Quantcast
Driving Tesla in winter cold conditions - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Driving Tesla in winter cold conditions

My Ride
    G37X

Tesla's are basically the car for a rich snooty dude who didn't want to step down to a prius. But can still claim he's saving the environment*.

(* way faster/more expensive than any of my cars )

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably don't go with Tesla either; financially they probably won't make it through the year and there goes your warranty whenever that happens
    If you say something enough times it becomes true right?

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

So I was just talking about this with someone I know that owns a 75D. During the last 2 months with the really cold weather in Edmonton he did some testing, and while far from scientific, can give you a bit of an idea on the extreme cold and battery life.

1. From his warm garage to a warm parkade downtown (just under 20km and takes about 25 min) - doing that in around -20 only cuts his ideal range about 15%.

2. From his warm garage (overnight) to a cold parking lot on the west end (just under 25km and takes about 25 min) and sitting there cold for 8-10 hours in around -20-25 cuts his range by close to 50% - but that is only in the extreme cold

Now he is constantly back and forth between those two locations and his weeks are seldom ever identical and the weather obviously isn't and there are constantly other side trips, but this shows that the sitting in the cold seems to be significantly worse than just driving in the cold.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Um .. it may be difference ..

But for my Hybrid, from ~ 7.5L/100 to 8L/100 during warm/warm day (say 0c) to 9L-9.5L/100km during cold cold day ... so easy 20% difference! (well.. some warm up time ..) So may well drive ICE when -25c and colder ..
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

My mustang I have been driving this winter goes from ~11l/100 city to reliably over 17 when it’s cold.

Not like this isn’t a phenomenon that ice cars are exempt from is all I’m saying

It’s all a moot point really, it’s feb 2018 and I still couldn’t go out and buy a pseudo reasonably priced Tesla if I wanted to. Being a Tesla owner is a lifestyle and an experience at this point and is far from being ready for everyone for lots of reasons. Cold weather range seems like a very minor reason in the grand scheme.
    Last edited by killramos; 02-08-2018 at 03:51 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    My mustang I have been driving this winter goes from ~11l/100 city to reliably over 17 when it’s cold.

Not like this isn’t a phenomenon that affects ice cars is all I’m saying
    But how much gas do you save when it's not running?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    You probably don't park outdoors much (and neither do I mostly), but any ideas how parking outside in the winter affects range? Say -15C weather, what's the range impact over 3 hours (ie dinner at resturant) or overnight?
    I remember reading someone in Ottawa lost 15km of range in 6hr in -24C. Say it's 400km range of 75D, 3% of battery is used for warming it up for 6hrs. So if it's linear, 12% loss per day for a 75D.

But I would say winter driving, you may want to plugged it in if possible (even 120v) so you can leach from it to preheat on the grid before driving away.

Quote Originally Posted by C4S View Post
    Um .. it may be difference ..

But for my Hybrid, from ~ 7.5L/100 to 8L/100 during warm/warm day (say 0c) to 9L-9.5L/100km during cold cold day ... so easy 20% difference! (well.. some warm up time ..) So may well drive ICE when -25c and colder ..
    I think the mileage increase in winter is mostly because traffic sux. 0mpg at idle.

And for EVs, since there is no waste heat to warm the carbin, extra energy has to come off the battery.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-08-2018 at 04:40 PM.

Good to know what is really is.
    otherwise you get information on the range under 'best conditions'
    Besides Tesla, any one has an experience with other electric cars ? would they be similar to that winter conditions ?
    Regards,
    Nebor

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Not really anything, but figured this crowd would be interested. Saw a BMW i8 at the university this week. Looked good beside a Leaf and an XC90 T8 at the charging station
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

watching this closely, my main dilemma if I can have just one vehicle being EV or it has to be an additional vehicle ? i get it, it is great, but then i have to worry about 2 stalls, 8 winter tires, everything is essentially doubles. And I do long trips to the mountains fairly frequently. Still thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebor View Post
    watching this closely, my main dilemma if I can have just one vehicle being EV or it has to be an additional vehicle ? i get it, it is great, but then i have to worry about 2 stalls, 8 winter tires, everything is essentially doubles. And I do long trips to the mountains fairly frequently. Still thinking.
    If your heading to the mountain, (ie. West), then you have nothing to worry about. I have plenty of friends that have only the Tesla as their only vehicle and there is zero issue. Highway 1 has plenty of supercharging stations with more on their way. Make sure you get a 100D, then range wont be an issue.
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Nebor View Post
    For day trips, Canmore Supercharger will give you all the range you need. And if you do drive more than 200km away from Canmore Supercharger, north or south, just make sure your destination has charging station that you can plug in over night.

When you supercharge, don't worry about fully charging it. While it will give you 170 miles in 30min, the next 100 miles will take almost 1hr. Once battery hit 80%, charge rate slows. If you have enough juice to get to the next Supercharger or your destination charger, just leave.

If you are leaving the city, Tesla is probably the only game in town because of the Superchargers availability and longer range models. All other EVs, plugshare is your friend. Most EV charges at pretty much the same rate as Teslas at L1 or L2. L3 charging is where Tesla wins at 135kw while others tops out at 50kw (if you find the rate plug and charger).

Also, if your daily commute is more than 40km, chances are you need to invest on a 240V outlet in the garage or a L2 charger on top of that. 120V outlet just cannot replenish enough KWH in 8-10hrs.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-08-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Probably too early but so they have any data on how much supercharging regularly reduces the lifespan of the battery?

this is a great question, i did not even think of !
    by the way, what is battery life span in Alberta, if some one lived through that ?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Probably too early to tell and too many variables.

Like for Leaf owner, early years are really bad and lose 50% range within a few years but new battery technology fixed it later years.

Same with Tesla. Battery management improved over the years that make reliability data kinda useless. But average poll of users is about 10% loss after 250,000km with some extreme cases of 15%.

Not sure age counts but you would have done quite a few supercharger cycles if your Tesla hit 250,000km now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2