Quantcast
Hobby Welding - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Hobby Welding

Default Hobby Welding

I bought a simple SMAW welder from Princess Auto and want to start learning how to weld.

Does anybody have recommendations on where to get steel tubing and plates locally?

I also thought about building what I need out of Extruded Aluminum T-Slot Bars if that is available locally for a reasonable price.

Name:  0961267.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  12.6 KB

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Federal Metals for inexpensive steel products. Metal Supermarkets has a wide range of stuff but usually isn't cheap.

Metal Supermarket has some scraps at the front but you still have to pay for them.
    Having gone down the route you're about to. It's harder than it looks, read and read the welding sites.
    Also a fellow beyonder was nice enough to help me through some of my hangups by sending pics of the welds and he'd offer advice.

Steel tubing is easier to practice on. Sheet metal or autobody, you're likely to blow right through it the first couple of tries.

Don't go T-Slot bars. Once you get the hang of welding, it'll go way quicker than bolting together metal.

Thanks for the advice! Metal Supermarkets came up 1st in my Google search, so I'm glad I asked and will try Federal Metals first to compare pricing.

Is the pricing for electrodes/rods pretty standard everywhere of is there a cheaper place to buy them? Any recommendations for or against specific brands?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by phreezee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for the advice! Metal Supermarkets came up 1st in my Google search, so I'm glad I asked and will try Federal Metals first to compare pricing.

Is the pricing for electrodes/rods pretty standard everywhere of is there a cheaper place to buy them? Any recommendations for or against specific brands?
    How big of material do you plan on welding? Your saying electrodes/rods so it sounds to me like you bought an ARC Welder. SWAW or FCAW use wire and or gas if necessary for the shielding.

Hopefully you got a MIG welder. I think that is the easiest to do in a home application.
    Flux core wire allows to use without a gas bottle. Got my wire from Princess Auto. Size based on application I was welding. Gone through maybe 2 tips in my time of welding. I did take the gas shield off mine just so I could see the weld a bit better as I was going.

Also keep your skin protected. Was welding outside in the summer with just mask and gloves. Got a nice sun burn on my arms. Lesson learned.

Work on laying down beads first. Try different methods, push and pull style. Test out the wire feed speed and other settings. If you can't get a constant arc, speed could be too slow.
    Make sure metal is clean too or it won't work. And that the ground is connected properly.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...-articles.html

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Hopefully you got a MIG welder. I think that is the easiest to do in a home application.
    Flux core wire allows to use without a gas bottle. Got my wire from Princess Auto. Size based on application I was welding. Gone through maybe 2 tips in my time of welding. I did take the gas shield off mine just so I could see the weld a bit better as I was going.

Also keep your skin protected. Was welding outside in the summer with just mask and gloves. Got a nice sun burn on my arms. Lesson learned.

Work on laying down beads first. Try different methods, push and pull style. Test out the wire feed speed and other settings. If you can't get a constant arc, speed could be too slow.
    Make sure metal is clean too or it won't work. And that the ground is connected properly.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...-articles.html
    OP bought an SMAW (stick) welder, not a MIG or flux-core.

^ correct. My first project is going to be a racing motion simulator frame similar to this:

Name:  elements.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  30.9 KB

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

^ correct. My first project is going to be a racing motion simulator frame similar to this:

Name:  elements.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  30.9 KB
    Stick will be far to much for that. A good 110v mig with gas will to far better and if you use a 220v version.

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Stick will be far to much for that. A good 110v mig with gas will to far better and if you use a 220v version.
    Not sure what you mean by "far to much". Weld won't be strong enough? I need to support about 300lbs max.

This is the welder I bought to start : https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...er/A-p8538902e

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Not sure what you mean by "far to much". Weld won't be strong enough? I need to support about 300lbs max.

This is the welder I bought to start : https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...er/A-p8538902e
    Stick welders are generally used for heavy duty use or extreme uses. For everything that you want to be doing all you need is a mig welder with gas. Mig is also MUCH MUCH more forging and easier to learn than a stick especially for a beginner.

So spend a little more on one of these? https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...er/A-p8538886e

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

So spend a little more on one of these? https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...er/A-p8538886e
    To be honest I'd look at Kijii for a used one. You can pick up good units with no issues for cheap as I picked up a 110v Hobart 140 a few years back for $220.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

I have one I will sell cheap like $100
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Learning to weld on a cheap PA machine can be a little frustrating. I second the idea to get a used Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart MIG, preferably with gas. Then treat yourself to an auto-darkening helmet. I think trying to build that with a PA stick welder - especially for a first project - will be an exercise in frustration. A workbench and welding cart are the textbook first projects to get in to welding and fab, simple and they don't have to be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by legendboy View Post
    Cool, PM'ed you.

Thanks for the guidance guys.
    I like a good Kijiji hunt, so will likely heed the advice and return the PA unit.

My Ride
    Trucks

I used this website when I first started out with my TIG. Lots of great videos and a good forum.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Cool, PM'ed you.

Thanks for the guidance guys.
    I like a good Kijiji hunt, so will likely heed the advice and return the PA unit.
    Also while possible if you are planning on doing aluminum that requires a whole other setup with a welder.

Dude learn MIG first. I have heard aluminum is a whole other ball game.

Can you tell if used rigs have been abused or not cooled off properly? Any signs to look for? This is for my own knowledge.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by legendboy View Post
    You got any HF TIG setups you want to unload for cheap too?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast