Quantcast
School me on shower curtain rods - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: School me on shower curtain rods

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default School me on shower curtain rods

Another in the series of my "am I an idiot?" threads.

How do you use a shower curtain rod?

Ive been in this house nine years, and one bathroom has a tub and no permanently mounted shower curtain. Now my kids are bigger I want them shower in that bathroom instead of the ensuite. Thing is, when I put up the shower curtain, it always falls down within a few weeks, and I don't think the kids are pulling it down. Sometimes it falls down in the middle of the night.

The rods I've used have an extension mechanism where you twist to unlock, extend to the desired length, and twist to lock. I get a pretty tight fit, and it seems sturdy enough, but it never lasts.

Are there better quality shower curtain rods? Is this a technique problem? Do I need to drill through the tiles to install a rod permanently?

Call me an idiot by all means, but I'd love some assistance
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I got one of those curved tension rods that you commonly see at hotels - I think I got it at winners or homesense - its been up 3 years so far and its not fallen down at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

Clean the rubber and the tiles with rubbing alcohol or something like that.
    Size the shower rod so at an angle of about 2-3 degrees from level it is a tight fit. Should have some spring action in it.
    Wet the tiles that you're sliding it into place against, slide/tap with a hammer the rod level, and you should be good.

Condensation is probably making it slide down / your kids are stronger than you (how does it feel?).

My Ride
    V8s

Try giving it a few more twists. I've had ones in the past, when you twist to lock, and just keep twisting it gets tighter and tighter (i.e. it's threaded).

My Ride
    Lease

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    I got one of those curved tension rods that you commonly see at hotels - I think I got it at winners or homesense - its been up 3 years so far and its not fallen down at all.
    Curved ones are awesome, I’d vote for getting these.

If u must get the straight twist threaded rods. Yes twist it a turn or two more... and if it’s tiled, I’d use the tile lines (or just measure for reference) to make sure the rod is parallel and not crooked

My Ride
    FB6

My in laws bathroom’s walls widen from top to bottom ever so slightly and the shower curtain rod always falls down, I’ve tried making it super tight and it still falls every once in a while.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Put a bead of silicon around the end where it hits the wall.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Sorry this is a bit unrelated to curtains - But I recently moved into my new house (townhouse) and the shower wasn't very hot. So I cranked the dial on the hot water tank to like 75% (It was around 50% prior), but it's still not very hot in the shower - BUT the faucet sinks (kitchen, bathrooms) are all very hot!! I dunno what to try next, crank the dial higher? lol...

Relevant to curtains, I installed these single white ones from Homesense I think with hooks on the straight rod. Decent, but the tubs are a "higher" edge / deep tub so kind of annoying climbing over it with a curtain there lol almost fell the first time hahaha..

Quote Originally Posted by Kijho View Post
    Sorry this is a bit unrelated to curtains - But I recently moved into my new house (townhouse) and the shower wasn't very hot. So I cranked the dial on the hot water tank to like 75% (It was around 50% prior), but it's still not very hot in the shower - BUT the faucet sinks (kitchen, bathrooms) are all very hot!! I dunno what to try next, crank the dial higher? lol...
    It probably has a limiter to prevent scalding.

Just Google something like "adjust / remove scald (insert the brand)"

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Just use a ratchet bar.

Name:  603.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  17.4 KB
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by Kijho View Post
    I can't say for certain about your house, but I've heard some new builds are installing a thermostatic valve on the bath/shower fixtures that limits max temperature to ~48 degrees C to prevent scalding. If all your other taps are scalding hot, that'd be my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Clean the rubber and the tiles with rubbing alcohol or something like that.
    Size the shower rod so at an angle of about 2-3 degrees from level it is a tight fit. Should have some spring action in it.
    Wet the tiles that you're sliding it into place against, slide/tap with a hammer the rod level, and you should be good.

Condensation is probably making it slide down / your kids are stronger than you (how does it feel?).
    Exactly how I do it and never had a bar fall down. Basically leave it angled a bit and start to tighten it then pull/slide/turn it down to straighten out. It should be pretty hard to set straight but that's what you want. If it's too easy, remove tighten some more and try again. You can't tighten it enough if it's straight. If you have tile, place is so that the bottom of the rod support is sitting on top of a tile like a mini ledge. If none of the above helps, silicon that SOB and be done with it.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Curved one. It gives the feeling that you have a bigger tub/more room/space than if you used a straight one.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Buy the ones that you can actually screw into the wall. That's what I did.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Screw the curtain all together.... install sliding glass doors.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post

Uhg, cleaning those is the worst. And they have so many knooks and crannies that mouldy crap can grow in.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Uhg, cleaning those is the worst. And they have so many knooks and crannies that mouldy crap can grow in.
    Its no different then a shower with a glass door.

We have one and we clean it when we clean the bathroom and do a deep scrub/clean of the tracks and everything a couple times a year. Its not that bad and its 100x better then a shitty shower curtain blowing around.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Google is reading my every move. I just got recommended this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...e=43dsa.fnd.to

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post

I used to think those were so cool but after buying a house that has them I miss my shower curtain. When getting in and out you never have more than 50% of the opening available. If you're not alone in the shower that can be really annoying.
    Also they kinda suck to clean, though honestly I probably only think that because I was lazy about cleaning shower curtains because I couldn't see the mess.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Get a water softner. Makes it so much easier to clean cause you don't get the calcium build up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast