Quantcast
If you could relocate in Canada where would you go? - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: If you could relocate in Canada where would you go?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

^ Read the thread
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Well she survived yet another round at work. We realized that we cant really move anywhere until my daughter completes her heart surgery when she is 5 which is in 2 years away, I very much doubt that any other country would do that for free, so will be in Calgary for a couple of years. I doubt the projects im on will be commissioning until 2020 as well.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    ^ Read the thread
    Pretty much. Do you like ICBC? Smoking weed? Working at a gas station at 45 as the assistant manager? Complaining about the ferry?
    Then maybe, Vancouver Island is the place for you,

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

So im in Ireland for work for a couple of weeks and the climate is very much like BC with the rain and mild winter temperatures. I suffer from a auto immune disease (not aids) which is very episodic with how it acts up on me and in calgary with all the dander / pollen / dust in the air because of the dryness I get it very often. Anyway with Irelands(bc like) weather I feel fantastic I have had no episodes and I have not had to take any of my medication for it as Im not getting sick every day. I really think I would like to feel like this always so moving to BC would perhaps be a real possibility for my family, the housing though sucks although I guess I wouldnt have to live in the most expensive parts of Vancouver - could live further out. Unsure what my wife would do she might have to be a stay at home mom for awhile.
    Last edited by nzwasp; 04-06-2018 at 02:13 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    So im in Ireland for work for a couple of weeks and the climate is very much like BC with the rain and mild winter temperatures. I suffer from a auto immune disease (not aids) which is very episodic with how it acts up on me and in calgary with all the dander / pollen / dust in the air because of the dryness I get it very often. Anyway with Irelands(bc like) weather I feel fantastic I have had no episodes and I have not had to take any of my medication for it as Im not getting sick every day. I really think I would like to feel like this always so moving to BC would perhaps be a real possibility for my family, the housing though sucks although I guess I wouldnt have to live in the most expensive parts of Vancouver - could live further out. Unsure what my wife would do she might have to be a stay at home mom for awhile.
    BC is only moist at the coast, still a dessert in the valley.

Also sometimes it's the change of environment that fixes a problem. My sis grew up with asthma in warm/humid HK and somehow got cured in dry and cold Calgary. Then you have shit load of kids in Calgary grew up with asthma.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    BC is only moist at the coast, still a dessert in the valley.

Also sometimes it's the change of environment that fixes a problem. My sis grew up with asthma in warm/humid HK and somehow got cured in dry and cold Calgary. Then you have shit load of kids in Calgary grew up with asthma.
    What kind of dessert do they have in the valley? I love cheesecake. I also have some sort of the same aids as @nzwasp and I agree moving to BC helps my nose and breathing a hell of a lot.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Tossing around the idea of moving to Kelowna in a few years. It's where the girlfriend is from and I work out of town anyway so makes no difference where I live.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Depending on where "out of town" is you might want to make sure that works for your employment situation.

Examples:

I have a friend who works shifts to a mine up north whose employer now requires flights to initiate either in Calgary or Edmonton. Has to move from Saskatoon to avoid having to cover those legs of travel himself

My brother had the same issue when he tried to move to Vancouver island and was working tours out of McMurray. Because his cost to get to Calgary.

Cousins husband was a roughneck out of GP for a few years which worked well, when they moved back to the island so her mom could help out with the newborn he tried to fly in and out from the island. He ended up being one of the first to get cut because they didn't want to deal with employees who had a long lead time to show up. Being able to show up on rig within 12 hours was keeping him employed.

Lots of people willing to work these days, they don't need to cart people across the country to lift shovels anymore.

Not sure what you do but it doesn't seem to be a nationwide commute free for all any more is all. An extra leg out of Kelowna on your dime a couple times a month adds up.
    Last edited by killramos; 04-08-2018 at 04:46 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

^^also pay cheques from out of province would initiate that’s damn property tax

My Ride
    K-car

We've made the final decision to purchase a 7 acre property in the north Okanagan. Currently has a older home set up but we plan to build a smaller new home in the next few years, split title on the property allows for a second home to be built which is nice. Property tax of $870 years is nice, weather is nice, scenery is beautiful, and I don't think there's much about Alberta I'll genuinely miss. As I get older money has definitely taken a back seat to focus more on quality of life, and not a material quality. We want to be more self sustainable, raise the kids in a more relaxed rual environment, and basically have a small working hobby farm. It'll work out fine, I look forward to every aspect of the move from the new home to the endless trails and outdoor activities.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by corsvette View Post
    We've made the final decision to purchase a 7 acre property in the north Okanagan. Currently has a older home set up but we plan to build a smaller new home in the next few years, split title on the property allows for a second home to be built which is nice. Property tax of $870 years is nice, weather is nice, scenery is beautiful, and I don't think there's much about Alberta I'll genuinely miss. As I get older money has definitely taken a back seat to focus more on quality of life, and not a material quality. We want to be more self sustainable, raise the kids in a more relaxed rual environment, and basically have a small working hobby farm. It'll work out fine, I look forward to every aspect of the move from the new home to the endless trails and outdoor activities.
    Sounds fun. There's a lot to be said for the lifestyle you are planning, and it can be a great family environment.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

where in the north Okanagan?
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Depending on where "out of town" is you might want to make sure that works for your employment situation.

Examples:

I have a friend who works shifts to a mine up north whose employer now requires flights to initiate either in Calgary or Edmonton. Has to move from Saskatoon to avoid having to cover those legs of travel himself

My brother had the same issue when he tried to move to Vancouver island and was working tours out of McMurray. Because his cost to get to Calgary.

Cousins husband was a roughneck out of GP for a few years which worked well, when they moved back to the island so her mom could help out with the newborn he tried to fly in and out from the island. He ended up being one of the first to get cut because they didn't want to deal with employees who had a long lead time to show up. Being able to show up on rig within 12 hours was keeping him employed.

Lots of people willing to work these days, they don't need to cart people across the country to lift shovels anymore.

Not sure what you do but it doesn't seem to be a nationwide commute free for all any more is all. An extra leg out of Kelowna on your dime a couple times a month adds up.
    We have lots of guys that live out of province luckily, including a few around Kelowna and Sicamous. I could either drive myself w/ free fuel and would get paid starting the second I cross into Alberta, or could fly on my own dime and get reimbursed half of it. Company doesn't mind, I'd still be closer to Calgary (head office) than some of the guys that live in places like Rainbow Lake and Fort Mac. We have work all over Alberta, Northern BC and Saskatchewan so it works out alright. They'd also switch my payroll to our Fort St John office so it wouldn't be an out of province paycheque for that new stupid property tax.

Definitely a perk of my position and the fact that I've been here for a few years. You're right that the days are gone of any ol' labourer being able to do it
    Last edited by btimbit; 04-09-2018 at 11:09 PM.

My Ride
    K-car

Between Armstrong and Enderby, closer to Enderby though.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Winnipeg

My Ride
    4x4 Abarth

Canada wise I love the idea of BC, so maybe in the future. I have some family there. I don't mind Alberta, for now. 3 nasty wintery months (Dec, Jan, Feb). I don't mind the other 2 wintery months (Nov / Mar). Sept/Oct are beautiful but sad knowing winter is coming to snatch that fall beauty away. April is basically Spring to me (so far this year it's been a lot colder than usual though). Anywhere East of AB doesn't even cross my mind.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6