Quantcast
Best places near town to snowshoe? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Best places near town to snowshoe?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Default Best places near town to snowshoe?

What are some nice areas, that are open (not single track, packed down trail nonsense) with no avalanche risk... off leash dog friendly (Public lands usually) areas to snowshoe?

Looking to go out this weekend, so the less traveled the more likely it won’t feel stupid to have the snowshoes on haha

Was wondering about McLean? But I also don’t have an off the beaten path friendly vehicle... and was worried about how much yahoo snowmobile traffic they see out there as I will have the dogs and rather not worry about it

West bragg was kinda dumb... could of just wore sneakers last time it was so well worn

Ghost lake? Probably easy parking in the M, but how wide spread is the motorized vehicle traffic? Do they stick to one area, making it easy to avoid?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Snowshoeing on a lake sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    dumpster trains

You really aren't going to find good snow unless you head to the mountains.

Banff typically doesn't have good snow for shoeing, and when it does it get trampled so quickly.

I would recommend Emerald lake or Yoho National Park. They get better snow and are less travelled. Avalanche risk exists in both areas, but is typically minimal if you stay in lower lying areas.

Personally I really like Emerald lake, good snow, lake walking, and a great restaurant/resort on the lake.

If you hike to the far end of the lake then you get into a alpine meadow (about 2 k from the lodge) which almost no one ever gets to, you will find snow up to your hips.

Basically go where the tourists aren't.
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Most of the public lands near town won't have enough snow to bother snowshoeing, Mclean would be boring as all hell. I hiked Prairie last sunday in sneakers and was fine... If it's not going up-hill (e.g., a lake), or a designation, why bother?

Chester Lake is a go-to for most people, so i prefer Rummel Lake in K Country. Technically your dog is supposed to be on a leash in K Country, but if its well behaved your only risk is the conservation officer at the parking lot.. You may get someone giving you shit too.. Rummel ridge is even quieter. Rawson lake is a quick but steep one, and coming down is pretty fun if you go "off-roading"

Go wander up Evan Thomas Creek in k-country. You can choose your own adventure up the creek to get off the 'worn' path, find a couple massive (150m +) ice-falls, and probably see people climbing them. Keep your dogs on leash till you're into the creek as horses do wander up the trail sometimes.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 01-19-2018 at 10:57 AM.

My Ride
    G37X

Lake Louise was epic for a first timer last year. But I don't think that'll meet your criteria.
    I think there's some pretty good stuff on 22 X across from spruce meadows. Or at least I've
    seen snowshoer's lol

My Ride
    '14 Taco

I guess thats the question, are you just trying to go for a walk with snowshoes on, or actually want to get somewhere? Snowshoes suck, so you might as well go somewhere kinda cool.

If you do end up at a popular spot spot keep your dog on a leash.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    If you do end up at a popular spot spot keep your dog on a leash.
    Popular is easy to find... and what I’m trying to avoid because the dogs are the main reason I’m going and they need to RUN

Plus popular also means worn path, which is pointless to the shoes...

The shoes are because girl... she wants to go, said I have them... now I’m going!

My Ride
    dumpster trains

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Popular is easy to find... and what I’m trying to avoid because the dogs are the main reason I’m going and they need to RUN

Plus popular also means worn path, which is pointless to the shoes...

The shoes are because girl... she wants to go, said I have them... now I’m going!
    Emerald Lake!

I had almost the same experience as you, GF wanted to go snowshoeing, I wanted to go skiing. I lost

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

^^like field? I really don’t want to drive that far haha

How is it down near chain lakes? Busy? Easy parking? I know there is public lands down that way... just not 100% sure on where

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    I guess thats the question, are you just trying to go for a walk with snowshoes on, or actually want to get somewhere? Snowshoes suck, so you might as well go somewhere kinda cool.
    Let’s just say my backup is walking the block and a half to fish creek and walking off path right down the middle of the valley
    Last edited by ercchry; 01-19-2018 at 01:17 PM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowed_point View Post
    Lake Louise was epic for a first timer last year. But I don't think that'll meet your criteria.
    I think there's some pretty good stuff on 22 X across from spruce meadows. Or at least I've
    seen snowshoer's lol
    Like the off leash area? Isn’t most of that now a construction zone for the ring road?

Evan Thomas creek doesn’t look too bad, dogs don’t need to be off the whole time... so can wait till it thins out

http://kananaskistrails.com/snowshoe...terfalls/2009/
    Last edited by ercchry; 01-19-2018 at 01:27 PM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

If you go to Evan Thomas, checkout the falls for sure, just don't stand right under them..you'll see the shrapnel that comes down if you head up the small hill towards them. The rock wall on the right on the way up is pretty impressive. Have seen mountain goats up there as well (Goats, not sheep)

Re: Chain lakes. There is not enough snow to really make snowshoeing a 'thing' on the front ranges until you're back a range or so. The chinooks and wind move all the snow. Ive done some snowshoeing near the Cataract Creek campground, and it's ok, but again, just not that much snow until you get further into the hills. Hell the difference between Nakiska and Peter Lougheed is noticeable just by the road. Way more snow the further in
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 01-19-2018 at 02:04 PM.

My Ride
    G37X

Like the off leash area? Isn’t most of that now a construction zone for the ring road?
    http://kananaskistrails.com/snowshoe...terfalls/2009/
    Yep! But I've seen a couple shoer's trekking through that area. Some with dogs. Looked kinda fun. Park in bridlewood around
    169 Ave and walk a bit.

My Ride
    dumpster trains

^^like field? I really don’t want to drive that far haha

How is it down near chain lakes? Busy? Easy parking? I know there is public lands down that way... just not 100% sure on where

Let’s just say my backup is walking the block and a half to fish creek and walking off path right down the middle of the valley
    Ahh, so gentle winter fitness. Maybe try the Three Sisters area

Peter loughheed areas are nice, keep going until the parking lots thin out.

I know not snow shoeing but two years ago I bought a skijoring setup for my dog who loves to pull, holy shit is it fun. Can’t take dogs on anything that is trackset but highway 40 from the gates is a great out and back