Quantcast
Driving on summer tires in winter - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving on summer tires in winter

My Ride
    This and that.

Default Driving on summer tires in winter

Hey guys, although to me the answer is pretty obvious but I am a little confused on what the dealer is telling me. I am supposed to be picking up a new vehicle in BC next week and the stock tires it comes with are Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical 3. When I look them up online they appear to be high performance summer tires to me and not even all-seasons. Because of the way it's going to work out, I am going to already have my winter tires/rims set from current car that I'd be bringing back (unfortunately won't fit on the new car), so putting 4 more tires in (if I bought an all-season or winter set for the new vehicle) the vehicle likely won't be possible.

I spoke with the dealer and he said their general manager drove the same model car which is xDrive in Vancouver through tons of snow with the OEM tires and he never had any issues so he seems to think that I will be fine. But I am just a little concerned. What do you guys think?

My Ride
    ute

I would not. Could get ugly. Especially if you are considering driving over the mountains with the car? I hate doing that drive at this time of year at the best of times.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Doesn't bc require snowflake tires for many mountain passes?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I've tried it before. Never again.

It's not just snow you have to worry about. It's how the temperature changes the stickiness and grip of the rubber compound. Summer tires basically turn into hockey pucks in winter temperatures. Vancouver winters are not the same as Calgary winters by any stretch of the imagination.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This.

Plus driving around Vancouver with "tons of snow" doesn't even compare to the roads we seen in Calgary the past month. They don't even know what ice is. It's just warm slush at the worst.

xdrive wont do shit for you. Driving on summer tires in the passes is absolutely retarded from november to March. You can randomly get a foot of snow, or sheets of ice covering the road. october and april are even debatable if its a good idea.

Greyhound your old rims,or the factory tires, or whatever, and buy winters and get them installed there. 1010tires is local in vancouver, or get something shipped to the dealership, or negotiate new tires.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Next thread:

Guys, I just put my car in the ditch. Does anyone know how much damage there could be?

With the money you spend on swapping cars, I cannot believe that you wouldn't pony up to ship a set of tires via greyhound and get proper winters for the trip back. You seem like a smart guy, being a Lawyer and all, but driving on summers over any of the passes in BC before then end of March is rather silly.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Next thread:

Guys, I just put my car in the ditch. Does anyone know how much damage there could be?
    This is shak. It's more like: Guys, I just put my car in the ditch. What should I get next?

My Ride
    This and that.

Haha pretty much all the responses are what I expected. Like I said, the answer was fairly obvious to me but I just got a little confused based on what the dealer started telling me. I will look for a winter set but at this time it may be hard to find anything especially since I only got less than a week left and I think 1010tires is my only option. But I feel even a set of good all-season tires will be better than what the car currently has.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Snow/winter, all season and all weather will all meet BC's requirements.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Ya man 1010tires is out of Vancouver, lots of stock at good prices, at the very least geta new set then sell them of here if you don't need them.

My Ride
    This and that.

Yea I am calling 1010 tomorrow and getting a set of 4 Continental DWS all-season. Hopefully they have them in stock locally, which a friend of mine can go and pickup for me. Then when I arrive Sunday I will get them swapped before heading back. If all the tires don't fit in the car, will leave the rims at the dealer to have those shipped back to me or something.

My Ride
    ute

What size of tire do you need?

My Ride
    This and that.

Either square setup of 245/35/20 or staggered 245/35/20 and 275/30/20. I am looking on Kijiji as well to see if there's anything locally. Winters or all-season.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Hey guys, although to me the answer is pretty obvious but I am a little confused on what the dealer is telling me. I am supposed to be picking up a new vehicle in BC next week and the stock tires it comes with are Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical 3. When I look them up online they appear to be high performance summer tires to me and not even all-seasons. Because of the way it's going to work out, I am going to already have my winter tires/rims set from current car that I'd be bringing back (unfortunately won't fit on the new car), so putting 4 more tires in (if I bought an all-season or winter set for the new vehicle) the vehicle likely won't be possible.

I spoke with the dealer and he said their general manager drove the same model car which is xDrive in Vancouver through tons of snow with the OEM tires and he never had any issues so he seems to think that I will be fine. But I am just a little concerned. What do you guys think?
    You certainly CAN use summer only tires, but buying and then installing chains on them could be a disaster. There are other options too for when youre in the mountains. Either way, it would be white knuckled drive if it has or is presently snowing.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Either square setup of 245/35/20 or staggered 245/35/20 and 275/30/20. I am looking on Kijiji as well to see if there's anything locally. Winters or all-season.
    I believe in Vancouver, they rarely use kijiji, Craiglist is more popular I think and you can also check their local car forum called Revscene.net

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

That BMW in the ditch looks like it has a slim rim plate frame on it. Haha. I always notice them now.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    xdrive wont do shit for you. Driving on summer tires in the passes is absolutely retarded from november to March. You can randomly get a foot of snow, or sheets of ice covering the road. october and april are even debatable if its a good idea.

Greyhound your old rims,or the factory tires, or whatever, and buy winters and get them installed there. 1010tires is local in vancouver, or get something shipped to the dealership, or negotiate new tires.
    Going on close to 4-5 years ago, my father bought a 2002 Camaro SS from California in the spring, maybe beginning of April? And what do you know, once they got near Calgary, HUGE SNOWSTORM. On BFG KDW's Him and my mother were stuck there for a whole day until it was reasonably safe enough to drive back to Red Deer. And my dad is like me, weather has never in his entire life kept him off the roads.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I drove back from Edmonton to Calgary in an April snowstorm back in the late 90's in my 944 Turbo with Potenza S-02's. I have no idea how I actually made it out of that alive, and that's flat prarie roads. You couldn't pay me enough to drive back from BC to Calgary in January on performance summer tires.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    95B

What did you buy @shakalaka ? M3?
    I wouldn't drive it with those tires.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast