Quantcast
The US of A Shooting Mega-Thread - Page 20 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast

Thread: The US of A Shooting Mega-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 95EagleAWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They aren’t. Car crashes used to kill a lot more people in the USA. They made cars safer, and deaths went down.

Sin taxes, and education are all in effect right now to combat rising obesity. Michelle Obama was CRUCIFIED for trying to introduce healthier lunches into schools.

Smoking rate has gone down, probably because of education and taxes.

They aren’t even trying anything with guns.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Sums it up nicely, and kinda what I was saying
    Last edited by 95EagleAWD; 08-07-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Why are we talking about suicide by guns when talking about mass shootings. Its not even realivant to the conversation. Furthermore, there is absolutely ZERO correlation of total suicides and guncontrol. For example, Japan. Ranked #1 in gun control but suicide is the leading cause of death among men aged 20-44.

People will kill themselves regardless of access to firearms. The "gun related deaths" statistic should completely ignore these numbers.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    Why are we talking about suicide by guns when talking about mass shootings. Its not even realivant to the conversation. Furthermore, there is absolutely ZERO correlation of total suicides and guncontrol. For example, Japan. Ranked #1 in gun control but suicide is the leading cause of death among men aged 20-44.

People will kill themselves regardless of access to firearms. The "gun related deaths" statistic should completely ignore these numbers.
    Bigger numbers means more fuel for gun grabbers
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Bigger numbers means more fuel for gun grabbers
    The number of mass shootings in the past decade is fuel enough.

Neil Degrasse Tyson does not understand, and is completely tone deaf because there is not a severe serious consequence to inaction to violence. To him, there is no North Korea waiting to explode a nuke over the USA that could be seen from California to New York. I can pretty much say, that without doubt Neil DeGrasse Tyson is literally one of the most selfish and ugly Americans that ever existed, and a terrible human.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    Neil Degrasse Tyson does not understand, and is completely tone deaf because there is not a severe serious consequence to inaction to violence. To him, there is no North Korea waiting to explode a nuke over the USA that could be seen from California to New York. I can pretty much say, that without doubt Neil DeGrasse Tyson is literally one of the most selfish and ugly Americans that ever existed, and a terrible human.
    k

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post

Because it helps with the anti-gun narrative to skew the data as much as possible with irrelevant or ambiguous statistics. Same reason people use "mass shooting" statistics that include gang violence, suicides, and illegally obtained firearms. In the school shooting discussions you had people citing statistics that included accidental discharges of weapons near schools with zero injuries, and suicides in abandoned school parking lots. Anything to exaggerate the severity of it all.

Mass shootings, as most people think of them and the kind that this thread is about (random at a mall, school, or whatever) are incredibly rare relative to the population of the USA even though everyone can agree that one is too many. It's one of those things that is so rare overall that we just deal with it, just like we do dozens of other things that are far more dangerous and kill way more people annually. Further, they are in general rather ineffective - the deaths in what are "fish in a barrel" scenarios most of the time are surprisingly low (not downplaying the tragedy, I am just highlighting how difficult it is to be effective in these scenarios). If we banned or restricted everything that killed a minuscule fraction of the population every year, the list would be endless.

You'll notice the anti-gun crowd aren't making similar threads or advocating for safer practices surrounding literally anything else that kill way more people annually. I also think most people here agree it would be nice to see more standardized gun control in the USA, perhaps starting with background checks that actually work, but no matter what you are never going to prevent every single event so long as there are mentally unstable people around.

My Ride
    ute

My guess is that someone in the States in a similar situation to me (ie, suburban white dude with no involvement in crime, and no gun in the house) is at a very similar risk to gun violence compared to me here in Canada.
    Last edited by Buster; 08-07-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Sums it up nicely, and kinda what I was saying

This pathetic excuse for a comedian should just stick to poor taste inaccurate Trump jokes. Where does this notion that "nobody is trying" come from when the talk about guns comes up? In the mind of Lefties, if guns aren't completely banned, then nobody is trying. They have a number of different laws relating to firearms acquisition depending what state you live in, background checks, and even have an entire federal agency called the ATF that exists to try and prevent illegal firearms(the ones that mainly matter if trying to prevent crime or shootings).

I actually find it rather hypocritical of the left to say that nothing is being done or nobody is trying. When the one idea comes up that might actually prevent the severity or occurrence of these shootings(placing armed guards or security at schools), people scream bloody murder about turning our schools into warzones. Go figure that Noah wants to compare mass shootings to traffic accidents. For some reason he is fine with driving controls like a speed limit, which serve virtually zero purpose in preventing collisions, and only exist as an attempt to decrease the damage in the event an accident occurs. But apply the same concept to shootings and he thinks it's a bad idea.
    Last edited by Misterman; 08-07-2019 at 02:23 PM.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    depending what state you live in,
    And there's the problem. If I can't buy a gun in New Mexico because of something I did, but I can in California, what's the point of the New Mexico law?

Gun control has to happen at a FEDERAL level, like it has in Canada, or it is an ineffective way of cutting down on gun crime.

And there's the problem. If I can't buy a gun in New Mexico because of something I did, but I can in California, what's the point of the New Mexico law?

Gun control has to happen at a FEDERAL level, like it has in Canada, or it is an ineffective way of cutting down on gun crime.

That is still a far cry from trying to accuse the entire country of doing nothing.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

That is still a far cry from trying to accuse the entire country of doing nothing.
    Not really. The federal government hasn’t passed any legislation in favour of controlling guns.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Anyone else think Misterman is HighTemp?

Also, what has Congress done?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Not really. The federal government hasn’t passed any legislation in favour of controlling guns.
    Isnt that against their constitution or something? Its all delegated to the state level - ie the STATES have to come together to agree on similar standards (for background checks as well as cross-state rules).

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post

Yep

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Isnt that against their constitution or something? Its all delegated to the state level - ie the STATES have to come together to agree on similar standards (for background checks as well as cross-state rules).
    Don’t think so. You can’t import an R34 Skyline anywhere (as an example of a federally banned thing.)

The federal government certainly could come up with one system that every state uses for background checks and whatnot.

It's true, the government is doing fuck all to prevent these tragedies.

I actually find it rather hypocritical of the left to say that nothing is being done or nobody is trying. When the one idea comes up that might actually prevent the severity or occurrence of these shootings(placing armed guards or security at schools), people scream bloody murder about turning our schools into warzones.
    Suggesting to add more armed guards/teachers everywhere is not going to help. look how useful that was at the Parkland shooting
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48521988

at the very least they could come up with common sense (universal, country-wide, standardized) background checks or even the "red flag" stuff but good luck getting Moscow Mitch to bring anything up in the Senate.
    Last edited by sabad66; 08-07-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post

Where'd you come up with that one? I'm not in here calling the mods faggots, and anyone who doesn't agree with me a retard. Geeze, first I'm accused of being left of the lefties Gestalt or Toma. Now I'm accused of being right wing nutjob HiTemp. You have a rich imagination, I'll give you that. It would be rather funny though to think that HiTemp was on here arguing with himself from two different accounts. Logging in and out every 10 minutes to post retorts in a big effort to confuse you all and hide his true identity.

I don't know why you're trying to change the goal posts now? What does congress have to do with whether anybody has been trying to solve this issue? Every state has some form of gun laws they abide by. Ironically the toughest gun law states suffer the most gun violence. But what would you have congress do if you feel they are the only entity that matters in regards to solving the mass shooting problem? If congress is going to solve anything, first step is to amend the constitution. That in itself is a pretty big endeavor for something that amounts to a statistical insignificance in the big scheme of things. But let's pretend they did change the constitution to control firearms at a federal level. Then what? What changes should be made? Gun laws only apply to legal firearms, which means virtually all gun crime is unaffected by any legal changes. Maybe they could make any illegal gun charges punishable by death? This might make criminals think twice before dabbling in the illegal gun trade. But then again, most mass shooters kill themselves when they're done anyway, so it's unlikely a stiff penalty would deter them.
    Last edited by Misterman; 08-08-2019 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post

Suggesting to add more armed guards/teachers everywhere is not going to help. look how useful that was at the Parkland shooting
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48521988

at the very least they could come up with common sense (universal, country-wide, standardized) background checks or even the "red flag" stuff but good luck getting Moscow Mitch to bring anything up in the Senate.

So is that how we look at it? It didn't work that one time where it was poorly implemented, so just forget the idea completely? How about all the times it did work? How many shooters have targeted specific areas that were gun free to go on their rampage?

I agree that some country wide rules could be beneficial.

Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast