Quantcast
Driving Tesla in winter cold conditions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Driving Tesla in winter cold conditions

Default Driving Tesla in winter cold conditions

Hi all !

Thinking of electric vehicle, Tesla in particular.
    How is it driving in real Alberta winter conditions ? Holding a charge ? Driving less distance than in summer ?

Thanks !

I wondered how they did in -30 temps as well, since that is hell on batteries, but I was told they have battery warmers.

If they do then those warmers must be eating up the same battery energy, which in turn should have reduce the overall charge. I'm really interested, since none of my friends could really answer to that.
    this is a topic I'm somewhat skeptical about. if it all worth it to get an electric vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm really interested, since none of my friends could really answer to that.
    this is a topic I'm somewhat skeptical about. if it all worth it to get an electric vehicle.
    I would eat such friends. /end thread troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebor View Post
    If they do then those warmers must be eating up the same battery energy, which in turn should have reduce the overall charge. I'm really interested, since none of my friends could really answer to that.
    Not only battery warmers but people warmers too. I think a car mag recently printed a cross American tour, they had to drive the whole way with no cabin heat as it decreased the range too much.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Rule of thumb, treat your EV range to be 1/2 in winter. Charge accordingly.

Also people usually only charged to 80% full except for long trips to preserve life of battery pack.

There will be temperature control for battery to keep it in -10C to 30C range. Warm and cooled. Battery life suffers outside of this range. When you supercharge your Tesla, it's fine in Winter but in summer, it will heat up to 44c and air conditioner will join in to keep it cool.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-07-2018 at 07:36 PM.

My Ride
    Changes everyday...

I heard also the range is 1/2 in winter, a friend borrowed a Tesla Model X back end of December 2017/January 2018 for a week or so.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

1/2 range loss in cold weather is normal, but it rarely matters unless you need to drive 200km daily regularly. When you get home you’re charging anyways at night so you’re topped up. Long distance trips are more challenging.

As explained above, range loss is from powering heaters inside the car as well as batteries.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 01:35 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    Probably don't go with Tesla either; financially they probably won't make it through the year and there goes your warranty whenever that happens
    But you get a collector car!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 01:35 AM.

Perhaps as an actual Tesla owner I can chime in. There is a loss of range in colder climates, I don’t think it is half unless it’s super cold (-30) which isn’t really all that often. Even then, for city that still isn’t an issue. As for driving in the winter, it’s easily the best winter car I’ve ever driven. You notice a huge difference with the center of gravity so low how incredibly well it handles in snow and ice. Our Model X with decent winter tires easily beats anything I’ve owned. Over the last 15 years I’ve owned 22 various vehicles so I can say that statement with reasonable experience.
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    Probably don't go with Tesla either; financially they probably won't make it through the year and there goes your warranty whenever that happens
    Blah blah blah, you’ve been saying that for years now. The stock actually went up $11/share today. But I guess you must be right and millions of investors dead wrong.
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

Quote Originally Posted by VWEvo View Post
    Perhaps as an actual Tesla owner I can chime in. There is a loss of range in colder climates, I don’t think it is half unless it’s super cold (-30) which isn’t really all that often. Even theni for city that still isn’t an issue. As for driving in the winter, it’s easily the best winter car I’ve ever driven. You notice a huge difference with the center of gravity so low how incredibly well it handles in snow and ice. Our Model X with decent winter tires easily beats anything I’ve owned. Over the last 15 years I’ve owned 22 various vehicles so I can say that statement with reasonable experience.
    Agree, for the city daily drive it is actually nice. My wife really likes and want it.
    Though, I doubt I could make a trip Edmonton-Jasper and back. That is holding me up from making that purchase decision.
    Looks we will have one more car than a replacement to existing SUV.

- - - Updated - - -

nice videos, thanks !
    I wish I could live in Calgary closer to Sunshine -)

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

How's the torque at light throttle in slippery conditions? My only reference point is a Prius I drove at work and between the garbage low rolling resistance tires and the twitchy torque it was terrible in snow. Obviously snow tires and awd helps a lot.

Thanks for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by VWEvo View Post
    Perhaps as an actual Tesla owner I can chime in. There is a loss of range in colder climates, I don’t think it is half unless it’s super cold (-30) which isn’t really all that often. Even then, for city that still isn’t an issue. As for driving in the winter, it’s easily the best winter car I’ve ever driven. You notice a huge difference with the center of gravity so low how incredibly well it handles in snow and ice. Our Model X with decent winter tires easily beats anything I’ve owned. Over the last 15 years I’ve owned 22 various vehicles so I can say that statement with reasonable experience.
    You probably don't park outdoors much (and neither do I mostly), but any ideas how parking outside in the winter affects range? Say -15C weather, what's the range impact over 3 hours (ie dinner at resturant) or overnight?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    How's the torque at light throttle in slippery conditions? My only reference point is a Prius I drove at work and between the garbage low rolling resistance tires and the twitchy torque it was terrible in snow. Obviously snow tires and awd helps a lot.

Thanks for sharing.
    lol reminds me of that psycho that posted the viral video of how he was selling his Tesla because it was extremely dangerous in the snow.

Also said he goes through tires like crazy in the summer. Basically sounded like an idiot that punched it everywhere he went.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    an idiot that punched it everywhere he went.
    That's me! But was wondering VWEvo's thoughts. He's probably smarter and a better driver than me.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

That's me! But was wondering VWEvo's thoughts. He's probably smarter and a better driver than me.
    Haha yea sorry that might have come across insulting towards you but wasn’t meant to be, this guy sounded like he was going to try to sue Tesla for ‘trying to kill him’

Honestly, I haven't had anything like that happen. Its as simple as just don't pin the gas pedal down, just be a little easy on it. Mind you , I don't have a "P" model, but the torque only really shows itself when you lay hard on the pedal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    You probably don't park outdoors much (and neither do I mostly), but any ideas how parking outside in the winter affects range? Say -15C weather, what's the range impact over 3 hours (ie dinner at resturant) or overnight?
    During the day, the car is parked outside all the time. There is definately a decline in range, but honestly its so weird, not enough that I actually notice it. Plus, I love shopping at CrossIron Mills where there is Primo parking and free supercharging!!!
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast