Quantcast
Intermittent loss of home internet - help me troubleshoot, and maybe improve my setup - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent loss of home internet - help me troubleshoot, and maybe improve my setup

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Intermittent loss of home internet - help me troubleshoot, and maybe improve my setup

I'm a telus internet subscriber, and we have the telus Actiontec v1000h router. From that router we have 1 desktop hardwired, 1 telus supplied wifi antenna that hooks up my second PVR, a couple of unmanaged 5 and 8 port switches, and in my basement, 1 Asus RT-N56U router.

My main issue is that I loose connectivity really often, like at least once a week I'll realize I have no internet on either wifi network or on hardwired devices. This sucks because I end up using a bunch of cellphone data while surfing on my phone. The solution is to unplug the actiontec router, leave it unplugged for at least five minutes, and then plug it back in. Everything seems to reset it self fine after that and things will work for another few days. I'm sure if I bitched to Telus, they'd give me a new router, but is that my best option?

My secondary, somewhat related issue is that I am running two wifi networks, and frankly neither one reaches everywhere very well. I do find most of the house is better served by the Asus router, but it doesn't reach to my garage, and I would like to it. My house and yard are not large (1800 square feet, two stories, yard is standard 120 feet deep, garage is only 30 feet from house). I hear newer routers have very good range (although I feel like I should reach this measly distance with current hardware), and I know there has been a lot of good feedback from the mesh wifi / managed wifi thread. We don't need blazing speed. If I can load a gallery from the chive or youtube I'm good to go.

So, 1) what's my best short term solution for a crappy telus router that drops internet regularly? and 2) If I was buying new hardware, how would you set up my network for ease of use and robustness?
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 02-10-2018 at 04:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Get your Telus router switched over to bridged mode so you take care of all the wifi/router functionality first.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Get your Telus router switched over to bridged mode so you take care of all the wifi/router functionality first.
    What he said.

For a small house, the mid range ASUS units work well out of the box, but if youre setup in the basement like most ISPs, it might be tough on the second floor.

My Ride
    1290SDR, 701SM

Sounds like you have a double NAT or a conflict running two routers.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Is Telus still using that same actiontec router? Any benefit to getting whatever the newer hardware is before moving further?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Is Telus still using that same actiontec router? Any benefit to getting whatever the newer hardware is before moving further?
    No. Do what I suggested bthen run your own hardware. It will be far better and reliable

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

1000V has long been replaced by newer routers, so I would reach out to Telus first. I have been running the 1000V for the longest time without the issues you described and was rock solid, so unless Telus connection itself to your house is dropping, your issue could be something else. The newer routers from telus allow you to set bridge mode yourself if you really want to do that. How is your second WiFi setup? You mentioned an ASUS router in your configuration. If you just plugged your Asus router into your network without doing any adjustments, you could be in for a world of hurt, as you could be on the same subnet...different subnet with double nat...dual DHCP servers.....a bunch of crazy shit that could make your network unreliable at best. I recommend you unplug the Asus router and see if the issue with your internet persists, or if things are resolved.

If you want to setup your Asus router proper, you have multiple options.

Option 1. Put Telus router into bridge mode (makes it basically a modem only, no WiFi from Telus, nothing at all, just a modem) and then connect your Asus router WAN port to the Actiontech LAN port. With this configuration, your Asus router will get a public IP on it's WAN interface and handle all the NAT translations and routing functions, and you will only have one wifi from your Asus router.

Option 2. Leave the Telus router as is, plug in your Asus router WAN port into the Telus LAN port, but make sure on the telus router to set the DMZ IP to that of the one acquired by your Asus router WAN interface. With this configuration, all traffic arriving at your Telus router will be forwarded to the Asus router. With this setup you will still have two WiFi networks, nowever, they will be two separate networks, both with ability to access the internet, but won't be able to talk between the two. If you connect your phone to Telus for example, and say a media player to the Asus wifi, you won't be able to control the media player with your phone, as the two networks are completely separate and not routeable between each other.

Option 3. Leave Telus router as is. Connect LAN port on ASUS to LAN port on Telus. Change the Asus router to act as an Access Point. Some routers will have this function, others will require you to manually set it, which is basically disabling DHCP server on the Asus. You would also want to change the LAN IP address to be on the same subnet, but different IP. For example, your Telus router is most likely 192.168.1.254, this is your gateway. Your Asus may be in the 192.168.0.1 for example as the gateway, in this case, you may want to change it to 192.168.1.253, so they are on the same subnet and can be managed from either WiFi network. With this configuration, your WiFi networks will have different names, but they will be connected, so you can communicate between devices across the two different WiFi networks.

I personally recommend you get a mesh network type wifi setup and call it a day instead of fucking around with other stuff. With this setup, you just plug the mesh adapters into Telus, and most of the other access points communicate with the primary one wirelessly, so you can place them at random places where you have a power plug to give you coverage in that part of the building. I would also at this point turn off the WiFi on the Telus and just use the Mesh wireless. There is nothing a normal home user does that would require anything more than what the Telus router can do, so might as well keep that in play, address the wireless issues with Wifi mesh setup, and call it a day. Your Telus router also does HPNA over coax to your TV boxes, so not sure if bridge mode is even an option with this.

Let me know if you need any more clarification.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

This sucks because I end up using a bunch of cellphone data while surfing on my phone.

My secondary, somewhat related issue is that I am running two wifi networks, and frankly neither one reaches everywhere very well.
    Holy. My situation to a T. In my case though, I think it is actually my phone on the fritz for the connectivity for the most part, though Shaw HAS had their router screw me a few times for sure and then like you said, ended up using up the entire month's data for the phone in 2 days without even knowing it.

And I too have difficulty with the signal reaching all over the house - and my router is on my main floor too.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well, needed telus to come replace my PVR for a different issue, and they replaced the old actiontec V1000h with a T3200M router. I had never put the previous one in bridge mode, but the tech set this one up with wifi disabled, so I should not have whatever conflict was occurring before.

will do some testing over the next couple of days with range and reliability from various areas of the house and garage with the asus router before I figure out if I'm happy with the situation.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 06-08-2018 at 06:08 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

New setup isn't that great. Standing in my kitchen, streaming radio, it keeps dropping.

Next steps?

House is a two story infill. Not large, 900 square feet per floor. Can locate router in basement or near front of house in office.

Google wifi 3-pack - is this just overkill, or is it the easiest simplest way to get solid WiFi everywhere. Google already runs the rest of my life, so.....

Some other router or an additional AP somewhere?
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 06-25-2018 at 07:32 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Google wifi 3 pack will be the easiest way to fix everything good enough. Not overkill, there are better ways (technically) to get good wifi, but for end users google wifi just works.

Buy it, try it, don't like it, return it.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Samsung Connect Home 3 packs are being cleared out right now. $179 at Lowes.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Download the WiFi Analyzer app on your phone and make sure you choose a channel that's not congested when setting up your WiFi network. Sometimes you just need to set it up manually.

I just left Telus this month, but over the last year I was having to reset my modem weekly to get my internet connection back. Replaced modem and had no improvement. Something to do with the supply line to my area I guess, because it was pretty consistent. Also ridiculously annoying.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

3 AP’s should be good for your setup, I personally think I need a third for my infill myself.

Google wifi is a good option for this.

Notably disabling wifi is not the same as bridge mode, probably still rocking double NAT which causes a ton of issues.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Peter the Techs may have disabled the wifi, but may have left the modem in router (no bridge mode) .... I had this with a client last week and they were not impressed as the Telus tech just fucked off after they complained, while they were onsite, about the issues (printers suddenly became very slow, wifi speeds suddenly sucked, etc.). Double NAT situation.

Once I slammed the new Telus modem into bridge mode (specific port), and reconnected their ASUS router, everything worked great (as before the modem upgrade).

Also, the R56 is a basic unit. You could be looking at something like this for your house to start with:

https://www.amazon.ca/RT-N66R-Dual-B...9944434&sr=1-3
    Last edited by revelations; 06-25-2018 at 10:42 AM.

My Ride
    A250

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    Samsung Connect Home 3 packs are being cleared out right now. $179 at Lowes.
    Has anyone tried the Samsung ones? How do they compare to google? I can't believe you can get 3 for the price of 1 google wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by AzNxHyDrA View Post
    Has anyone tried the Samsung ones? How do they compare to google? I can't believe you can get 3 for the price of 1 google wifi.
    I've had it them for about a month now and have had no issues. I have one on each floor and have a good signal every where in the house now as well as my backyard/garage/driveway. I can't comment how it compares to the google setup. The reason I went with the Samsung was because of the price/reviews/Smartthings. Setup was extremely simple as well.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Shit, will double check if I'm really in bridge mode.

My Ride
    A250

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    I've had it them for about a month now and have had no issues. I have one on each floor and have a good signal every where in the house now as well as my backyard/garage/driveway. I can't comment how it compares to the google setup. The reason I went with the Samsung was because of the price/reviews/Smartthings. Setup was extremely simple as well.
    That sounds really promising, I'll swing by Lowe's tonight, thanks for the recommendation.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Shit, will double check if I'm really in bridge mode.
    So forgive the handholding I apparently require.
    So this is in the router advanced settings, I want to "enable" the port1 bridge state, right?

Does that mean the only LAN port on the back of the unit I should be plugging into is port1? And I should probably be plugging that as directly as possible into my router? Is it a bad idea to use the other ports for other local devices?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast