Quantcast
The US of A Shooting Mega-Thread - Page 16 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast

Thread: The US of A Shooting Mega-Thread

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

A weird and unfortuante incident in which an off-duty officer apparently enters the wrong apartment thinking it was hers, sees someone and kills them assuming she was being burglarized.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...estions-remain

Quite a few questions arise for me.

I thought off-duty police couldn't wear their uniforms home? Maybe someone can clarify, but from a hygiene and liability standpoint, I thought officers had to change out of their uniforms when they're not working.

In her arresting affidavit, Guyger claimed that the room was completely dark when she encountered and shot Jean, and that it wasn't until after she turned on the lights that she realized she was in the wrong apartment. This brings up the question of training, as it seems awfully reckless for an armed officer to not identify what they're shooting at before shooting.

Now, the Dallas PD announced they executed a search warrant in Jean's apartment and found drug paraphanelia. This leading to accusations from the public that the Dallas PD is intentionally trying to smear the character of Jean, an immigrant from St Lucia working as a risk assurance associate at PriceWaterhouse Cooper.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A weird and unfortuante incident in which an off-duty officer apparently enters the wrong apartment thinking it was hers, sees someone and kills them assuming she was being burglarized.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...estions-remain

Quite a few questions arise for me.

I thought off-duty police couldn't wear their uniforms home? Maybe someone can clarify, but from a hygiene and liability standpoint, I thought officers had to change out of their uniforms when they're not working.

In her arresting affidavit, Guyger claimed that the room was completely dark when she encountered and shot Jean, and that it wasn't until after she turned on the lights that she realized she was in the wrong apartment. This brings up the question of training, as it seems awfully reckless for an armed officer to not identify what they're shooting at before shooting.

Now, the Dallas PD announced they executed a search warrant in Jean's apartment and found drug paraphanelia. This leading to accusations from the public that the Dallas PD is intentionally trying to smear the character of Jean, an immigrant from St Lucia working as a risk assurance associate at PriceWaterhouse Cooper.
    One of the primary "4" rules of shooting/engaging is to identify your target before pressing the trigger, however in low/no light situations it might not always happen this way. Even if you have a white light in your hand or mounted on your weapon, at close contact range in low light there might not be time to activate it especially if you're surprised by the threat. Identifying the threat or target first is optimal, but again in low/no light there certainly can and will be situations where firing on/engaging a threat could be necessary before ID can be established.

This particularly shooting, I've been following it as well. It made me remember when I lived in a large/high apt building in downtown Calgary when I first moved to Calgary in 1994. Coming home after a night on electric ave (the old Keg there = good times), I too got off on the wrong floor once. All the rooms just had 1 through 10/whatever numbers, no differentiation from floor to floor, so if you got off on the wrong floor it wasn't immediately obvious you weren't at "your" door, as the floor pretty much all looked identical. Not sure if this is the same layout as this officer's building, but after a long shift, tired, distracted, whatever, I can believe it's plausible that you could walk into the wrong apartment IF the door is unlocked. I could see it playing out like that - officer tries key, it doesn't fit quite right, yet the door is open, making her think there is something wrong or someone had forced 'her" lock/door. Then she enters in the dark, guy thinks HE is being home invaded, and grabs her, or yells, whatever, making her freak out and engage. Just thinking from both sides, I do think this is a pretty big lapse in judgement on the officer's part.

So far as the drug paraphernalia, the man was a pretty devout man of faith from the accounts so far, a minister/pastor in fact, and the drug found was MJ, 10 grams which is 1/3 of an oz, personal use amount. The dept said in its press release that the MJ found was in "ziplock bags", plural - perhaps the family felt that this was an attempt to make it look like he was distributing/dealing/whatever, but it's just as likely this was exactly how the investigators found it. I realize what with the blue wall and all the negativity about L/E in the media it's easier now for the public to immediately think "cover up", but I think it's exceedingly unlikely that in a case like this which will have such a large spotlight pointed at it, than another officer(s) would be crazy enough to try and do something, anything at all, that would look like they were messing with evidence deliberately.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 09-16-2018 at 10:33 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Back when I lived downtown, I’ve gotten on the wrong floor, unlocked the door (somehow key worked) and walked into the bedroom and scared the shit out of random dude that lived there. It happens often.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/08/us/th...man/index.html

Thousand Oaks California, 12 dead.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    Coincidentally (or not) that's where a lot of the local people who were at the Las Vegas concert shooting last year also gather to hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post
    Coincidentally (or not) that's where a lot of the local people who were at the Las Vegas concert shooting last year also gather to hang out.
    I read that too. Not as surprising I guess when you consider both were music events and the proximity of Thousand Oaks to Vegas - it's probably a popular weekend trip for them.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I read that too. Not as surprising I guess when you consider both were music events and the proximity of Thousand Oaks to Vegas - it's probably a popular weekend trip for them.
    I couldn't imagine going through the first shooting in Vegas, then be out 13 months later and be like "Fuck, again?"

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Didn't expect to ever read a headline about a mass shooting at a garlic festival. Very sad.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/07/28/us/....google.com%2F

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

210 days into 2019 and there have already been 246 mass shootings.

What a time to be alive. For now.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    210 days into 2019 and there have already been 246 mass shootings.

What a time to be alive. For now.
    What is 'mass' shooting? Has the definition stayed consistent ?

What has the historical average of defined mass shootings, per capita, been?

Reason I ask questions is because the corporate mass media love to project increased fear and danger - when in many instances the per capita cases may have been actually decreasing long term.

For eg. "CAR CRASHES WENT UP LAST YEAR 20%", but the number of vehicles in the road also went up the same amount. The BS MSM loves to not mention this.
    Last edited by revelations; 07-29-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    What is 'mass' shooting? Has the definition stayed consistent ?

What has the historical average of defined mass shootings, per capita, been?

Reason I ask questions is because the corporate mass media love to project increased fear and danger - when in many instances the per capita cases may have been actually decreasing long term.

For eg. "CAR CRASHES WENT UP LAST YEAR 20%", but the number of vehicles in the road also went up the same amount. The BS MSM loves to not mention this.
    The same purposely vague stats get regurgitated after every shooting and the definitions they use have them grossly inflated in terms of what the average person thinks of when they hear the words "mass shooting". The vast majority are gang related and/or not random. Same thing with school shootings - they even counted school shootings where literally nobody was present except the shooter shooting himself in an abandoned school parking lot, or when a gun accidentally goes off near a school, just to sensationalize the statistics. Someone did the math before but once you take out all the "noise" from gang related crimes, etc. you are left with single digits or thereabouts. One is too many, obviously, but mental health issues have never been well addressed in the USA and with ~325M people there are going to be a fair amount of crazies in there.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    The same purposely vague stats get regurgitated after every shooting and the definitions they use have them grossly inflated in terms of what the average person thinks of when they hear the words "mass shooting". The vast majority are gang related and/or not random. Same thing with school shootings - they even counted school shootings where literally nobody was present except the shooter shooting himself in an abandoned school parking lot, or when a gun accidentally goes off near a school, just to sensationalize the statistics. Someone did the math before but once you take out all the "noise" from gang related crimes, etc. you are left with single digits or thereabouts. One is too many, obviously, but mental health issues have never been well addressed in the USA and with ~325M people there are going to be a fair amount of crazies in there.
    From what I understand, the vast percentage of deaths related to shootings are hand gun related.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    From what I understand, the vast percentage of deaths related to shootings are hand gun related.
    Yup, the gang violence (which makes up the bulk of the stats people like to project onto tragedies such as this one) are most often carried out with illegally obtained hand guns from everything I have read anyway. Your average gangster isn't carrying around an AR15.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Be careful, most gang shootings in the US are perpetrated by black men, therefore, you are racist.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Another one, this time in El Paso at a mall:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/03/u...ThkEnXlAYtLrOc
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Another one, this time in El Paso at a mall:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/03/u...ThkEnXlAYtLrOc
    Another white man shooting up a public place you mean?

It really is crazy and ironic how 5 years ago the fear was that Muslims would be the ones shooting everything up over here.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Second one in Ohio. Damn.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-mass-shooting

All over the tv here in Germany.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Took less than a minute to kill 9 people. Damn.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Just woke up to this... so far I'm reading reports that it was yet another lone gunman white guy...

The easiest solution I think would be for Trump to just put a moratorium on selling guns to white men... you know, "until we figure out what the hell is going on here first".

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

This will probably stir the pot big time in the US for more gun control. I always wondered just how big of a civil uprising there would be if somehow they went above the 2nd amendment and tried stripping people of guns...

Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast