Quantcast
Calgary micro-brewery and brewpub MEGA THREAD - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Calgary micro-brewery and brewpub MEGA THREAD

Banded Peak literally sold out. Didn't realize that Mill Street was also owned by Labatt. Can't blame them though. Given the opportunity I'd probably cash out too.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Banded Peak literally sold out. Didn't realize that Mill Street was also owned by Labatt. Can't blame them though. Given the opportunity I'd probably cash out too.
    Isn't selling out the goal of people who start a business? Good for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    TRD Pro

My go to is usually Annex, more so for the 'Lil Empire burgers on the Pop Shop side. Excellent food!

Other notables:
    '88 has great Pizza & Beer
    Cabin Brewery is great for those with kids (Kids charcuterie plate)
    Prarie Dog (Kids games, decent food and beer) and usually easy to get a table

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    My go to is usually Annex, more so for the 'Lil Empire burgers on the Pop Shop side. Excellent food!

Other notables:
    '88 has great Pizza & Beer
    Cabin Brewery is great for those with kids (Kids charcuterie plate)
    Prarie Dog (Kids games, decent food and beer) and usually easy to get a table
    Bad for anyone who likes good beer.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Love me some Night Gallery from 88, and yes noble pie is hella good pizza

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    I quite like Cabin's beer. Which ones have you tried? Or are you referring to kids being allowed in? I really like the Night Kitchen Pastry Stout (there are 2 versions of this), Red Wagon, the NZ IPA they have on tap right now, and the Blueberry Cobbler. Cabin was started by the guy who left Wild Rose Brewing who was responsible for the High Harvest Hemp IPA from what I've been told.

The other thing I like about Cabin is that Born Colorado, Banded Peak, Annex, and Establishment are all walking distance from it if you want to do a mini tour.

The only Brewery I've been to so far that I really didn't care for was Paddys - there were literally toddlers crawling around behind the bar last time I was there. It was like if they transplanted bar seating into a day-care, and acted as though nothing was wrong lol.

Also I don't know if the OP's list is supposted to be complete but it's missing: Revival Brewcade and Ol' Beautiful in Inglewood, and for the ones just off McLeod trail, it's missing Establishment and Born Colorado. Establishment sells glamorgan cheese buns too
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-11-2020 at 04:19 PM.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I quite like Cabin's beer. Which ones have you tried? Or are you referring to kids being allowed in? I really like the Night Kitchen Pastry Stout, Red Wagon, the NZ IPA they have on tap right now, and the Blueberry Cobbler. Cabin was started by the guy who left Wild Rose Brewing who was responsible for the High Harvest Hemp IPA from what I've been told.

The other thing I like about Cabin is that Born Colorado, Banded Peak, Annex, and Establishment are all walking distance from it if you want to do a mini tour.

The only Brewery I've been to so far that I really didn't care for was Paddys - there were literally toddlers crawling around behind the bar last time I was there. It was like if they transplanted bar seating into a day-care, and acted as though nothing was wrong lol.
    Does Paddy's use a smart brew system, or have an actual brew master? I walked in and out once and it looked like an automated system.

https://www.smartbrew.com/'

I looked into starting a micro brew pub with this technology several years ago after my trip in New Zealand (https://www.craftytrout.co.nz/brewery), but figured I was way behind the 8 ball and brewery margins tend to suck. It's cool technology and makes a great beer though.

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Does Paddy's use a smart brew system, or have an actual brew master? I walked in and out once and it looked like an automated system.

https://www.smartbrew.com/'

I looked into starting a micro brew pub with this technology several years ago after my trip in New Zealand (https://www.craftytrout.co.nz/brewery), but figured I was way behind the 8 ball and brewery margins tend to suck. It's cool technology and makes a great beer though.
    I don't know to be honest - I was there with a group and every one of us really didn't like the place so we have not been back since. The food was average at best, I didn't care for the beer, and there were as many unsupervised kids in there running around screaming as there were patrons.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Margin per incremental pint is really good. Total profit, not good.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Last time I was there in the summer they had a really good gose or sour (cant remember) so I was happy.. but as I understand a few taps rotate, so it depends on what you like to drink. '88 and Annex are my favorites as their sours are regularly stocked.(And have great food)

I thought the Paddys BBQ was good.. certainly better than Prarie Dog. I tend to base most of it on the Brisket.. whether its fresh and moist or dry and reheated.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Prairie dog is weak bbq.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I quite like Cabin's beer. Which ones have you tried? Or are you referring to kids being allowed in? I really like the Night Kitchen Pastry Stout (there are 2 versions of this), Red Wagon, the NZ IPA they have on tap right now, and the Blueberry Cobbler. Cabin was started by the guy who left Wild Rose Brewing who was responsible for the High Harvest Hemp IPA from what I've been told.

Also I don't know if the OP's list is supposted to be complete but it's missing: Revival Brewcade and Ol' Beautiful in Inglewood, and for the ones just off McLeod trail, it's missing Establishment and Born Colorado. Establishment sells glamorgan cheese buns too
    I've been on a few occasions as like you said its smack in the middle of that walking tour. Will probably be there again this weekend as we are going for a tour for my birthday.

But the last few times I have been I can't say I have enjoyed really any of their offerings.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Despite the many breweries in town, no one can make a good weiss beer like the Germans.

Also, someone should try and make a "tribute" (aka attempt to replicate) a Westy XII.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Despite the many breweries in town, no one can make a good weiss beer like the Germans.

Also, someone should try and make a "tribute" (aka attempt to replicate) a Westy XII.
    Try Good Mood. It's in some shit industrial area but it's more traditional German recipes. I'm not a huge fan of Wheat Beer but I thought theirs was a nice change.
    And, their Cream Ale is spectacular!

My Ride
    99 Blazer

And the grilled cheese is great!

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Try Good Mood. It's in some shit industrial area but it's more traditional German recipes. I'm not a huge fan of Wheat Beer but I thought theirs was a nice change.
    And, their Cream Ale is spectacular!
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Gts View Post
    And the grilled cheese is great!
    Sounds like a win!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Silverado

Hilarious that the barley belt wants to start over instead of letting banded peak stay.

Why would they start a new brand with no equity and kick out the guys with the biggest marketing budget. Doesn't make sense.

Annex, banded peak, the establishment are great. But i think 88 and born colorado are my faves
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 02-12-2020 at 08:05 AM.

I've been on a few occasions as like you said its smack in the middle of that walking tour. Will probably be there again this weekend as we are going for a tour for my birthday.

But the last few times I have been I can't say I have enjoyed really any of their offerings.
    That's fair, obviously it's very subjective.

They have 5 or 6 mainstay beers, and then they rotate through lots of small batch stuff that isn't around for long. If you caught them between batches when selection was poor, that might have been part of the problem.

I was there last week and they had probably 12 beers, so likely something for everyone.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    But i think 88 and born colorado are my faves
    88 is awesome and their pizza is great.

Need another Beyond meet there and soon!

Last Best was good also, I’ll be back.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Is it even open yet?
    Nope

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast