Quantcast
do we need to do inspections on new construction? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: do we need to do inspections on new construction?

Default do we need to do inspections on new construction?

HI all
    just have a question and see whats everyone's answer is.
    if you built a home with a builder, would you do a house inspection before possession?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

If I had personally been around for enough of the construction, I can't see a home inspector uncovering any more than walking through the place myself.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

After years of finding shady bullshit from my builder. I would have gotten an inspection done in hindsight.

It’s amazing what shit costs to fix after the fact, the extra money for the inspection is basically a rounding error at the end of the day.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    After years of finding shady bullshit from my builder. I would have gotten an inspection done in hindsight.

It’s amazing what shit costs to fix after the fact, the extra money for the inspection is basically a rounding error at the end of the day.
    But are these all visual issues that a inspector could actually find? From my experience, the only builder issues I have found were buried behind walls that I discovered later.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Some builders do not allow you to use a 'professional' home inspector at walk through stage or anyone that isn't on the purchase agreement. Check your purchase documents.

With that said we're walking through our house at least once a week checking stuff while its being built which is way more beneficial than after its completed. Like others said once everything is closed up you're pretty much hooped.

My Ride
    Silverado

many walk throughs throughout. May be worth consulting one before hand to see what is in the purchase agreement. So many things that are best practice are not in code and the builder will resort to it in case of discrepancy. even if the consultant and the builder know that it is not best practice.

Personally I would take to experienced people and discuss things that may be better to include at the negotiation stage.

My Ride
    XT6

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    many walk throughs throughout. May be worth consulting one before hand to see what is in the purchase agreement. So many things that are best practice are not in code and the builder will resort to it in case of discrepancy. even if the consultant and the builder know that it is not best practice.

Personally I would take to experienced people and discuss things that may be better to include at the negotiation stage.
    When I purchased my last home, the builder provided a "3rd party inspector" (how 3rd party they are when they are paid by the builder is up for debate).

To be honest, I also paid for a separate independent inspection.

The 3rd party inspector actually found more deficiencies (and ones that mattered to me) than the paid independent inspector.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    But are these all visual issues that a inspector could actually find? From my experience, the only builder issues I have found were buried behind walls that I discovered later.
    Not sure, but I don’t see how this is different than using an inspector in any other case?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

for a small fee You can save yourself a lot of head ache by hiring an inspector. The one poster is correct that a builder may not allow an inspection. It blows my mind that no one ever gets an inspection done on a new build.

I would always tell my clients that id be happy to get an inspection done but no one ever does one.

Your walk throughs most likely dont include jumping into thr attivs nor will you have the same attention to detail in a walk through like your inspector will. 100% get an inspection

The city inspects the construction. Builders also have a walkthrough where you can bring up cosmetic issues. Forum