Quantcast
Modding vs leaving stock possible collector car - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Modding vs leaving stock possible collector car

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’d personally keep that fox intact. I think if I had any limited run low mileage fox body I would enjoy it as is, which is why I jumped at buying my inline-six fox to go mod-happy and not feel bad about it.
    I don't recall exactly, but it wasn't really limited run. I'm pretty sure they made like 5000 of them. Hardly limited.

FWIW, I'd also say mod it. Keep the stock parts.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Interesting opinions. I'm in a similar situation with my '87 Iroc with 80K on it. So far I've resisted modding it, but not sure it will increase in value much further either.
    I'm at that point where either I start driving it, or sell it and free up the space for another vehicle.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by CLiVE View Post
    Interesting opinions. I'm in a similar situation with my '87 Iroc with 80K on it. So far I've resisted modding it, but not sure it will increase in value much further either.
    I'm at that point where either I start driving it, or sell it and free up the space for another vehicle.
    Pics or ban! I think 3rd gens will continue to slowly appreciate. Especially an Iroc with low mileage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    I don't think a 51k kms foxbody will be worth a princely sum.

Will its value increase? Absolutely, look at late 2nd gen and 3rd gen Camaros. Garbage cars with zero intrinsic value, good luck finding one in ok shape below $10k.

There were on average ~60k foxbody's made per year, with a majority of those v8's. If you want a clean one, they are available. Look at RX7 and Supras as an example. The 3rd gen rx7 turbo isnt bad, Supra turbo prices are high but they always have been. And they aren't CRAZY money (like say 911 porsches are now).

But focusing on the modding, its almost guaranteed a value drop unless the purchaser wanted to do them anyways. So your niche vehicle sale just became more niche. Anything "collector" value is based on originality. That's why a chunk of firewall with a VIN is worth so much.
    I generally agree with you, but a 3rd gen Camaro 1LE or IROC or a Firehawk is a garbage car to you? I mean, Iron Duke slush box models sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shlade View Post
    Meh keep the old parts that came off the car if you're really concerned. I don't think a vehicle should sit and not be enjoyed. What the fuck is the point of that? If somebody really wants to buy it down the road they will.... if not oh well what's it costing you? My lightning is next to impossible to find in good shape these days, or even for sale for that matter in Canada... I'm not going to not drive it, or not mod it just because it'll be worth something in the future... that's just retarded.
    I agree. I daily drove my 98 Z28 (ok it's not super collectible but still) for three winters and modified it, enjoyed the heck out of it and sold it for over 75% of my purchase price 3 years and 50+ Kms later. Life's short...

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I would do the bolt on, but keep all the original parts. That way if it does gain in value, you can sell as original.
    This. Any modification that can be reversed with the original parts is as good as having never modified it to begin with.

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

To me, it depends what you want out of it and why you enjoy it. If you enjoy it because it is a 7-up edition 5.0, keep it stock. If you want a fun V8 car to beat on, grab a budget 4th gen Camaro, or SN95 Mustang and beat the tar out of it. I actually think Fox bodies are going to spike in value in the next 10ish years. Just like the '55/'57 Chevies, they were a dime a dozen regular cars when new, made good race cars and so were modded, wrecked, and beaten until nowadays you have to pay top dollar for even a rusted garbage 6cyl '55/'57 4 door, and a clean original unmolested V8 2 door car is $$$. At the time, no one thought 55-57 Chevies would be valuable as they literally made millions of them each year. The ones that had cheap mods and a tacky carb'ed 350/TH350 combo stuffed in by a well meaning car guy are still pricey, but worth way less than a clean original 265/283 car. Likewise, most Fox bodies either saw daily driver duty and were rusted to oblivion, or have been hacked up as they make fantastic budget drag cars. A 5.0 Fox with bolt-on mods isn't even really that fast by todays standards, so I'd be tempted personally to leave it alone, enjoy it for what it is, a clean original rather than do a half-ass 'bolt-on only' mod job which will take a 14 second turd and make it a 13 second turd, increase the enjoyment marginally while taking away from what makes it special. If you want a fast fox, forget the original 5.0, grab a US 4 banger driver from a rust free state, and turbo-LS it in to the 8s.

My Ride
    06 EVO IX, 17 RAPTOR,13 JKRU, 18 TH Jeep

One look at the barrett jackson row of or so 30 fox bodies that crossed the block in Scottsdale this january for big money and you have your answer. they are going up in value FAST now.....keep it stock is what i'd do.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowed_point View Post
    Pics or ban! I think 3rd gens will continue to slowly appreciate. Especially an Iroc with low mileage.

- - - Updated - - -

That's quite the ultimatum. Not to hijack. But here's a pic. Auto w/350. Was my grandfather's car. Has been in my family for over 25 yrs. I really don't drive it, but can't bring myself to sell it either.

I'm more of a Ford guy. If I had a low mileage Fox body I'd be tempted to just keep it stock.

Name:  iroc.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  69.4 KB
    Last edited by CLiVE; 01-29-2018 at 03:07 PM.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by carson blocks View Post
    To me, it depends what you want out of it and why you enjoy it. If you enjoy it because it is a 7-up edition 5.0, keep it stock. If you want a fun V8 car to beat on, grab a budget 4th gen Camaro, or SN95 Mustang and beat the tar out of it. I actually think Fox bodies are going to spike in value in the next 10ish years. Just like the '55/'57 Chevies, they were a dime a dozen regular cars when new, made good race cars and so were modded, wrecked, and beaten until nowadays you have to pay top dollar for even a rusted garbage 6cyl '55/'57 4 door, and a clean original unmolested V8 2 door car is $$$. At the time, no one thought 55-57 Chevies would be valuable as they literally made millions of them each year. The ones that had cheap mods and a tacky carb'ed 350/TH350 combo stuffed in by a well meaning car guy are still pricey, but worth way less than a clean original 265/283 car. Likewise, most Fox bodies either saw daily driver duty and were rusted to oblivion, or have been hacked up as they make fantastic budget drag cars. A 5.0 Fox with bolt-on mods isn't even really that fast by todays standards, so I'd be tempted personally to leave it alone, enjoy it for what it is, a clean original rather than do a half-ass 'bolt-on only' mod job which will take a 14 second turd and make it a 13 second turd, increase the enjoyment marginally while taking away from what makes it special. If you want a fast fox, forget the original 5.0, grab a US 4 banger driver from a rust free state, and turbo-LS it in to the 8s.
    ^Wicked IROC clive. I dig the red 80s interior.

I kind of agree. But I find the mustang experience to be completely different than the f body experience. I do not care for fox body seating position, handling or shifter position personally. It is the opposite of sporty imo for
    anything beyond a 1/4 car. I like to sit in my spaceship/bathtub type car.

Also agree on a 4th gen Z28 or Formula stripper $5000-7000 for the car, a couple grand in and you will have smiles for miles
    Last edited by Hallowed_point; 01-29-2018 at 03:20 PM.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    This. Any modification that can be reversed with the original parts is as good as having never modified it to begin with.
    Not on a collector car. Real collectors will be able to tell. Heck I can usually spot modded cars that were put back to stock just by examining under the hood as too many owners just slap the stock parts back on carelessly. Really though I don't think the OP's car falls in the category where a real collector would be interested so this is a moot discussion.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    Not on a collector car. Real collectors will be able to tell. Heck I can usually spot modded cars that were put back to stock just by examining under the hood as too many owners just slap the stock parts back on carelessly. Really though I don't think the OP's car falls in the category where a real collector would be interested so this is a moot discussion.
    Real car collectors are nerdy old guys in jean shorts with sandwich boards detailing the factory stock specs as well as the +100 hp chip and CAI they added to make it a lambo slayer.
    Don't be a collector dork OP

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    We're talking bolt-ons here. I've seen numerous collector cars returned to stock after decades of modifications that pulled top dollar. Swapping to shorty headers and bolting the original manifolds back on at a later time isn't going to reduce value. Same is even more true for engine internals. A properly executed back-to-stock is no more visible than normal vehicle maintenance.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I generally agree with you, but a 3rd gen Camaro 1LE or IROC or a Firehawk is a garbage car to you? I mean, Iron Duke slush box models sure.
    Any vehicle from the late 70's to late 80's was pretty pathetic overall from both a quality standpoint and overall performance standpoint. It's insane you couldn't get a 350 camaro with a manual transmission.

The Firehawk doesn't really count. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hppp-...tiac-firehawk/

As for the 1LE/IROC, I never said they weren't COOL cars. But as I mentioned, from a quality/performance standpoint, they are just not good cars. Same goes with Foxbodies, or even the early-to-mid corvettes. True example of the height of the Big Three mediocrity.

Note I didn't say I wouldn't own these. I'm actively looking for a 2nd gen/3rd gen/4th gen camaro or firebird. Want one in sort of rough shape but driveable to have as a toy. Collecting pieces to put a destroked 8500rpm LSX screamer into it one

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Any vehicle from the late 70's to late 80's was pretty pathetic overall from both a quality standpoint and overall performance standpoint. It's insane you couldn't get a 350 camaro with a manual transmission.

The Firehawk doesn't really count. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hppp-...tiac-firehawk/

As for the 1LE/IROC, I never said they weren't COOL cars. But as I mentioned, from a quality/performance standpoint, they are just not good cars. Same goes with Foxbodies, or even the early-to-mid corvettes. True example of the height of the Big Three mediocrity.

Note I didn't say I wouldn't own these. I'm actively looking for a 2nd gen/3rd gen/4th gen camaro or firebird. Want one in sort of rough shape but driveable to have as a toy. Collecting pieces to put a destroked 8500rpm LSX screamer into it one
    Fair enough! I for one, do not get the mustang thing even after owning one. From a performance standpoint, the 3rd and 4th gen f bodies eat them alive. Trouble is , women in skirts didn't like getting in and out of them and they're kinda polarizing in terms of styling.

I too would love to take a 79 ish beat looking Trans Am and give it some serious LSX N/A balls.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    We're talking bolt-ons here. I've seen numerous collector cars returned to stock after decades of modifications that pulled top dollar. Swapping to shorty headers and bolting the original manifolds back on at a later time isn't going to reduce value. Same is even more true for engine internals. A properly executed back-to-stock is no more visible than normal vehicle maintenance.
    Agreed. As long as you don't monkey wrench the installs it would be very tough to tell.

My Ride
    dumpster trains

Restomod.

Keep all the good stuff, mod what isn't

Personally I have mixed feelings about the fox body mustangs, they are such a great platform, but unfortunately too many of them have been molested...

Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuStacy View Post
    Restomod.

Keep all the good stuff, mod what isn't

Personally I have mixed feelings about the fox body mustangs, they are such a great platform, but unfortunately too many of them have been molested...
    I'm curious as to what is great about them besides the aftermarket? They have a wet noodle chassis, crap brakes and a truck engine. Most disappointing car I've
    ever owned. I really want to know why people always say that! They look cool and sound nice I guess.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...-collector-car

This one apparently sold for over 80K USD with 15,000 miles. Now yours is a bit more but it is still pretty darn low.

My Ride
    dumpster trains

They look cool and sound nice I guess.
    Bingo, its all about presence!
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I'm curious as to what is great about them besides the aftermarket?
    If you wanted a 1/4 mile machine, it was the cheapest to do for quite a long time. Probably not applicable anymore, but 10 years ago it was.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    If you wanted a 1/4 mile machine, it was the cheapest to do for quite a long time. Probably not applicable anymore, but 10 years ago it was.
    I think that's still valid. Just think in any other category of performance driving it's a very crude platform.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast