Quantcast
Dewalt vs Milwaukee tools - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dewalt vs Milwaukee tools

Default Dewalt vs Milwaukee tools

Looking to pick up my first combo drill set, torn between dewalt and milwaukee. It will be used mostly around the house for lighter jobs, not building much. Eventually I may add in a few other tools as well.

Dewalt
    https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.m...000722649.html

Milwaukee (can get it for $160)
    https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.m...000535182.html

Do you prefer one brand/ecosystem over the other?
    Last edited by nagooro; 01-26-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Owned both and have done lots of research on the matter - Milwaukee is better in my opinion and they use more metal. I am not a contractor though.

Also that looks like the older/shittier version of the Dewalt set that they have been selling for years and years rather than their higher end brushless set.

If you're just a home/casual user, I recommend the Ridgid drill/impact set. They are inexpensive, built just as well as DeWalt or any other, and lifetime free battery replacements is a pretty great perk.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Depends what your other tools you'll add are and the cordless batteries.

I started with Bosch and now I'm very limited as to what tools take these batteries.

If it's lighter duty, Ryobi has enough different tools to keep you going for a giant collection.

Also, in building for Habitat for Humanity I've noticed most of their tools are Makita. They must take a beating considering their daily use and how many newbies use these things.

ive used ridgid and dewalt for many years, and for around the house use, pick whatver one you like the look of

i had a cheaper ridgid $150 job and it lasted almost 10 years before the batteries died
    ed on me.

i replaced it with a dewalt brushless set (hammer drill and impact) and its pretty much all metal and should last me for another 10-15.

My Ride
    VTAKK

Quote Originally Posted by nagooro View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking to pick up my first combo drill set, torn between dewalt and milwaukee. It will be used mostly around the house for lighter jobs, not building much. Eventually I may add in a few other tools as well.

Dewalt
    https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.m...000722649.html

Milwaukee (can get it for $160)
    https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.m...000535182.html

Do you prefer one brand/ecosystem over the other?

Milwaukee > Dewalt

Is that Milwaukee on sale anywhere for $160?

Dewalt is owned by Black and Decker so I don't really put any thought into the brand.
    Milwaukee is owned by Techtronic Industries, which also owns Ryobi.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techtronic_Industries

Tools are starting to be like appliances where 2 or 3 companies make a bunch of different brands. Just a marketing game now.

Show up at a job site with your Ryobi tool set.

I use Dewalt and Rigid.
    I equate Ryobi with the same guys that buy everything Motormaster, uses an electric leaf blower and defines a renovation as painting or changing a light fixture in a room.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

For casual house stuff, who cares honestly. Buy whatever is in sale.

Makita is the cats ass if want real quality. Lots of guys use DeWalt daily so it's not as if it's garbage. I got a Craftsman drill for Christmas years ago and for house stuff it's been totally fine.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post

If you're just a home/casual user, I recommend the Ridgid drill/impact set. They are inexpensive, built just as well as DeWalt or any other, and lifetime free battery replacements is a pretty great perk.
    Agreed, for handyman stuff, Ridgid is a great deal and the battery warranty can't be beat. I have a lot of Ridgid drills and other tools and not a single one has ever let me down.

If you're only doing light stuff Ryobi or any brand for that matter is fine. I picked up a 7 piece Ryobi set with 2 batteries and a bonus bluetooth radio for $170 on boxing day a few years ago... great value for the money.

Anything medium or heavy duty i'd say Milwaukee over Dewalt.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Owned both and have done lots of research on the matter - Milwaukee is better in my opinion and they use more metal.

My problem with Milwaukee is that they kind of slid in quality since I started using them. My first cordless M12 I bought 12 years ago is awesome, damn near industructable. 5 years ago I bought one of those 2-packs (drill and impact) for home, and it's WAYYY cheaper in materials, you can feel the difference. There's no way it's lasting as long as my first one, yet they have the same part number.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I am solidly in the Ridgid camp. Can't beat lifetime warranty that also covers the batteries.

Having said that, I have owned all the major brands, and if it comes down to DeWalt or Milwaukee, You are pretty dense if you pick DeWalt if the dollar values are equal or even close.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Coming from a guy who is deep into the M18 Milwaukee cordless tools, probably 8 different tools, I gotta say my brothers Dewalt impact way out performs my M18 Fuel impact.

I would consider what tools you might want in the future. Milwaukee always seems a little late to the party for the new tools things like drywall cut out tools and finishing / framing nailers took years to come out after dewalt released them.

Surprised there is so much hate for dewalt. I have never owned any of their stuff but I haven't heard complaints from the guys I know who use them

^ +1

When I used to spend all my time on the construction sites there was so much Dewalt around. We used a good chunk in our office. But at the same time we also had those huge Milwuakee cordless sets as well (drill/impact/grinder/saw etc). No complaints with either. There was a Dewalt company drill that had been in the back office for 20+ years, aside from Battery dying, the drill itself still worked perfect. I preferred that they had more weight/felt sturdy. But Milwuakee is just fine.

Bosch makes the best saws/table equipment from what I used though.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

My personal favorite is makita as I have had them for 10 years and everything still works. I ran de Walt before that and it was broken and dead batteries with a couple years.

At work we use Hilti for the most part but they are quite expensive, if it was up to me I’d run makita, Milwaukee isn’t bad to. I have a Milwaukee drill in for repairs as it fell 20’. See if it’s worth repairing... 1/2 drive impact drill.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by colinxx235 View Post
    When I used to spend all my time on the construction sites there was so much Dewalt around.
    You'll also see a ton of Snap-on in mechanic shops, but that doesn't mean it's the best brand for every job.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Honestly, if you’re comparing a “milwuakee m18 impact/drill vs the dewalt xr20” it’s the same thing, you won’t notice any differences, it’s just brand preference at that level. I’m a contractor who uses an impact and drill all day every day, you will see the best results are in the pro lines (milwuakee fuel vs dewalt xrp) my preference is for the milwuakee fuel, and my recommendation to you is to save your money and look for a sale on the milwuakee fuel m12 impact and drill combo, the fuel m12 will out perform a generic m18 any day.
    Originally posted by Melinda

You certainly are not a very nice person though.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Honestly, if you’re comparing a “milwuakee m18 impact/drill vs the dewalt xr20” it’s the same thing, you won’t notice any differences, it’s just brand preference at that level. I’m a contractor who uses an impact and drill all day every day, you will see the best results are in the pro lines (milwuakee fuel vs dewalt xrp) my preference is for the milwuakee fuel, and my recommendation to you is to save your money and look for a sale on the milwuakee fuel m12 impact and drill combo, the fuel m12 will out perform a generic m18 any day.

where do you usually find the pro lines? Home Depot etc?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    where do you usually find the pro lines? Home Depot etc?
    HD has some, but KMS Tools, and Bolt Supply House, and Fastenal has pretty much the full line-up

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by s_havinga View Post

Surprised there is so much hate for dewalt. I have never owned any of their stuff but I haven't heard complaints from the guys I know who use them
    I don't have hate for Dewalt, they are fine, nothing wrong with them, but most of the line they have in homedepot / rona are not suited for heavy use that contractors put them through. They used to be for sure, but, not really any more as they have shifted a lot of their products away from job sites to the DIYers at home. They work fine for the regular joe, but just don't hold up outside of that scenario.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast