Quantcast
New winter tire stud depth - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: New winter tire stud depth

My Ride
    bus

Default New winter tire stud depth

Hello

I recently purchased a brand new set of winter tires and had a shop install studs in them, I’ve never owned a set of studded winter tires before and was wondering if any of you know if this is normal. I think the studs in the tires are sticking out further than they should be, perhaps too long of a stud was installed. I’ll have a chat with the shop on Monday to see what they think as well.

Thanks

Last edited by redblack; 01-20-2018 at 07:29 AM.

Studs will settle in a little with driving but if they stick out too much and you spin your tires they could pull out. That amount there is not out too too much but watch them. If it is going to come out it will happen soon or the will settle in soon. If a few pop out it is not a big deal to replace them early on because you can make certain the holes have no pebbles in them but a new tire driven on without any studs is another story. Too many stud holes to check them all.

A few things can lead to that. Some tires are super tough and the rubber doesn't stretch as much (think LT tires or old stock where compounding has firmed up). Studding tires already mounted on rims too because when pressing in with the stud gun a mounted tire flexes down rather than an unmounted tire on a steel saddle does not flex down. Operator difficulty too comes up when someone is busy they could have just been zipping along under the gun and a few sloppy ones slipped through. Even equipment issues can happen but that will usually get caught. Just depends...

If there are any issues, most shops will not give you a tough time sorting out a few strays. Kind of goes with the territory. You have multiple hundred of studs in your tires so a few goofed ones won't hurt your abilities but if you catch them right away, might as well get them sorted out.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Those look like maybe a 1.5mm protrusion which is not too bad. I run a 2mm for my street tires and haven’t lost any yet.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Looks normal to me. I studded my own tires a few years back. First year the studs stuck out like yours. 2nd year, the studs had all sunken in below the tread and were useless. Why? The shop that supplied me the studs game me 1mm too short ones.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    bus

Thanks for all the info, it put my mind at ease. I’ll run them and see if they settle over time.