Quantcast
Stock Market Drop 2018 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stock Market Drop 2018

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default Stock Market Drop 2018

So... anyone want to try and explain this to me?

From my readings, it seems to have a lot to do with FED decisions and what not, but I really don't get it. Strong economy, booming finances, annnndddddd the stock market is taking a shit kicking.

Is this just a pullback from the first time ever 5,000 point increase in a single year for the DOW and should be expected?

“Be Fearful When Others Are Greedy and Greedy When Others Are Fearful”

― Warren Buffett

We have been due for a correction for a long time. Stocks all over the place are WAY overvalued, the Shiller PE ratio has reached unsustainable values that haven't been seen for 150 years.
    Warren Buffett is sitting on $100bil in cash waiting. Mimic the Guru's.

Start loading up a cash position an wait.

stock market tripled in 8 years. Isn't that reason enough?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 01:37 AM.

My Ride
    Infiniti Ex35

So.... if I got into the market a month ago, I’m pretty much screwed! Hold and wait, I guess

Bond rates going up. The spectre of "inflation" is rearing its head. Oooh, 2%...

And oh no, the S&P 500 is back down to where it was... At the start of December 2017! What a "correction"...

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bond rates going up. The spectre of "inflation" is rearing its head. Oooh, 2%...

And oh no, the S&P 500 is back down to where it was... At the start of December 2017! What a "correction"...

Bond yields? Ummm...

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post

I don't get this either... don't you want to purchase things sooner (such as stocks) if inflation is occurring, as your dollar has more purchasing power now than later? So why do stocks get driven down?

And what's so magical about 2%? That's what the target is, correct? And isn't raising interest rates GOOD for the economy? Financials institutions have been bitching non-stop that they can't make money in this "low-interest rate" environment... so shouldn't everyone be thrilled?

This is why I am confused, its like there was a flip switched late last week. 4 months ago it was still all "world economy is meh", then about 1-2 months ago it was "USA is actually doing pretty well..." and now its flipped to "everything is fucked even though the economy is almost as strong as it possibly can be!"

My Ride
    NC1

It's on sale! buy more! Dollar cost average! Unless you are betting on America disappearing lol

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    I don't get this either... don't you want to purchase things sooner (such as stocks) if inflation is occurring, as your dollar has more purchasing power now than later? So why do stocks get driven down?

And what's so magical about 2%? That's what the target is, correct? And isn't raising interest rates GOOD for the economy? Financials institutions have been bitching non-stop that they can't make money in this "low-interest rate" environment... so shouldn't everyone be thrilled?

This is why I am confused, its like there was a flip switched late last week. 4 months ago it was still all "world economy is meh", then about 1-2 months ago it was "USA is actually doing pretty well..." and now its flipped to "everything is fucked even though the economy is almost as strong as it possibly can be!"
    Here's a good article from behind G&M's paywall that explains it:

The stock market had a long overdue freakout Monday. Be grateful.

As an investor, protracted stretches of prosperity should make you nervous. We've seen that in the globally dominant U.S. stock market, where the S&P 500 stock index of big companies averaged returns of almost 16 per cent annually over the five years to Dec. 31 in U.S. dollars. That's pretty much double what the optimistic experts expect for the years ahead.

The market plunge Monday shows people are getting appropriately worried about all this good fortune. The official explanation for the sudden afternoon implosion was that investors are concerned about the risk of rising inflation bringing a jolt of higher interest rates. But what really happened was this: Investors have begun to contemplate the end of the current bull market and they panicked.

Don't make the same mistake yourself. The markets are likely to be ornery for the next while, but there's no need for radical surgery on properly diversified portfolios of stocks, bonds and cash that you're holding for the long term. Think about strategically adding stocks, not subtracting. After any big market decline, put a little money into quality stocks or exchange-traded funds and mutual funds that hold them.

Monday afternoon was one of those scary days when the stock market loses hundreds of points with every click of the refresh button on your web browser. We haven't seen the likes of it since the winter of 2009.

There are some similarities between that period and today, but don't get carried away with the past-is-prologue narrative. We've had some speculative excess lately, exemplified by bitcoin and marijuana stocks. But the underlying economy and global financial system today is improving, not decaying like it was in the later 2000s.

The usual trigger for a bear market in stocks is a recession. So why are stocks falling when we have the opposite conditions in the economy? It's because investors are starting to realize what a growing economy means – rising inflation and rising interest rates.

Rates fell to historic lows in the financial crisis and have only recently started to rebound in a serious way. Low rates make investors turn away from bonds and guaranteed investment deposits, and embrace stocks. With rates rising, stocks are less attractive. Rising rates also increase the cost for companies raising money by selling bonds, and that will weigh on the profit increases investors demand.

The Canadian stock market got off somewhat more lightly than the big U.S. indices on Monday, but that's only because domestic stocks have massively underperformed in recent years. The resource stocks that make up about 30 per cent of our market have been holding us back with their weak returns. Ironically, the inflation threat that so rocked the markets on Monday could actually be good for commodity prices.

Two lessons for investors emerge from all of this uproar. One is that in a market rout, the blue-chip dividend stocks gulped down by so many people in recent years get savaged like anything else. In the S&P/TSX 60 index of big blue-chips, banks were among the biggest losers on Thursday.

Another lesson is that the outlook for bonds is a lot more complex than people have thought lately. Rising rates have been turning investors against bonds, because the price of bonds and bond funds falls as rates move higher. But in the stock market plunge, money flowed into both U.S. and Canadian government bonds.

Cash is arguably the best safe harbour for money now. With rates rising, it's possible now to get 1.15 per cent on an investment savings account that you can buy just like a mutual fund for most any investment account. Overall, that's lame. But if you want a safe vantage point from which to drop money into future market declines, cash makes some sense right now.

To be clear, cash is for new money. Don't sell quality stocks and funds that have served you well in hopes of skipping market carnage ahead. If that's your inclination, there is absolutely no way you're going to have the fortitude to buy stocks as they topple.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    “Be Fearful When Others Are Greedy and Greedy When Others Are Fearful”

― Warren Buffett

We have been due for a correction for a long time. Stocks all over the place are WAY overvalued, the Shiller PE ratio has reached unsustainable values that haven't been seen for 150 years.
    Warren Buffett is sitting on $100bil in cash waiting. Mimic the Guru's.

Start loading up a cash position an wait.
    Good stuff. Where you at Phil Town's on the weekend? :-)

Trump said "death" when referring to the democrats. May have been a trigger.

Will be watching the metals markets tonight to see if this is indeed the great crash, or just another blip.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 02-05-2018 at 09:54 PM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadboss101 View Post
    Good stuff. Where you at Phil Town's on the weekend? :-)

I was actually! Very good weekend. I’ve been following Buffett’s investment strategy for years. It was cool to see it so simplified.
    Last edited by vengie; 02-05-2018 at 10:29 PM.

BRK had great returns in the past. Recent performance has tracked the S&P500 almost exactly.

https://finance.google.ca/finance?q=...GJXSjAHq6rnIAg

Add BRK.B and look back 10 years. Should give you seven years of data.

Stairs up, elevator down. Typical action when fear and panic sets in. Give it a few months and it'll be back to making new highs again.

Anyone jumping into SPXL this morning? Tempted but I'd have to sell some positions to do so.

I had this crazy hypothesis that there would be a Bitcoin correction preceding a larger stock market correction. Hmm...

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 01:37 AM.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    Um... well fuck... my entire WealthSimple account gains were just completely wiped out. How the hell did that happened? mother fucker!

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

My TFSA is down 2% I had just switched it to more equities back in August.

Is it a good time to put in even more?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast