Quantcast
New, stealthier photo radar trucks? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New, stealthier photo radar trucks?

My Ride
    G37X

All good, don't speed

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    easy tell is the bone stock f150, everyone in calgary has lariat, fx4, platinum, king ranch, harley davidson.....
    So true. I like this.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

In theory these should still be defeated by a NoPhoto unit right? Starting to wonder if it's worth investing on one now...

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    I don't think so. Even if 100% of the people pulled over stopped speeding for good and only 25% of people receiving photo radar tix stopped for good, photo radar still stops way more people from speeding. Doesn't stopping people from speeding have something to do with safety?
    Woosh.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    In theory these should still be defeated by a NoPhoto unit right? Starting to wonder if it's worth investing on one now...
    Hmm interesting concept on the tech.
    Look at the AmazonUS reviews though lol

https://www.amazon.com/Voxx-NoPhoto-...ustomerReviews

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    I can't see that thing working. Also, I don't know if the techs have access to the actual photo when a photo radar images comes across their desk, but I am guessing they could still find out what your plate is pretty easily if it was just over exposed. Every test I have ever read on photo radar defeat devices don't seem to work haha. I think it's easier to defeat Lidar than photo radar unless you cover your plate.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Cue the idiots insisting this is not about revenue and only about promoting safety hahahahaha, fucking retards.
    Hey safety isn't free alright!! It's not like we can just educate people 'round here.
    Ultracrepidarian

Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky. Dark colored Ford Exploder with the new bush bar mounted apparatus parked on the north side of 16th Avenue NW right in front of the NAPA between 6th and 7th Streets, parked just off of the sidewalk and just in front of NAPA's huge sidewalk sign. Almost impossible to spot them and who would suspect a vehicle parked in front of an auto parts place, certainly were keeping their flash unit busy tonight with WB speedsters.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

It's 50 along that stretch too is it not? On a 6 lane wide dead-straight divided road. Probably flashing at people doing a reasonable 60 which is what that road should be. SAFETY YAY

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky. Dark colored Ford Exploder with the new bush bar mounted apparatus parked on the north side of 16th Avenue NW right in front of the NAPA between 6th and 7th Streets, parked just off of the sidewalk and just in front of NAPA's huge sidewalk sign. Almost impossible to spot them and who would suspect a vehicle parked in front of an auto parts place, certainly were keeping their flash unit busy tonight with WB speedsters.
    That twat gave me 3 in a row going 61-63 in July at 7 AM, literally got a stack of them in the mail. All the same cop too, some Hispanic name...

Literally only works when the road is dead because everyone drives 60 along there so they have to wait for single cars for the camera to work.

Huge POS, always have to check that damn NAPA parking lot now.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    That twat gave me 3 in a row going 61-63 in July at 7 AM, literally got a stack of them in the mail. All the same cop too, some Hispanic name...

Literally only works when the road is dead because everyone drives 60 along there so they have to wait for single cars for the camera to work.

Huge POS, always have to check that damn NAPA parking lot now.
    You could of gotten a couple of them thrown out if they were in a small amount of days.

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

I didn't see it mentioned in this thread but just look for a fleet tag on the licence plate. Police cars will always have a fleet tag instead of regular registration. Whenever I see a fleet tag on a parked car I slow down as a precaution. Interestingly, I can still identify them at Deerfoot speeds with enough time to slow down safely.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    You could of gotten a couple of them thrown out if they were in a small amount of days.
    It was once week trying to make my tee times across town on saturday/sundays lol. I paid my stupid tax.

As for obvious and fleet tags. Its just an explorer parked in the napa parking lot that happen to be close enough to the road for the system to work, GL catching those every time. 60 on the trans Canada highway... Major hustle.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

The fact that it was a newer Explorer near the road is all the evidence you need to be suspicious - if you learn the vehicle models you should be able to avoid future tickets. They only use 2 or 3 vehicle models for Photo Radar and most of the time they don't even try to hide. Most of them don't have normal wheels either. Just slow down anytime you see a vehicle like that parked like that anywhere near the road you're on and you will never get a ticket. It may not always be a cop but it happens so rarely relative to the total time you spend driving it's a non-issue. That has been my strategy and it's been working for many years now because the police haven't changed their habits one bit so you can pick them out a mile away. I drive by photo radar several times a week in various parts of the city and especially construction zones. Sometimes they are on roads or areas parallel to the road you're on but in those situations they usually don't even try to hide because enough people are oblivious. Also slow down just before passing barriers and bridge pillars in construction zones, and you won't get caught even if the entire vehicle is hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by 98brg2d View Post
    I didn't see it mentioned in this thread but just look for a fleet tag on the licence plate. Police cars will always have a fleet tag instead of regular registration. Whenever I see a fleet tag on a parked car I slow down as a precaution. Interestingly, I can still identify them at Deerfoot speeds with enough time to slow down safely.
    The view of this Exploder was pretty much blocked from the view of approaching traffic by NAPA's oversized sidewalk sign - you would've needed xray vision to see the plates or and even identifying this vehicle was difficult because of the sign. It is probably the most ingenious use if cover I've seen to date. All NAPA has to do is remove their sign and that spot is toast.
    Last edited by speedog; 10-16-2018 at 10:30 AM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    14th Street off-ramp on to Memorial Dr NW
    I noticed the CPS once a while will park their photo radar SUV/truck along the north side of Westmount Blvd (blue box) instead of the south side (pink box; on the median, where they usually park).

Attachment 81079
    Once in a while?.....I think it is easier to count when they aren't there.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Thank you! I take this way every day to work and haven't seen them in the morning but will definitely be more careful there...sneaky bastards.

https://goo.gl/maps/VCf53dvCJro

I've also seen the coppers setting up shop WB 16th ave coming off of Deerfoot at the top of the hill again. Years ago they'd always be there and then abruptly stopped when the police station shut down (cuz who wants to go far from your office, amrite), but now I've seen them again.
    Last edited by msommers; 10-16-2018 at 12:49 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Some ways to deal with the silly cash grab:

- drive 0-9kph over the limit (most of these units only catch those going 11kh over)
    - make your plate appear worn/dirty, but still legible if viewed from behind the vehicle. There is no specific law that governs HOW legible your plate has to be (eg visible from 50ft at noon on 1 July) - just that it cannot be blocked or covered (eg. plate cover) ie. obscured by a bike hitch.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

The explorers and trucks in cgy are running MRCD. A V1 picks them up as a very very weak K-Band after you have already passed. I have seen them park illegally on sidestreets in order to cover 2 lanes of a major roadway. I have blown by them on a 3 lane road by accident and never got a flash or ticket. I was in the far left lane. The signal is so weak 2 lanes seem to be their range but who knows for sure.

Interesting factoid. Recently moved to red deer. The RCMP use cameras with LiDAR. My ALP will jam them from the front constantly until I pass the truck on the opposite side of the road. Range is a lot better than MRCD and almost nobody has rear facing anti-laser. And yes, each time there was a guy with a book and a camera rig in the driver's seat. Was not an active LIDAR trap. Just a dude with a book and camera running LiDAR taking pictures of the passing cars. Maybe cgy will start as well. MRCD detectors are pricey but almost nobody runs rear facing laser protection.

My Ride
    Canyonero

I got nailed by that exact set up in September for 11km/h over

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast