Quantcast
Alternatives to Apple Airpods? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to Apple Airpods?

Default Alternatives to Apple Airpods?

Hi all,

Before I go and shell out the $230 for Apple Airpods, just thought I'd ask to see if anyone else has found a better alternative i.e. better sound quality, price, etc. I see there's lots around the $50 and then some in the higher end around $350+. I'm sure someone here has done some of the research so if they could share, that would be great! TIA

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

For completely wireless, Jabra Elite Sport is decent https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...10538261.aspx?

For wired, Sennheiser just came out with CX 6.0 BT for $129

My Ride
    Silverado

i was going to get jaybirds, have heaerd good things.

I just watched this the other day. It isn't just for Android but it covers off most of the options.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4EKZRlpcIM

My Ride
    This and that.

If you are an iPhone user, I don't see any other wireless headphone (Airpods style) that has as seamless of an user experience as the Airpods. I strictly got mine for gym and they do an outstanding job.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you are an iPhone user, I don't see any other wireless headphone (Airpods style) that has as seamless of an user experience as the Airpods. I strictly got mine for gym and they do an outstanding job.
    My dad has tried a couple brands ranging in price from $75 to $125 and the airpods at the end of the day are the winner lol

I just can't bring myself to make that investment. I just don't see the value lol but of course I have spent money on dumber things haha

I read a ton of reviews/went through videos on all the true wireless buds a few months ago. Ultimately it just felt the cost vs performance wasn't there to justify (to me at least). So when the Jaybird X3's went on sale for $89 on black friday I pounced on them and so far have been very happy with them. They may not be true wireless but do everything I need.

If you dig in it seems every single true wireless has some major draw backs, whether that is comfort, battery life, connection/sync issues, phone call/mic are weak, button practicality, sound quality etc. Given the technology is still in its early stages it looks like they are having growing pains getting it to a decent level. Especially when you start talking $250-400 prices. I can live with a short band between headphones along with 8+ hours of battery life at 1/3 of the cost for now.

But from what I did look in prior it seemed if you are active/care about sound that the Jaybird/Jabras were the best of the bunch if that helps. Bose was getting slammed. Most people knock the apple comfort/sound quality but much like opinions, depends who you ask.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Anker Zolo Liberty+.
    Like others have said, not as seamless as Airpods but in my experience they connect pretty quickly and sound way better than Airpods to boot.

My Ride
    2013 Scion FR-S 10-Series M/T

I went with Bragi The Headphones which I got from eBay for about $125 new. They sound good, no audio-video sync issues, they fit snuggly, they look slick, and battery life is good. For the price, I can live with a battery-less case, lack of swipe gestures & health sensors & waterproofing, and the tiny buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    My dad has tried a couple brands ranging in price from $75 to $125 and the airpods at the end of the day are the winner lol

I just can't bring myself to make that investment. I just don't see the value lol but of course I have spent money on dumber things haha
    Lol, that's so true, I'm going back and forth debating over $200ish dollars but I've spent way more money on dumb things. I guess since I'm going to be going apple along with the rest of the family, Airpods are going to be the way to go for seamless connectivity.

I did order a pair of $30 wireless ear bud on amazon but that's probably just going to be a waste.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

LOL putting airpods and sound quality in the same sentence is silly talk.

I have these https://www.anker.com/products/varia...phone/A3233011 and have no complaints.

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post

I will admit that it was a bit of a 'bite the bullet' situation for me as well especially because the only time I even use headphones is in the gym which is not as regular as it should be lol. I have other Bose and Beats headphones but since the Airpods I exclusively only use them. Not necessarily for their sound quality which is decent enough but just for the ease of use and how it communicates with the other Apple devices I have. It's a one time investment so I figured why not but yea Apple definitely likes to gouge customers on every freaking thing.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    LOL putting airpods and sound quality in the same sentence is silly talk.
    There are 2 areas of sound quality for Airpods that perform wildly different. For music, it's passable. It's literally the same quality as the free out of box earpods. For voice and handsfree talk capabilities, it's the best headset I've owned, wired or wireless.

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Not necessarily for their sound quality which is decent enough but just for the ease of use and how it communicates with the other Apple devices I have.
    The whole initial connectivity isn't a huge deal. It's set and forget anyways. What Airpods and other Apple W1 sets improve on is the reliability of the wireless connection, especially in areas where there's a large number of other wireless devices. Gyms, trains, malls, +15, it's night and day difference compared to my other Bluetooth headphones. W1 enabled ones have zero drops.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

The Airpods are junk for music, the $30 sets from Amazon sound better and are designed better. The Airpods are only decent for voice calls.

I suggest the Jaybird X3's (regularly on sale for $89-$99) or the JLab Epic 2's (Microsoft store sells them). They are both waterproof/sweatproof if you need them for the gym and battery life is good.

If you want a cheap set, the Anker Soundbuds line on Amazon is unbeatable for $30-$35 with thousands of positive reviews. We have a pair of those as well.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    The Airpods are junk for music, the $30 sets from Amazon sound better and are designed better. The Airpods are only decent for voice calls.
    I don't think most people care about music audio quality, and value the other benefits of the Airpods, which is why they're selling so well. People that actually care about audio quality is such a miniscule segment of the market.

With that said, I do care, just not as much as I used to. I do use the Airpods most of the time, especially during workouts or out skating. The audio quality is good enough for the job. For times when I want to relax and listen to every single distinct note of each guitar in a song, I throw on my OTE cans.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2022 X2M

I have to agree with rage here. I have 6 different Bluetooth headphones and I use the AirPods every single day. Yes I have 2 pairs that sound better but no so much better that I can give up the convenience of being able to pop out one keep listening or talking and then pop it back in 10 minutes later and use it for 3 more hours then repeat on the other side.

The charging case is a huge win and the seemless transfer between devices is as well. I can be watching a movie on my iPad and my phone will ring, with other headsets I need to answer then go through the process of connecting that device to my headset. The AirPods do it without me doing anything. If I’m watching a video in bed and my wife won’t stop talking it will pause the video when I pull the AirPod out of my ear to listen to what she has to say.

For me the user experience trumps the small difference is music quality and the call quality on AirPods cannot be beat. I made a call from the concourse at the last flames game and my wife could hear me perfectly which none of my other headsets could come close too.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Note that if you’re on Android, these features are specific to Apple Devices, so the AirPods on an android would become an overpriced simple Bluetooth earbuds.

People who say they cant justify airpods for the gym, dont go the gym that much. Its so nice for certain exercises (deadlift, barbell bentover row etc) to be able to take your phone out of your pocket and keep listening to music.

When I first bought them I was skeptical because of the price (waited 2 months for them); but not having to move the wire on certain exercises, not having to straighten the wire and uncurl it etc is great. Going on 1 year with them now.

Ok... the airpods dont sound amazing, but Im not in the studio... just need my music to block out the shitty gym music and the excessive groaners lol. Also agree with rage/kavy, hands free calling is amazing on these things.
    Last edited by tomt64; 01-27-2018 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Paragraphing

Quote Originally Posted by tomt64 View Post
    Ok... the airpods dont sound amazing, but Im not in the studio... just need my music to block out the shitty gym music and the excessive groaners lol. Also agree with rage/kavy, hands free calling is amazing on these things.
    That's really the bottom line - if you aren't using them for voice, a $30 set from Amazon beats them for sound quality, and the $90-100 sets like Jaybird X3's or JLab's are better yet. They aren't even waterproof/sweatproof, which is a joke for $220. They are good for voice calls, that's about it. If you want them for music or the gym you can save a lot of money, and if you destroy them it's not a big deal with a pair that costs <$100.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I picked up AirPods for my mom at launch last year. Can’t beat apple products for the technologically inept. Have been perfect for her walking the dog, hands free calls, etc. Keep in mind that the average person isn’t like you, and finds Bluetooth pairing annoying.

I have a pair now myself that I just keep on me for whenever, no Bluetooth in my winter car so I can pop one in if I need to take a call. I find them perfect for that random time I want some tunes out of the blue. At home I listen to speakers but if I need to do some work for 20 minutes before or between a class they are pretty great.

It’s just music to me and I don’t look into it. Much more convenient than carrying my over ears around every day with me, I only break those out for travelling now.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast