Quantcast
Costco gas lineups - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Costco gas lineups

Default Costco gas lineups

How many beyonders fill up their gas at costco and endure those long lines? I have a costco membership but pretty much given up hope on filling up there. It's like a disaster movie - easily 10 to 20 min waits every time. NW costco is especially bad regardless if its weekend or weekday. Between the time and gas wasted on idling I don't know why anyone bothers to save the buck or two. Looking to hear some others perspectives.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Never filled up at Costco, never will.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How many beyonders fill up their gas at costco and endure those long lines? I have a costco membership but pretty much given up hope on filling up there. It's like a disaster movie - easily 10 to 20 min waits every time. NW costco is especially bad regardless if its weekend or weekday. Between the time and gas wasted on idling I don't know why anyone bothers to save the buck or two. Looking to hear some others perspectives.
    I'd rather pay the extra $4 and save myself 20-30 mins of sitting there.

My Ride
    Silverado

I fill up at superstore. $.03/L in rewards dollars.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I usually do my Costco (warehouse) runs at the end of the day before it closes and get gas after so the line ups aren't as bad. Note that the gas stations close one hour after the warehouse. The only time I'm ever near the NW location is when I'm up there having dinner at my mom's on Sundays and I avoid it like the plague cause it's so busy.

That said, I've started going to the new location at the end of 17th ave SE. The place is so much quieter compared to any of the other Calgary locations and I've never had to wait in line for gas ever. Depending on where you live, that may be out of your way, but for me it's only slightly further away than the Deerfoot location but the smaller crowds make the extra few minutes drive worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    I'd rather pay the extra $4 and save myself 20-30 mins of sitting there.
    This. Those gas stations are a bit of a pet peeve for me in Beacon Hill. I always park on the south side and the traffic that station causes is crazy. I don't get why you'd go through the aggravation to save a couple dollars.

Wondering if people just aren't doing the math and think they save more?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by syscal View Post
    Wondering if people just aren't doing the math and think they save more?
    Not just that but for some vehicles, the minuscule savings are often negated by the drive out there if it's out of the way hahaha

Never filled up at Costco in my life. The wait is not worth the ~$2 I might save on gas. If I need gas, I fill up wherever it's convenient - doesn't matter what the price is. Over the course of an entire year I'd be very surprised if I could save more than $20 by wasting time in lineups or driving around hunting for the lowest price.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Takes me about 20 minutes to get gas and grocery, thanks to Superstore Click and Collect I can order ahead of time and pick it up with about 5 minutes wait time. Superstore usually has $25 free item for $250 and over purchase, plus the PC Plus points helps here and there.

I used to have a Costco membership. Along with overbuying, chaotic atmosphere, and long lineups for gas and grocery, it was not worth my time.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    I fill up at superstore. $.03/L in rewards dollars.
    Pay with a PC Debit Card or Credit Card and get 0.07/L in reward dollars
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    Not just that but for some vehicles, the minuscule savings are often negated by the drive out there if it's out of the way hahaha
    I always laugh when gas prices drop and people go buy Jerry cans to fill up not realizing it’s going to take 10 fills just to break even on the Jerry can

My Ride
    V167

PC points and Superstore FTW

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I go to Heritage on the way home from work. I avoid the weekends and usually do Tuesdays or Thursdays late afternoon/evening. The wait is not bad, hardly ever 20 minutes.
    Average wait is 5-10mins. But most times, I hardly ever wait that long. Im about 1 or two cars behind.
    People don't actually know the length of the fuel pump is long so you dont have to go to one that is on the same side of your gas tank.

The average saving is around 0.7cents a litre. Adds up to around $4-5 a tank. I save about $170 a year, but thats if I always fill up there. Does not seem a lot, coupled with other savings stuff it adds up for me (i.e my electric is then paid up four months).

But yeah...NW is a bit of a joke for lineups.

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    I always laugh when gas prices drop and people go buy Jerry cans to fill up not realizing it’s going to take 10 fills just to break even on the Jerry can
    Yeah it's the same thing as people driving across the city cause they heard on the radio there's cheap gas. Waste $5 of gas to save $2

I never pay attention to gas prices cause if you need gas you need it, it's not like you are going wait a week for the price to drop. I hate getting gas at Beacon Hill Costco but wife always tells me to get it there. I like gassing up at the coop by my house cause it's close and has a car was.

For a lot of people it's all about the thrill of the chase. Some people will buy a car load of stuff they didn't need cuz they saved $X dollars. My parents do the same when it comes to buying groceries in bulk and it ends up being a burden to eat it all or just goes to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    For a lot of people it's all about the thrill of the chase. Some people will buy a car load of stuff they didn't need cuz they saved $X dollars. My parents do the same when it comes to buying groceries in bulk and it ends up being a burden to eat it all or just goes to waste.
    If I do go, it’s on my way to work and no line

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Hell no. Not ever.
    Even 5 minutes is too long.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

I'd rather pay full price than wait in line at the Costco pumps... I don't care much what I put in my daily but I'll usually go out of my way to toss shell 91 in my truck in the summertime.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I buy Costco gas in Kamloops and Abbotsford, when driving to Van.Island and back. That's about it. Those line-ups are obscene, and typically it's the husband waiting in the gas line while the wife is inside shopping.

I typically use Coop. Money back at the end of the year, plus those cash-off receipts can really add up.

My Ride
    2011 Chrarger, 2018 F150

I hit the costco on 17th SE during the week before I zip into work. When I get there at 6:30, there is no one so I can quickly fill up and get out. If I need gas any other time, I will just drive to a shell station and top up the tank.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast