Quantcast
2019 Mercedes Benz A Hatchback Coming to Canada. CONFIRMED - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Mercedes Benz A Hatchback Coming to Canada. CONFIRMED

Mercedes has a "private" sales event coming up, up to $4000 off A-class and 2.99% lease. Am I right to assume you could get that any day of the week, or are these 'sales' actually legit? Anytime a dealership has an event, I am immediately highly suspicious.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The one good thing about an event is often they have a quota of cars to sell. Come in at end of the sale when they are close to hitting quota, tell them you will buy a car today if they can get the price right.

Aside from that I doubt it’s anything really special.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I can *almost* do that now, but there are a few turns I think mostly near Red Deer that are slightly too sharp for lane keep haha. The rest of the way works just fine with no driver input. Too bad you can't get the full autonomous drive package on the A - maybe in later MY's.

Yeah the transmission was the only disappointing part for me, and it wasn't that bad - just not as good as other similarly priced vehicles. It seemed to rev-match the downshifts too but only really when you were driving spiritedly - a downshift when driving slow felt like a traditional automatic still.

I tried switching between comfort and sport and if there is any suspension difference it's very subtle - I don't think it changes it at all though based on what I've been reading (so far). The steering tightens up and throttle/transmission mapping changes though so some of it was probably in my head. I feel like even the DCT in the old B class was better, but it's been a while since I've driven one.

It still rode amazing and felt like a much bigger car in terms of the ride and stability - I would like a little stiffer suspension for "spirited" driving though and something adjustable would be perfect - comfort for commute, sport for fun. It was not a big deal either way, it still handled perfectly fine for 99% of any driving I would ever do with it.

Yeah with all that tech I am rather shocked it doesn't have lane keep (or similar) or walk-away door locks - both features found on econoboxes these days and both some of my most used and most appreciated features currently. The app is cool though and as rage mentioned it notifies you if you forgot to lock the car and remote locking is pretty sweet. OTA firmware updates are also neat.

The one I test drove didn't have AR Nav, nor would I buy one with it just because I use AA and Google Maps 100% of the time, but it is a super cool feature no doubt. The tech in the car overall is really excellent. I wasn't able to hear the Burmester sound system either but I assume it's more than adequate.

The salesman also said it was full time AWD but I am pretty sure it is FWD with the ability to send up to 50% of the power to the rear. I think in the AMG cars it sends power 50/50 whenever you get on the gas, but I am not sure if the basic 4MATIC does that.

MB website says Spring 2020 for the A35, not sure about A45.
    Thanks for the info! Been watching the A series closely and an A45 would be a nice switch for the S3.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Mercedes has a "private" sales event coming up, up to $4000 off A-class and 2.99% lease. Am I right to assume you could get that any day of the week, or are these 'sales' actually legit? Anytime a dealership has an event, I am immediately highly suspicious.
    Well, any day of the week in September haha. If you want to push your luck, waiting till October will be even cheaper if there's enough stock (lone star has 2 hatch's left so probably not worth it). Even the existing stock shows those deals, it's the typical year end trunk money and rate incentives. You also missed the 3 payments waived incentive on finance/lease.

But yea, if you want the deal now, you can do it today and not wait till Thursday.

edit - 1 new 1 demo left at Lone Star. 2 demos at downtown. 8 new in country hills.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Well, any day of the week in September haha. If you want to push your luck, waiting till October will be even cheaper if there's enough stock (lone star has 2 hatch's left so probably not worth it). Even the existing stock shows those deals, it's the typical year end trunk money and rate incentives. You also missed the 3 payments waived incentive on finance/lease.

But yea, if you want the deal now, you can do it today and not wait till Thursday.

edit - 1 new 1 demo left at Lone Star. 2 demos at downtown. 8 new in country hills.
    Right - forgot about the first 3 payments, that was in the email, I missed it.

I don't think I can do anything that soon anyway so I will probably just wait for the MY2020's. Was hoping they might have the autonomous drive package as an option but it doesn't look like next year will get it either.

I was reading about the new GTI as well (apparently coming out next year as a 2021?) and the article said 300 HP (400HP for the R) and much needed technology upgrade - could be interesting. Might be too late though, I don't want to wait until end of next year if I can help it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I've been waiting on a 400hp GTI/R since I had my Mk5 haha. I couldn't believe when the R came out and actually saw a 300hp Golf in person. Never thought I'd see the day.

Don't hold your breath.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I've been waiting on a 400hp GTI/R since I had my Mk5 haha. I couldn't believe when the R came out and actually saw a 300hp Golf in person. Never thought I'd see the day.

Don't hold your breath.
    Oh ok haha - I didn't know it was a past rumor as well. If they did though, along with the updated tech, that would be a very interesting option if under $40K like the current GTI. A class will still have a better interior though I suspect, probably still better tech, and of course AWD.

My Ride
    Grimace

Don't hold your breath.
    The issue with the R is that even if it comes like that, while the price will be reasonable, they will leave so many things out for the NA version. I miss many of my creature comforts.
    I have finally seen a few of the a hatches around and they do look very good.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    The issue with the R is that even if it comes like that, while the price will be reasonable, they will leave so many things out for the NA version. I miss many of my creature comforts.
    I have finally seen a few of the a hatches around and they do look very good.
    The new MK7/7.5 was decently equipped with the same price range as the MK6 R, which was spartan compared to the Euro version.

Agreed; the A hatch is sexy and that interior is really nice.

My Ride
    A250

I totally forgot about this thread but I'll post my experience with the vehicle. I picked up my A250 in June from Downtown Mercedes and love the car but ran into multiple issues with it.

1. A week after delivery, I parked the vehicle in a surface lot over the lunch hour and my right screen malfunctioned. I have brought it into service multiple times but they can't replicate the problem and just run a software update when possible. This occurs consistently if you leave the car parked in the sun and owners in other forums have noted this is likely the graphics card shutting off due to overheating.

2. The interior LEDs are sleek and the vent lights turn red/blue as you adjust the temperature up/down. My centre vent lights occasionally malfunction and don't work at all.

3. First world problem but the trunk is manual. Probably didn't go through the options sheet well enough but we purchased every package besides NAV.

My previous car was a 2016 GLA250 and I think the A250 drives a lot better and the sport mode makes the car sound a lot better.

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    The new MK7/7.5 was decently equipped with the same price range as the MK6 R, which was spartan compared to the Euro version.

Agreed; the A hatch is sexy and that interior is really nice.
    I dislike the following on mine: no passenger power seat, no memory seats, no sunroof, no homelink, mine is early 18 so had to convert the arm rest to open, and only 1 usb. So it is just creature comforts mostly. Tech wise, it is well equipped though.

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    I dislike the following on mine: no passenger power seat, no memory seats, no sunroof, no homelink, mine is early 18 so had to convert the arm rest to open, and only 1 usb. So it is just creature comforts mostly. Tech wise, it is well equipped though.
    My dad is looking to downsize into retirement (selling his A6) so we looked at a loaded GTI for him the other weekend. It's badly in need of an update IMHO, but that is not surprising being at the end of it's ~6 year cycle. What stuck out to me was: Inefficient center console/storage area, no power passenger seat, no heated rear seats, no lane keep, no brake hold, no wireless charging, no digital dash/clusters, no heated steering wheel, manual E-brake, and probably a couple other minor things I'm forgetting. DSG and power-train though are tough to beat in the category. If the MY2021 addresses the tech/interior deficiencies (relative to the competition), it will once again be a very compelling option as per usual. And if it truly gets 300HP, that's icing on the cake especially if they can engineer it with zero torque steer.

Audi and BMW are asleep at the wheel it seems. The A3 needs an update and the hatch option back, and BMW doesn't even have anything with 4 doors in the segment.

My Ride
    Exploded.

My dad is looking to downsize into retirement (selling his A6) so we looked at a loaded GTI for him the other weekend. It's badly in need of an update IMHO, but that is not surprising being at the end of it's ~6 year cycle. What stuck out to me was: Inefficient center console/storage area, no power passenger seat, no heated rear seats, no lane keep, no brake hold, no wireless charging, no digital dash/clusters, no heated steering wheel, manual E-brake, and probably a couple other minor things I'm forgetting. DSG and power-train though are tough to beat in the category. If the MY2021 addresses the tech/interior deficiencies (relative to the competition), it will once again be a very compelling option as per usual. And if it truly gets 300HP, that's icing on the cake especially if they can engineer it with zero torque steer.

Audi and BMW are asleep at the wheel it seems. The A3 needs an update and the hatch option back, and BMW doesn't even have anything with 4 doors in the segment.
    You can't compare an A6 to a GTI so expectations should be different. Heated rear seats in a GTI is lawwwllzz

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    You can't compare an A6 to a GTI so expectations should be different. Heated rear seats in a GTI is lawwwllzz
    Huh? Nobody is comparing it to an A6, that isn't even part of the discussion. The options I listed are found on econoboxes these days, and very likely on the 2021 GTI - it's just short on tech because it's at the end of a ~6yr cycle.

Now that I think about it, the A6 doesn't even have some of those options haha, but that isn't relevant.

Even a Kia Forte and Hyndai Elantra has heated rears these days...
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-17-2019 at 01:38 PM.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Huh? Nobody is comparing it to an A6, that isn't even part of the discussion. The options I listed are found on econoboxes these days, and very likely on the 2021 GTI - it's just short on tech because it's at the end of a ~6yr cycle.

Now that I think about it, the A6 doesn't even have some of those options haha, but that isn't relevant.
    Sounds like it wasn't quite optioned out then, as my 2019 GTI has some of those features, like lane-keep, and brake-hold. I was holding off until the next gen GTI launched, but I got a killer deal on this one, and had a buddy buy me out of my lease on my 2016.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Sounds like it wasn't quite optioned out then, as my 2019 GTI has some of those features, like lane-keep, and brake-hold. I was holding off until the next gen GTI launched, but I got a killer deal on this one, and had a buddy buy me out of my lease on my 2016.
    It has lane departure, but I am pretty sure it does not have lane keep - lane keep can keep the car dead center in a lane even through turns without driver intervention. If I missed that though I'm happy to be corrected, but I am pretty sure it doesn't have it. Salesperson said it didn't and I couldn't find it.

Didn't notice the brake hold (not to be confused with hill assist) - if it has that, great - again, salesperson said it didn't have it and I couldn't see where to enable it. I use that ALL the time and I love it. A-class had it too.

I like a lot about the GTI but knowing it's getting a major overhaul soon it would bother me too much to get a MY2019. I love tech though - that is a huge selling point for me personally.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-17-2019 at 01:41 PM.

My Ride
    06 S2000

It has lane departure, but I am pretty sure it does not have lane keep - lane keep can keep the car dead center in a lane even through turns without driver intervention. If I missed that though I'm happy to be corrected, but I am pretty sure it doesn't have it. Salesperson said it didn't and I couldn't find it. Didn't notice the brake hold - if it has that, great - again, salesperson said it didn't have it and I couldn't see where to enable it.
    Ah, I haven't tested the lane departure to that extent. It will definitely center the car, and make adjustments. And it has hill hold at least, if that's not brake hold. Honestly, what cars in that price range have those features? When I was looking, I was cross shopping with things like the WRX and the Civic SI, and I don't remember either of those having those features.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Ah, I haven't tested the lane departure to that extent. It will definitely center the car, and make adjustments. And it has hill hold at least, if that's not brake hold. Honestly, what cars in that price range have those features? When I was looking, I was cross shopping with things like the WRX and the Civic SI, and I don't remember either of those having those features.
    Yeah it's confusing for sure, lane departure, lane keep, break hold, hill assist, etc. all sound like they could be the same thing and every manufacturer uses different terms.

Lane departure, if you let go of the wheel, would typically let you bounce between the lines or just give you some sort of audible and/or tactile warning when the car is drifting over a line. Lane keep will keep you dead center between the lines and steer the car around corners, all the while keeping it in the center of the lane still, without driver intervention. It's like semi-autonomous driving and it is amazing on boring highway trips, such as Edmonton, and a nice safety net if you lose concentration momentarily. Most cars I have seen just have lane departure.

What brake hold does is hold your car in place automatically anytime you come to a complete stop, and doesn't let go until you press the gas. This is awesome at stop lights so you can bring your knees up and give your legs a break, especially with a manual transmission where you would normally be in neutral at that time. If a car has that it likely also has hill assist, as it's just an evolution of the same system as far as I know. I don't think I've seen it on any cars that still use a mechanical e-brake.

Many of the popular econobox type cars from the last few years have all or most of the features I mentioned, including the Kia Forte, Hyundai Elantra, Honda Fit, Honda Civic, etc. The Si you drove would have had everything but the heated rears. Haven't been in a WRX for a while so I can't comment on that one.

What bugs me is when I don't even see these features on $50K++ cars, when in theory it should just be a line or two of code to enable it given that they already have the hardware to make it all work (lane cameras, radar units, etc.) With ~6 years between major refreshes becoming the norm these days though, it's not hard to see how certain models can fall pretty far behind the tech curve until their next redesign.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-17-2019 at 02:05 PM.

My Ride
    LNF

It has lane departure, but I am pretty sure it does not have lane keep - lane keep can keep the car dead center in a lane even through turns without driver intervention. If I missed that though I'm happy to be corrected, but I am pretty sure it doesn't have it. Salesperson said it didn't and I couldn't find it.

Didn't notice the brake hold (not to be confused with hill assist) - if it has that, great - again, salesperson said it didn't have it and I couldn't see where to enable it. I use that ALL the time and I love it. A-class had it too.

I like a lot about the GTI but knowing it's getting a major overhaul soon it would bother me too much to get a MY2019. I love tech though - that is a huge selling point for me personally.
    The GTI has lane keep, I can drive down the Henday with no hands on the wheel and the car will keep in its lane without intervention. Another cool feature that the GTI has that the competition does not have is the self parking.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    The GTI has lane keep, I can drive down the Henday with no hands on the wheel and the car will keep in its lane without intervention. Another cool feature that the GTI has that the competition does not have is the self parking.
    Will it steer you around corners, while keeping the car dead center in the lane through the corner? If so that's great, I really didn't think it had that and the salesperson said it didn't have that. Most of the systems will just bounce between the lines, even though they technically don't need driver input, it looks like you're driving drunk haha.

It does actually look like it has it, or at least a version of it called "adaptive lane guidance", as a separate system to lane keep assist:

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/...ne-assist-3666

The self parking is cool. I think the A-Class has it as a standalone option, but the cheaper cars mentioned here do not to my knowledge. Seems like something that would be so easy to add to a car that already has the sensors, cameras, and autonomous steering required for other features.

The other thing I would really miss that I am finding most new cars still don't have is automatic door locking when you walk away from the car. Again, that has got to be nothing more than a few lines of code for any car with a proximity key (which is almost every car these days).
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-17-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast