Quantcast
What do Beyonders do for side jobs? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do Beyonders do for side jobs?

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Default What do Beyonders do for side jobs?

Looking for ideas... Evenings and weekends.

I used to with at this place called Symcor after work doing data entry, ended up quitting after I started making more $$ at my day job and the hours were too late (and they wanted like 4 nights well at least) but the job itself was not too bad, just listened to music and basically did data entry...

I wouldn't mind doing something manual labor to help get some exercise, saw a posting for UPS but start time is 4pm, too early.

Thinking about going to a temp agency and maybe doing some warehouse unloading trailer work on Sat or Sun mornings.

What do you guys do?
    Last edited by NissanFanBoy; 01-24-2018 at 01:03 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Not too tough to get weekend and evening work at the car rental companies. At the one I work at, the guys who clean the cars make a little more than the guys who drive the cars, but it is for sure harder work.
    Spring and early summer are prime hiring season for that.

If you want occasional work, get your forklift ticket and the temp agencies will love you. Last time I talked to them they said any forklift certification would immediately put you at the front of the line.

In the past I've done overnight security, unloaded trucks. if you want a little more control of your hours just hustle and get contracts doing lawncare in a nice neighborhood. If you can get three or four houses on the same block, it's gravy. Can also be a good way to write off a pickup if you are the kind of guy that appeals to.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I use to do my own thing, my philosophy was, if I’m working beyond my 40hrs a week, I better be making at least what i’d get for OT at my day job, or what’s the point? Then I thought, eh... let’s just make it double. Find something you can create from the comfort of your home, figure out your time cost, then put a price on it and try and find a market. Chances are you will, since your competition would have much higher overheads and your prices should be lower!

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Currently nothing but I have a potential business idea I might pursue on the side. In the past I’ve worked as a ski coach, at a tire shop, and flipping cars on the side to earn money.

Backyard mechanic. Have done work for many co-workers and beyonders.
    Packed it in for beyonders due to price haggling after work is done. But my co-workers are more than happy to pay what I ask and refer me to other friends.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    I use to do my own thing, my philosophy was, if I’m working beyond my 40hrs a week, I better be making at least what i’d get for OT at my day job, or what’s the point? Then I thought, eh... let’s just make it double. Find something you can create from the comfort of your home, figure out your time cost, then put a price on it and try and find a market. Chances are you will, since your competition would have much higher overheads and your prices should be lower!
    This is the best way to look at it. If you are doing something on the side, the most minimal amount of time possible, plus the lowest overhead possible. Basically something at home that few other people do, that you have the skills to provide quickly. High profit margin, low time.

HOWEVER, you really, REALLY should focus on increasing your pay through your main job in any way possible. If something is worth doing (such as a side job) enough that it makes you money to continue, it should be worth doing full time IMO. Doing it part-time is basically half-assing it, at which point, you should just dedicate that time spent on the side-job improving your main job.

My 2 cents, spoken from experience. I now have what appears to be a successful business because I followed this exact path.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

^if you are successful at the side thing and feeling like you are running out of hours, I would agree

BUT... having an actual employer is helpful in a few ways... the major one being able to qualify for different types of financing. Going self employed puts major plans like home purchases on hold for two years.. so before you do it get all your ducks in a row

And security, plus benefits... self employed now means cpp, wcb, and potentially a health plan all out of your own pocket

Plus it might be tough to expand out of the basement without increasing prices which won’t go over well with current clients

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Packed it in for beyonders due to price haggling after work is done.
    Budget Ballers

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Side gigs are awesome even if you aren't raking in the money. If you aren't making huge family sacrifices, that little extra money can be used for paying down mortgage, buying nicer vehicle, or just a family vacation. Really cool to have a second source of income, even if it's not very large.

I work with a dude who has full time work, and when his son went away to university, he realized his retirement savings were in danger. So his second job is two days a week, doesn't stress him out too much, and covers the costs of his kids schooling and makes his financial situation much more secure. It eats up some of his time sure, but it's removing a lot of stress from his life, and that's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    TL

Last edited by dandia89; 02-13-2018 at 07:25 AM.

I have a couple customers that do part time delivery for Skip The Dishes and say they do alright.

I personally worked weekends and evenings for Lee Valley for fun one year. I love old school handtool woodworking for a hobby and it was a blast getting to help people learn and sell that type of stuff. Low pay but I didn't do it for the money at all...

My Ride
    Silverado

find a store you like and use the opportunity to use the discount to buy all the stuff you want.

Nothing, all free time is spent with kids. However, I sometimes fix computers for cheap ass relatives that repay me generously with overdue fruits and chocolate for hours of work.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Backyard mechanic. Have done work for many co-workers and beyonders.
    Packed it in for beyonders due to price haggling after work is done. But my co-workers are more than happy to pay what I ask and refer me to other friends.
    I absolutely hate this. Doing side jobs for friends of friends who are basically strangers who make it sound like they are your best bud and grind you on a price that's already dirt cheap. I've stopped doing side jobs because of this as well and will only help out people I know personally.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

kinda an odd one, but i used to tie high-end steelhead flies for fishing.. Just got old doing it

I kept getting requests to do Real Estate photography for people, so now I do that on the side as well as other random photography related jobs. Not much money to be made there, but I enjoy it.

My Ride
    changes every year

I haven't started doing it yet but soon I might start doing some basic garage welding for some extra loot. No tig though because I don't have a tig machine at home.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

I drive for Uber. Nothing special. I just found that I was driving around aimlessly anyway... might as well make a little money while I'm doing it.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

I do a bit of machining. I have a small lathe, a mini mill, welder, 3d printer and the ability to do some ghetto aluminum anodizing. Combine that with being an equipment designer (with all the fancy software) by day, I can design and build custom stuff. Wish I could do more of it though. It's not regular enough to cover more than a case of beer every so often.
    dv/dt

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Not a side job, but whenever I feel like it, I gather all my stuff I don't need, take pics of it, and list it on Kijiji. Everything always sells, and filtering out the idiots keeps me busy enough. This way I just lay on the couch watching TV, and then arrange for someone to drop by, give me money, and back to the couch.

I haven't been bored long enough in the last little while to even consider it, although I have though about working at Tims in the evening just for kicks and giggles, more to be useful than anything else really, to get off the couch

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Been doing a lot of handyman type jobs for people, decks, fences, drywall, smaller renos, custom work, etc... More than anything to keep my busy as I don't make a lot of money doing it. I had so much down time that I didn't know what to do with myself, so, away I went. I do zero advertising, and yet, my phone rings off the hook and I always have jobs lined up for when I am finished my current job.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast