to Dubrovnik in Croatia.
    We were initially planning to go to Splitvice instead of Dubrovnik but most people I talked to recommended the later more.
    Italy, there's tons to see, depending on how many days you want to spend in Italy you could see most places or concentrate on the north (Milan, Venice, Florence) or south (Rome, Naples)

My Ride
    Ford F150

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    Italy, there's tons to see, depending on how many days you want to spend in Italy you could see most places or concentrate on the north (Milan, Venice, Florence) or south (Rome, Naples)
    True, I'd definitely recommend choosing north or south on a short trip.

Don;t get me wrong, Italy is a great place. My honeymoon was there. My wife wants us to move there. But if I'm giving advice to a group of singles in their 20s, my advice is Greece and Croatia
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

I love wearing shorts too but attracts more attention from pick-pockets which is a big problem in the countries OP is visiting. My first trip to Europe 10 years ago I wore shorts with a tank top on most days. Probably looked so dumb that thieves assumed I had nothing valuable to steal lol.

My Ride
    Eclipse

When in Croatia avoid Zagreb - the city is boring AF compared to the coast, with that all the hotties leave end of aug or early sept

So possibily try to do Croatia first?

+1 on Pliltive Lakes (been there twice now)

They also got Krka national park which is near the coast, pretty nice as well.

I wouldn't worry about wearing shorts at least in Croatia I never had issues never got pick pocketed.

Never been the Greece and have missed two flights to Italy so I've never seen it and can't comment on it.

Been to Croatia like 5 times though love it
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I love wearing shorts too but attracts more attention from pick-pockets which is a big problem in the countries OP is visiting. My first trip to Europe 10 years ago I wore shorts with a tank top on most days. Probably looked so dumb that thieves assumed I had nothing valuable to steal lol.
    I heard they are after Chinese/Asians now. Don't blame them.

My Ride
    G6

How rushed of a trip do you want? You're talking 15 days after you consider 2 days wasted for travel. Moving more than every 3-4 days sucks. I'd highly recommend limiting it to 2 countries and I'd write Greece off. Nothing wrong with Greece (except the Greeks and refugees), I just think there's too much to see in Italy/Croatia to tag it on. Spend a few days in London as it's a neat city. Then pop down and spend a week in Italy, and hop over and do a week in Croatia.

Someone can probably give you a better lay of the land for Italy as I haven't been in a decade, but in Croatia I'd see Dubrovnik, Spit and the islands around there, and Plitvice Lakes as a third option. You only need one long full day to see all of Plitvice Lakes.

I've always worn shorts. Not an issue.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by Feruk View Post
    How rushed of a trip do you want? You're talking 15 days after you consider 2 days wasted for travel. Moving more than every 3-4 days sucks. I'd highly recommend limiting it to 2 countries and I'd write Greece off. Nothing wrong with Greece (except the Greeks and refugees), I just think there's too much to see in Italy/Croatia to tag it on. Spend a few days in London as it's a neat city. Then pop down and spend a week in Italy, and hop over and do a week in Croatia.

Someone can probably give you a better lay of the land for Italy as I haven't been in a decade, but in Croatia I'd see Dubrovnik, Spit and the islands around there, and Plitvice Lakes as a third option. You only need one long full day to see all of Plitvice Lakes.

I've always worn shorts. Not an issue.
    almost what we did last May for 2 weeks

2 nights in London
    3 nights in Split (drove to Dubrovnik and spent a night there)
    3 nights in Rome
    3 nights in Positano
    2 nights in Capri
    2 nights in Lake Como
    1 night in London

we thought about squeezing Greece but flights were expensive (300$+)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast