Quantcast
Ireland - Anyone been? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Ireland - Anyone been?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Default Ireland - Anyone been?

My work is sending me to Ireland for two weeks. I'll have about 3 days in the middle to check out things, will have a car to get around. First week I will be around Kilkenny (about 90 mins south of Dublin) Second week I'll be around Limerick. I guess I can decide where I want to be between the two but probably stick to around Dublin unless theres something cooler to do?

I cannot drink beer as im allergic to Barley so no Beer tours for me and I dont really like whiskey...
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Do you like redheads? Have a few of them!
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    My work is sending me to Ireland for two weeks. I'll have about 3 days in the middle to check out things, will have a car to get around. First week I will be around Kilkenny (about 90 mins south of Dublin) Second week I'll be around Limerick. I guess I can decide where I want to be between the two but probably stick to around Dublin unless theres something cooler to do?

I cannot drink beer as im allergic to Barley so no Beer tours for me and I dont really like whiskey...
    One website might be all you need:

https://www.wildatlanticway.com/home

The drive from Cork all the way up through Donegal is one of the best drives in the world IMO (Irish roads and drivers notwithstanding, from a landscape perspective anyway). If you can make the time to do all of it, I'd definitely recommend it (would be amitious, and still leave you a ways from Dublin), but even if you can only get the SW corner done you wouldn't regret it. The Kerry/Galway/Cork triangle of the country has no shortage of things to do and see (beyond the Cliffs of Moher and the Blarney Stone, if those are on your bucket list at all).

Dublin is more of a 'one day' city IMO. Kilmainham Gaol, a 1917 tour, and a walk down O'Connell street to Temple Bar to Trinity College and you've basically done the main tourist stuff. After that it's looking for stuff you're interested in. Keep an eye out for what sporting events are going on (seeing a GAA game in Croke Park is pretty cool, even though the stadium wouldn't be full for any game this time of year). But I think the best parts of Ireland are the non-Dublin ones myself so I'd recommend hanging out on the west coast as much as you can.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Tried to talk an Irish gal into showing me the wild Atlantic way and let me tell you she did not appreciate it. Tread with caution for those firey redheads!
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Was there a long time ago, mostly in the Dublin area but the most memorable moments were a visit to a tremendous castle in the country and wandering around a cemetery with headstones that are hundreds and hundreds of years old. The history is really quite something if you're into that.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    One website might be all you need:

https://www.wildatlanticway.com/home

The drive from Cork all the way up through Donegal is one of the best drives in the world IMO (Irish roads and drivers notwithstanding, from a landscape perspective anyway). If you can make the time to do all of it, I'd definitely recommend it (would be amitious, and still leave you a ways from Dublin), but even if you can only get the SW corner done you wouldn't regret it. The Kerry/Galway/Cork triangle of the country has no shortage of things to do and see (beyond the Cliffs of Moher and the Blarney Stone, if those are on your bucket list at all).

Dublin is more of a 'one day' city IMO. Kilmainham Gaol, a 1917 tour, and a walk down O'Connell street to Temple Bar to Trinity College and you've basically done the main tourist stuff. After that it's looking for stuff you're interested in. Keep an eye out for what sporting events are going on (seeing a GAA game in Croke Park is pretty cool, even though the stadium wouldn't be full for any game this time of year). But I think the best parts of Ireland are the non-Dublin ones myself so I'd recommend hanging out on the west coast as much as you can.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    Lease

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Do you like redheads? Have a few of them!
    Do most of them live in Pound town, Ireland?

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

There are a ton of toll roads in Ireland - the only places I've been to where I think I've see more toll roads are Japan (pretty much every highway is tolled) and Singapore (with the ERP). I did day tours by bus from Dublin the 5 nights I was there, so I'm not sure what the costs of the tolls are, but there are plenty of them. Day tours were very affordable in the Republic of Ireland/Northern Ireland compared to ones I've been on in England and Scotland. My experience was that things in the Republic of Ireland were much more affordable than in the UK, with the exception of restaurant meals, which were comparable in price to England/Scotland.

Limerick is about an hours drive from the Cliffs of Moher, which are certainly worth checking out.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Anything change in the last 4 years?

I'm going next week. Renting a car in Dublin and driving anti-clockwise to Galway and around the south back up to Dublin, 8 days total. I think I have a pretty good plan laid out, but if there's any hidden gems along the way y'all personally know about, let me know.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Z

I would go clockwise the tour buses go counterclockwise and they will be very hard to pass. Belfast is awesome. Good luck getting food if you eat late like me. I was there in August
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter