Quantcast
Shaw Layoffs ? - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Shaw Layoffs ?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

https://mobile.twitter.com/CBCAlerts...46970372780033

Calgary-based Shaw Communications expected 650 workers to take a voluntary buyout package, but today it said 3,300 have decided to leave using the program.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Heard it this morning. LOL

Now it's going to cost them double to retain critical people or only dead wood remains.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

That's a big win for shaw. Lean and mean baby.

Wonder how happy those 3300 people will be when the realize thier skills aren't unique and they have trouble finding their next jobs?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I just can not fathom a company letting go half of its workforce, either they were way over the top in employee numbers or they'll be at least doing some new hires or a hell of a lot more contracting out in the near future. HELUS has become quite adept at hiring back retirees as contractors as well as tendering work out all over the place to other companies, maybe this is the route Shaw is moving towards. Still the loss of half of the workforce over a short time can't help but create some unexpected wrinkles.
    Will fuck off, again.

Well, its 3300 across Canada, mostly techs. Out of the engineering staff in Calgary, I'd guess, maybe 200. Out of the 200, I'd say 120 are actually competent and good at what they do.

Lots of people still around, business as usual.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    That's a big win for shaw. Lean and mean baby.

Wonder how happy those 3300 people will be when the realize thier skills aren't unique and they have trouble finding their next jobs?
    Not necessary, sounds like retention bonus is now being thrown around. What kind of retention are you going to get if you are going to get 20-30 months without working, I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    I just can not fathom a company letting go half of its workforce, either they were way over the top in employee numbers or they'll be at least doing some new hires or a hell of a lot more contracting out in the near future. HELUS has become quite adept at hiring back retirees as contractors as well as tendering work out all over the place to other companies, maybe this is the route Shaw is moving towards. Still the loss of half of the workforce over a short time can't help but create some unexpected wrinkles.
    It's the oldest trick to make share holder happy. Pay double to triple in $ for contractors to get rid of future liability of having an employee. The promise of cost more immediately but potentially less in the future. Or justify the extra cost by having the flexibility to easily end contracts instead of having all these complicated dismissal schemes. Sometimes you can even hide contractor cost within capital spendings.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-15-2018 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Not necessary, sounds like retention bonus is now being thrown around. What kind of retention are you going to get if you are going to get 20-30 months without working, I wonder. .
    Where are you hearing this? Do you work for Shaw?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    Where are you hearing this? Do you work for Shaw?
    A rumor at this point. With 50% leaving, there got to be key operation people that you don't want to lose. Especially at the wireless side with that legacy network still being heavily leveraged.

Nah. The 50% is all of Canada; a lot of the number is rural network techs. Also, people who accepted can be kept for up to 18 months to help with knowledge transfer. They're not offering retention's lol.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Nah. The 50% is all of Canada; a lot of the number is rural network techs. Also, people who accepted can be kept for up to 18 months to help with knowledge transfer. They're not offering retention's lol.
    So you get to keep your job and pay for 18 months and then package start after? Score!

Any language about dismissal on not being helpful in the transition process? Nothing is more destructive then keeping people around when they don't want to be there.

So you get to keep your job and pay for 18 months and then package start after? Score!

Any language about dismissal on not being helpful in the transition process? Nothing is more destructive then keeping people around when they don't want to be there.
    Yes. If you don't maintain a satisfactory level of work before your dismissal, you forfeit your package. If you find another job before your dismissal and want to start early, you forfeit your package. Lots of rules put in place to make sure the people that accepted aren't just kicking the dog for their remaining days.

My Ride
    G37X

It's the oldest trick to make share holder happy. Pay double to triple in $ for contractors to get rid of future liability of having an employee. The promise of cost more immediately but potentially less in the future. Or justify the extra cost by having the flexibility to easily end contracts instead of having all these complicated dismissal schemes. Sometimes you can even hide contractor cost within capital spendings.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    I just can not fathom a company letting go half of its workforce....
    It's not half. Financial Post reports they have 13,200 employees.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    It's not half. Financial Post reports they have 13,200 employees.
    Well the package is only offered to "back office". If you offer the same deal to "front office" you will probably get 100% adoption rate.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I met a guy last week who' package was 200k.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

Well, its 3300 across Canada, mostly techs. Out of the engineering staff in Calgary, I'd guess, maybe 200. Out of the 200, I'd say 120 are actually competent and good at what they do.

Lots of people still around, business as usual.
    The engineering groups are being crushed by this and the upper management is panicking. Sending people for multiple meetings with people higher up the food chain to try to convince them to remain. Throwing salary raises at employees... No clue what the devil they thought they were doing. They are going to lose all the competent engineering staff since they can certainly find another job and take one hell of a windfall along the way. Rehiring new staff is going to be a very costly and time consuming endeavor.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Yes. If you don't maintain a satisfactory level of work before your dismissal, you forfeit your package. If you find another job before your dismissal and want to start early, you forfeit your package. Lots of rules put in place to make sure the people that accepted aren't just kicking the dog for their remaining days.
    Do you have a completion date? Or is it just keep working until they let you go and you get your package?

Quote Originally Posted by mazdavirgin View Post
    The engineering groups are being crushed by this and the upper management is panicking. Sending people for multiple meetings with people higher up the food chain to try to convince them to remain. Throwing salary raises at employees... No clue what the devil they thought they were doing. They are going to lose all the competent engineering staff since they can certainly find another job and take one hell of a windfall along the way. Rehiring new staff is going to be a very costly and time consuming endeavor.
    I work in engineering. Everything you said is BS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Do you have a completion date? Or is it just keep working until they let you go and you get your package?
    They will let people know their completion date after March 26th. It can be anytime in the next 18 months, then they get their package.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Well the package is only offered to "back office". If you offer the same deal to "front office" you will probably get 100% adoption rate.
    probably not. Shaw did a great job suckering their front office staff into thinking they are important. I know many people that chose the move to BC over a package.

Sounds nice in theory, but almost impossible to enforce.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast