Quantcast
Need help with laptop selection for a 13th birthday present - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help with laptop selection for a 13th birthday present

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default Need help with laptop selection for a 13th birthday present

Hey gang!

I am no longer the computer guru I was, and I have not kept up on specs in today's laptop world, so I need some help.

My daughter's 13th birthday is coming up in March, and I would like to get her a new laptop for her birthday and I am hoping you guys can help me pick one up.

Budget: ~$500-$600
    uses: Heavy internet browsing - Google, youtube, Netflix, etc. Light gaming like minecraft, roblox, browser games. Will be used for more homework applications.

would like to have a full keyboard and keep the screen at 15" or larger.

Would like to be able to keep using this laptop for 3-5 years.

NO Apple products. LOL
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

That budget will probably net you something with the following specs:

i5
    8G RAM
    1TB HDD
    Integrated GPU

It'll be your run of the mill laptop, nothing special with no bells and whistles. You can probably snag one that's around $549.99 when they're on sale. Otherwise, they'll be $650+ regular price.

Otherwise, $500-600 puts you into either an i3 or AMD A6/10 processor. Personally, I prefer Intel over AMD.

No build difference between brands IMO. Some people like touchpad buttons, design preference etc.

Look at cloning everything onto a 500GB SSD if you want to make it faster.

https://www.amazon.ca/Acer-Aspire-i5...eywords=laptop

I ordered this Asus for my parents when it was $549.99

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product.../10573740.aspx

The only problem with that budget means you probably won't be getting an SSD, which means it will be slow AF and spinner drives are common failure points. May not matter though given the intended usage (browsing, word processing, etc.)

This is pretty close to your budget and on sale:

https://www3.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptop...4/p/80X400EJUS

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX69043

Or the Asus rx7boi posted is good too.

If you go much cheaper than that you might as well just get a tablet or something because they get pretty crappy pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only problem with that budget means you probably won't be getting an SSD, which means it will be slow AF and spinner drives are common failure points.
    That's only partially correct.

The main advantage of an SSD over a spin drive when it comes to a laptop, is that laptops are often moved around and prone to physical shock. The physical components of a spin drive are extremely sensitive, thus even the most superficial "bump" can fuck up the read/write head alignment.

SSD's are faster, but that doesn't apply to most end users, as said programs are already governed by RAM.

With that said, also ignore anyone who talks about the system specs, as even the most basic computer will be far more powerful than what the end users needs.

BTW OP: Kudos on avoiding the Apple products. Apple is just a very costly fashion statement.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Seth1968; 02-12-2018 at 01:01 PM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Since your daughter's requirements are predominately web-based anyways, maybe also consider looking at some Chromebooks as well. It's obviously not as resource heavy as Windows so you don't need higher specs as you would a full blown laptop. A lot of schools issue out Chromebooks to their students in the US, so they're clearly usable for schoolwork.

Just make sure you get one that has the Play Store out-the-box:
    https://www.androidcentral.com/these...n-android-apps

You obviously have access to all the Google office apps, but you can also download the Microsoft Office apps as well. Many of them are starting to come out with touchscreens too, so they also double up as tablets.

I bought a small 11.6" one last year for under $200 brand new just to try out for traveling and I was surprised with how much I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth1968 View Post

The main advantage of an SSD over a spin drive when it comes to a laptop, is that laptops are often moved around and prone to physical shock. The physical components of a spin drive are extremely sensitive, thus even the most superficial "bump" can fuck up the read/write head alignment.

SSD's are faster, but that doesn't apply to most end users, as said programs are already governed by RAM.

With that said, also ignore anyone who talks about the system specs, as even the most basic computer will be far more powerful than what the end users needs.

BTW OP: Kudos on avoiding the Apple products. Apple is just a very costly fashion statement.

- - - Updated - - -
    I would argue an SSD is about the only thing that someone who doesn't know anything about computers can appreciate. That has certainly been my experience with upgrades I have done for people who don't know the first thing about computers - they think they got a brand new computer or something and all I did was give them a SSD haha. When I switched my work PC over, there was a night & day difference even in Word/Excel/Powerpoint. If you remove the weakest link (the HDD) everything else runs faster because when the HDD is "thinking" all the time, even during basic tasks, everything else slows to a crawl. Cold start ups and restarts are exponentially faster as well.

Not saying his daughter needs an SSD per se, but it would be something I would stretch the budget for if it wasn't far out of reach.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    Since your daughter's requirements are predominately web-based anyways, maybe also consider looking at some Chromebooks as well. It's obviously not as resource heavy as Windows so you don't need higher specs as you would a full blown laptop. A lot of schools issue out Chromebooks to their students in the US, so they're clearly usable for schoolwork.

Just make sure you get one that has the Play Store out-the-box:
    https://www.androidcentral.com/these...n-android-apps

You obviously have access to all the Google office apps, but you can also download the Microsoft Office apps as well. Many of them are starting to come out with touchscreens too, so they also double up as tablets.

I bought a small 11.6" one last year for under $200 brand new just to try out for traveling and I was surprised with how much I liked it.
    Some of the Chromebooks are surprisingly excellent - there is a fairly large quality range though from "toy" to "same as a laptop" so you need to make sure you get a decent one. The newer ones can also run any Android app now, if I am not mistaken.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Google office apps are absolutely as good as MS office for student use. Probably better of they do much group work as the built in collaboration tools are top notch.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

- - - Updated - - -
    I hate Apple products, and I have tried a few of them. If their price was inline with the quality of the parts inside them, I would be more inclined to use them, but I just don't like the company business model.

I would consider chromebooks as well, but I just need the windows compatibility with damn near everything, so I would prefer to stick to a windows OS.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

I've had my 11" thinkpad almost 4 years now and it's been a good shitposter toaster. Mine's an x140e but I think they have a newer 11" model now. They go for around 300-400 bucks depending on spec.

Alternatively you can get a heck of a laptop for a couple hundred bucks off City of Calgary's surplus site. They have stacks of them so you can go select the one that isn't beat to shit.

https://surplus.calgary.ca/docs/Computer-Price-List.pdf

Don’t you already have a thread exactly like this?

Dell.ca. Inspiron 3000 line for your type of budget, they finance too like $17/month for 48 months if you need it. You can even splurge for a 5000 model for like $20/month for 48 months. Skip lunch for a few days, whamo you have your $20.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

15" is actually big in terms of screen sizes these days, anything more than 14" and you lose a lot of the portability benefit... nobody wants to haul a big brick around...

some good value here.
    https://www.dellrefurbished.ca/lapto...50&order=price
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Rage2

Also, Protip, use coupon code VAL2018

42% off... thats $under $300 for a Latitude E7440, you wont get a better deal.

(or be the awesomest dad ever and spend around $400 for the high res with touch screen)
    Last edited by Thaco; 02-13-2018 at 12:46 PM.

^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post

(or be the awesomest dad ever and spend around $400 for the high res with touch screen)
    Great spot Taco.

@spike s I would look at the E7440. Latitudes are solid compared to inspirons and some others, plus warranty. It'll be a solid machine for your daughter.
    Last edited by BokCh0y; 02-13-2018 at 10:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post

is the E7440 the high res with touch screen? their website is kinda weak on a lot of details. I assume you meant the under $300 for the E6440? I will spend the extra for the better of the 2 since both are way under the budget I had if the machine is going to do everything she is going to need it for.

and I found 2 different E7440 on there too, one has a 128gb HDD, the other has a 500gb...neither says if they are SSD or spinners.

pretty much looking at this one.
    https://www.dellrefurbished.ca/dell-...40-111493.html
    Last edited by spikerS; 02-13-2018 at 10:51 PM.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    Rage2

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    is the E7440 the high res with touch screen? their website is kinda weak on a lot of details. I assume you meant the under $300 for the E6440? I will spend the extra for the better of the 2 since both are way under the budget I had if the machine is going to do everything she is going to need it for.

and I found 2 different E7440 on there too, one has a 128gb HDD, the other has a 500gb...neither says if they are SSD or spinners.

pretty much looking at this one.
    https://www.dellrefurbished.ca/dell-...40-111493.html
    after the coupon code the normal e7440 is under $300, the E7440 touchscreen high res is just under $400

a 128 is likely to be a SSD, but it doesnt say so i wouldnt count on it. (also you can get a 128gb sssd for liek $50 so i wouldnt sweat it too much)

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  48.0 KB

reg 7440 https://www.dellrefurbished.ca/dell-...440-99925.html

high res touchscreen 7440 https://www.dellrefurbished.ca/dell-...40-111492.html
    Last edited by Thaco; 02-14-2018 at 08:07 AM.

^^ Fact Checked

- - - Updated - - -
    I respectfully disagree. An SSD should be a top priority. If you can't find a laptop that includes one, you should budget to install one yourself. It is by far the best upgrade you can do and will make the laptop feel MUCH snappier. For boot times alone it is worth it but everything else will feel much quicker as well as other people have explained. Then as a bonus: no moving parts, sound, etc...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Don't most ssd's greatly improve battery life too? That's a huge bonus for a student.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Rage2

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Don't most ssd's greatly improve battery life too? That's a huge bonus for a student.
    yeah, definitely ssd is the #1 upgrade... especially because it can be done to any machine, you're not limited in laptops like many other things. (ram, vid card, etc...)

And they're so cheap now, its a no brainer, easily best bang for your buck.... can make a 5+ year old brick a speed machine again.

^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by captain134 View Post
    I respectfully disagree. An SSD should be a top priority. If you can't find a laptop that includes one, you should budget to install one yourself. It is by far the best upgrade you can do and will make the laptop feel MUCH snappier. For boot times alone it is worth it but everything else will feel much quicker as well as other people have explained. Then as a bonus: no moving parts, sound, etc...
    Uh disagree on what?

Of course an SSD is much faster and more reliable than a spin drive, but that's mainly only applicable on initially opening a program, or boot time. Once a program is cached, the SSD will have little to do with speed, especially when just about all uses of a computer are web based. For example, wait until you have fully restarted your computer, then try to open a program. There will be a significant speed advantage with an SSD at this point. Now close the program and re-open it. It should now open almost instantaneously regardless if you use an SSD or spin drive.

Also, what's this big deal about boot time? A properly running computer shouldn't take more than 1 minute to boot, and a computer should be put to sleep, and rarely need a shutdown / restart.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Laptops get turned on and off many times per day. At least mine does and I suspect that's how a student would use it.

Boot time on a desktop doesn't matter, but on a laptop it's actually a big deal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast