Quantcast
Help troubleshooting oven. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Help troubleshooting oven.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Default Help troubleshooting oven.

So last night when I was about to make a surprise dinner for wifey I find out the bottom heating element in the oven isn't working at all. I tested it out with with my multimeter and the element is measuring about 14 ohms which seems to be normal for a working element if my google-fu is correct. I'm assuming next step is to check the voltage coming out of the 2 leads going to the element, am I to expect ~240 VAC, or ~120 VAC (or something else)?

Also, if it ends up that the control board is f'd, are those generally worth repairing (or are there shops that would repair it)? It's probably a ~12-15 year old oven so I don't expect parts to be easy to come by, I can't find a new control board online, well one site has it listed but it's out of stock.

TIA

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

sometimes reseating the element will fix it. mine occasionally get loose.

The elements use 240 volt power.

Yup, as Sherman has mentioned, even if you measure 240V inside the oven where the element receptacle is (the place where the element plugs into), it may be a matter of reseating the element to make good contact.

If the usual places like Amre, Reliable, and Atlas Appliances don't have a new control panel (it sounds like your stove does not use old-style rheostat knobs for the burners and oven), maybe keep an eye for a used stove that's the same model as yours. Get the seller to demonstrate it works before you complete the deal, then either swap them for each other, or use one for a parts donor.

Or use this opportunity to treat yourself to a new stove! Or make it a Valentine's Day gift

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

I tested for voltage at the element and there was nothing. I tested continuity on that lead right from the control board and the wire is fine. At that point I figured the board is shot and put everything back together. Turned the oven on to heat something up, put it on the 2nd lowest rack thinking the top element heats it up enough to get by. Turn it on, no heat on the bottom as expected. Time passes, I check on the food and the bottom element is glowing red, super hot and functional. So now I ask; does the bottom element not come on right away for a bake cycle? Further research about ovens in general indicate some alternate firing up the top and bottom element for more even temperature in the oven. This is a 1999 Frigidaire with a digital control panel. Maybe it's working as designed after all, I'll have to test it out more tonight.

A new oven would be nice if we hadn't had to replace the washer, dryer, and TV since Christmas Eve

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Maybe if your wife was doing the cooking like she should be you wouldn't be having this problem.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Pushbroom

You sure you didn’t just have the oven set to broil? In broil mode only the top element comes on.

Last edited by J-hop; 02-08-2018 at 06:20 PM.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You sure you didn’t just have the oven set to broil? In broil mode only the top element comes on.
    Definitely set on bake. Ran a test last night and the bottom element didn't come on until it hit 300F on Bake (set it to 350F). I'll try some more tests and keep an eye on it, maybe this is all by design and I just didn't understand it worked this way.