Quantcast
Recovery days/week - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Recovery days/week

Default Recovery days/week

What are peoples routines like? I'm constantly battling muscle fatigue or on the verge of overtraining and I'm wondering what everyone else does or if this is just me being a whiner about the training being difficult.
    I've tried a few different iterations of bike trainer workouts, but my hours/week is anywhere between 7-12 hours in some combination of cycling, weights, running, and swimming and I'll do a recovery week maybe once every 2 months which involves just easier workouts in each.

I find it harder and harder to finish my Trainer Road workouts, which may or may not be by design, but I feel like I shouldn't be barely finishing them with nothing left in the tank. That leads me to believe the fatigue is just getting worse and over training is setting in a bit.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around it, as i am always wanting to do something, but know i should also have recovery days. I shouldnt have done a bike race last night, but felt compelled to, which then killed my morning workout today, which may push to tonight when I have soccer...

Take a look at Chapter 2 of this book. It's kind of the bible of alpinism training, and can be pulled across to any endurance athlete fairly easily (change 'climb' to 'bike' or whatever and it's pretty simple). Luckily for you, Chapter 2 is avail for free online as a good starter: Page 77 on speaks to recovery
    https://play.google.com/books/reader...en&pg=GBS.PT75

My Ride
    Wankels!

Are your trainer road workouts set up to account for your swimming/running/weight training? I find most workouts in Zwift are tough to finish unless I'm on fresh legs. If I've played soccer on Wednesday I'll go for an easy spin on Thursday. By easy I mean geriatric pace as the point is to help recovery. After a hard workout or race I'll take at least 10 minutes to spin the legs out also.

One thing i learned from fellow cyclists - Your hard days should be really really hard. Your easy days should feel ridiculously easy.

The Trainer Road workouts do account for other activities if you're doing one of their triathlon programs. I'm a cyclist before anything else, so I end up just doing a low volume cycling base and build phase (3 days per week, ~250 TSS/week) to fit everything else in too instead of accruing too much TSS for cycling. I just find it difficult to fit everything in without having all hard days even if it's cycling one day then weights and running the next.